An Post requested copy of will

Similar situation here. I’ve had numerous phone calls, emails and appointments just to ask me the same things multiple times. The estate is very small and the only beneficiaries are me and my mother.
The probate process is really not that difficult if the deceased’s affairs were uncomplicated. My late MIL had a house, car and bank account so probate was relatively easy. Took about six months from start to finish and cost (I think) about €400. The staff in the Probate Office are excellent to deal with.

It seems like there can be just as much work (if not more) by using a solicitor so why pay for another layer of administration if it doesn’t make your life easier?

The probate process is really not that difficult if the deceased’s affairs were uncomplicated. My late MIL had a house, car and bank account so probate was relatively easy. Took about six months from start to finish and cost (I think) about €400. The staff in the Probate Office are excellent to deal with.

It seems like there can be just as much work (if not more) by using a solicitor so why pay for another layer of administration if it doesn’t make your life easier?
Exactly. I think people generally do it because they don’t know the added hassle of using a solicitor. It’s really not worth it. In my case I feel like I’m paying someone to make things more difficult for me. My fathers estate is pretty much like your MIL’s by the sound of things. Maybe if an estate is worth more they sort it out quickly and actually offer help and assistance.

Back