Anglo Irish Annual Regular Savings Account

Re: Anglo Irish launches new 8% Regular Savings Account

It's to see this rate lasting much longer - Anglo have cut a lot of their rates since nationalisation and it's much higher than the rest of the market.

Can you change your monthly deposit & what's the minimum?

If so it might be worth opening an account. If they lower rates you could lower the monthly amount and then withdraw after 6 months. Any thoughts?

"Anglo have cut a lot of their rates since nationalisation " ?? They announced fixed term cuts before nationalisation...and after ECB rate cut, as have many banks who havent been nationalised...with money market rates down in the 2%'s, their ECB +2% guarantee may be the best you get. The honeymoon is over on all these accounts.BOI at 7% looks lofty also, so methinks these products will be withdrawn during the year.

Reg. Savers rate being cut from 8.00% to 7.35%.

Good spot! Had to happen at some stage I guess. I assume you get whatever interest accrued already at 8% and from today on its 7.3% yeah?

Its still a good rate at 7.35%.

Indeed. Who else is offering 7%+? The BOI reg saver is more limited in the amount you can contribute and the max balance.

are anglo still payin 8% for regular saver? how is this when ECB rate is 2% and falling. i presume they could drop it to 4% when ever they want (ECB plus 2%)

any opinions?

Is this rate cut on new accounts or existing regular saver accounts as mine still shows 8% when logged into anglo connect

You obviously haven't read the previous posts on this thread - if you had your question was answered.

who are you talking to old timer

Very Interesting. Looks like Northern Rock have once again the market leading on demand rate.

Yes, but for how more longer will they be offering this rate? I'd say it's likely NR will drop that rate within weeks.

i ve gone through the thread and cant find why the 7.3% is correct is it not 2% + ECB (i.e 2.5%). could someone please explain to me or tell me what posting number this is explained in

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what your question is. The minimum rate on the account will be ECB + 2.0% which at present is 1.5% + 2.0% = 3.5%. However this is only the minimum rate. The actual rate may be higher than this.

Thanks. sorry thought ECB was only 0.5%. and i get it now. it can be as low as 3.5% but actually is 7.3% or people would close their accounts

This thread is misleading.

I saw it and thought there was a great new deal out there, but then see that it was first started nearly a year ago.:rolleyes:

I agree and also some German guy connected with the ECB (cant remember his name or role) suggested very recently that rates were at their bottom..almost so all or some of these rates will surely rise up over the next few months makign it a good time to save IMO.

almost so all or some of these rates will surely rise up over the next few months

Retail deposit rates are not going to rise. Now you have rates ECB+4%, this is not going to last. You will get ECBish rates, whether the ECB is 1% or 1.5% does not make a whole lot of difference. Of course inflation will probably be -3%, so this is as high a real rate as savers have ever achieved.

Retail deposit rates are not going to rise. Now you have rates ECB+4%, this is not going to last. You will get ECBish rates, whether the ECB is 1% or 1.5% does not make a whole lot of difference. Of course inflation will probably be -3%, so this is as high a real rate as savers have ever achieved.

Good point at the end there, yeah I agree the ECB plus 4 wont last but as you say seeing as there will be no inflation for the near future by the looks of it even very low saving rates will mean savings a/cs will be worth sticking money in for the near and maybe not so near future.

Back