An Post requested copy of will

Giant Haystacks

Hi all

I’ve used the forum now and then over the years but never posted a question before.

My dads estate has been in probate for a year now. Recently An Post have requested a copy of his will in relation to a savings account.

Now I understand wills are eventually filed and made available to the public but I thought an element of confidentiality would apply until then. I thought in general savings institutions requested a death certificate rather than a copy of the deceased persons will.

Is it normal procedure?

Thanks in advance for any answers/opinions.

Sorry just to be clear, the request was sent to the solicitor where my dad made his will and was sent to An Post already

Any use?
The A Post notification of death form (I can't find a direct link to it so you may have to Google it) asks for a search cert and not a copy of the will.
Yes that’s helpful thanks

I notice it does say the following..

• Last Will & Testament: where there is a will available, the original or a certified copy of this document should be enclosed to verify who is/are the executor(s) of the estate.

They need to verify that the person contacting them is the executor.

Banks and other authorities will ask for this also; nothing unusual here.

You can call in and have them make their own copy of the originals (will / death cert) while you wait; saves you having to get the copy certified as they effectively do the certification themselves.

They need to verify that the person contacting them is the executor.

Banks and other authorities will ask for this also; nothing unusual here.

You can call in and have them make their own copy of the originals (will / death cert) while you wait; saves you having to get the copy certified as they effectively do the certification themselves.
Ok thanks. I thought letting the solicitor carry out the probate would make the whole affair easier and quicker but it doesn’t seem like that really.

Ok thanks. I thought letting the solicitor carry out the probate would make the whole affair easier and quicker but it doesn’t seem like that really.
Not in my experience; when I realised I would still have to do the legwork, I chose to do the entire thing myself.

Last edited:
Surely the letter of administration is more appropriate, the person named in the will need not necessarily be the person who eventually executes the will.

Surely the letter of administration is more appropriate, the person named in the will need not necessarily be the person who eventually executes the will.
I naively thought if it was done by a solicitor that would have been the case but I hadn’t ever done it before.

Thought it was worth a quick reply on this topic as it may be useful to others.

I’m still waiting on access to this account (which is in joint names btw) so I can pay a nursing home bill and some other bits and pieces including a pension overpayment. A Post have been no help at all. Each person I speak to has told me something different and whenever I’ve sent a letter they don’t reply. My solicitor has asked me to contact them but they tell me she never replied to them either.

I’m now finding the whole thing very frustrating and feel that I would have been better off not asking a solicitor to handle his estate, which is not of very high value nor complicated as we have a very small family and my mother is still alive. From my experience so far I would advise people to do it themselves.

Not in my experience; when I realised I would still have to do the legwork, I chose to do the entire thing myself.
Currently going through probate right now on my Father's estate as executor. Solicitor is doing everything. He will gather in all the assets and debts, (including funeral expenses) and is also writing to the nursing home as we are due some money back there.

In terms of An Post, there is a notification of death form for current accounts that needs to be submitted with a certified copy of the death cert
Potentially something similar is needed for other accounts

An Post are correct in terms of not giving you access to the funds at the minute. How do they know you are entitled to them?. it's especially relevant if the estate is being divided accross multiple beneficiaries

To me, the issue here is less with An Post and more with your solicitor not doing their job

Solicitor is doing everything. He will gather in all the assets and debts, (including funeral expenses) and is also writing to the nursing home as we are due some money back there
Horses for courses; but be aware there is a charge for every letter.

From my experience so far I would advise people to do it themselves.
Agreed. My husband left everything to me in the will. All that was in his sole name were 3 small savings accounts in AIB. I just didn't feel emotionally up to doing the work needed at the time, and asked a solicitor to handle it. Twice I was called back to their office to sign silly little changes the probate office had highlighted. It took 18 months to get probate and cost €3000, which I felt was unjustified.

In my advice to my executor-son I have advised him against using a solicitor.

I’m still waiting on access to this account (which is in joint names btw) so I can pay a nursing home bill and some other bits and pieces including a pension overpayment.

Is your mother (assuming she's the joint account holder) in a position to authorise these payments? If she is, then it should be a straightforward matter. If not, that is possibly the reason you are having such difficulties accessing it.

Currently going through probate right now on my Father's estate as executor. Solicitor is doing everything. He will gather in all the assets and debts, (including funeral expenses) and is also writing to the nursing home as we are due some money back there.

In terms of An Post, there is a notification of death form for current accounts that needs to be submitted with a certified copy of the death cert

A Post are correct in terms of not giving you access to the funds at the minute. How do they know you are entitled to them?. it's especially relevant if the estate is being divided accross multiple beneficiaries

An Post are correct in terms of not giving you access to the funds at the minute. How do they know you are entitled to them?. it's especially relevant if the estate is being divided accross multiple beneficiaries

To me, the issue here is less with An Post and more with your solicitor not doing their job
Thanks for the reply. I totally understand An Post not allowing access to the account for a period of time but it’s in my name also and it’s been about 16 months since I started the process. The solicitor has not been helpful and An Post are giving me different information each time I call and not responding to letters. I feel like I’m doing the job of a solicitor.

Is your mother (assuming she's the joint account holder) in a position to authorise these payments? If she is, then it should be a straightforward matter. If not, that is possibly the reason you are having such difficulties accessing it.
The account is in my name also. That’s one of the reasons I can’t understand the long delay and the on-going hassle. Totally accept I’m not a solicitor and I don’t know the process but I thought that’s why people employ a solicitor to do it.

Agreed. My husband left everything to me in the will. All that was in his sole name were 3 small savings accounts in AIB. I just didn't feel emotionally up to doing the work needed at the time, and asked a solicitor to handle it. Twice I was called back to their office to sign silly little changes the probate office had highlighted. It took 18 months to get probate and cost €3000, which I felt was unjustified.

In my advice to my executor-son I have advised him against using a solicitor.
Similar situation here. I’ve had numerous phone calls, emails and appointments just to ask me the same things multiple times. The estate is very small and the only beneficiaries are me and my mother.

Back