An Post Price Rises

Those price increases will lead to a further drop in letters being sent. This will lead to another massive price increase in the not too distant future.
Rinse and repeat until the service gets abolished altogether
I wonder will there be a day with no letter postage any more? No reason why not I guess. Then will An Post have the economies of scale to stay ahead of private operators when it comes to packages?
Even before then, you'd have to assume that post will start being delivered on alternative days, then maybe one day in three to try and save on their oft-quoted fixed cost model.
 
I get my Christmas cards printed up every year to send to people, it's now becoming more expensive to post them than it is to get them printed out and to receive them with envelopes.
 
Discount "pound" stores often do 3 cards for €2 or similar offers whereby the unit cost is, sometimes significantly, under €1.
The cardfactory outlets have cards for as little was €0.20 <---- not a typo. I bought one recently for a family member and thought the check-out lady had made a mistake, but no, that was the price including the envelope. I don't remember seeing prices on the card-racks, I simply picked up a card I liked.
 
While I appreciate that costs are going up, and the number of letters and postcards being sent is declining, I also find myself wondering if the rent on that big new HQ building, down behind The Point Depot, is an influencing factor on this latest price hike.
 
Even before then, you'd have to assume that post will start being delivered on alternative days, then maybe one day in three to try and save on their oft-quoted fixed cost model.
I think this has already started in Blackrock, Co. Dublin. Last week I got about 5 letters on Wednesday. I believe that these would have normally been delivered on Monday or Tuesday. Last Wednesday an individual posted me a letter......still no sign of it being delivered.
 
Someone has to pay for all those EVs they're buying, to deliver less post ! Still as long as it reduces Ireland's 0.1% contribution to global emissions......
 
Serious hikes for outside Ireland but lucky we still have a service I guess. Denmark has stopped delivering letters
The Nationalised PostNord has stopped as they weren't able to compete, but the private operator Dao will continue to deliver letters and has plans to expand its services.

Funnily enough, PostNord will continue to deliver letters in Sweden where it operates as a private service.
 
An post want to be in parcels completely. Letters are a nuisance to them, if they could ditch them they would.

The vanity HQ should never have been allowed. The GPO was theirs for a virtually nonexistent rent. The Exo building likely costs 4- 5 million annually in rent.
 
Someone has to pay for all those EVs they're buying, to deliver less post ! Still as long as it reduces Ireland's 0.1% contribution to global emissions.....
I presume you missed the reports where they showed moving to electric vehicles was saving them money overall?
 
If you are a regular user of letter post, buy a few packs of Christmas stamps
https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Special-issue-stamps/Christmas

All have "N" on them ("W" on the world stamps) and valid for national postage (or world postage) for as long as you have the stamps.

I do it every year and use them year round and can be used as a €1.65 (soon to be €1.85) value on small packets - so 2 x N = €3.70 value from Feb 1st
 
I didn't need to read any reports to say what I said .
Fair enough, I assumed you were just misinformed and believed the EVs they were purchasing were increasing their costs.

Perhaps you'd like to explain why you put forward a measure that is saving them money in a thread about raising prices? Ans also what relevance you think carbon emissions have to the topic?
 
I was posting a parcel to Hong Kong for my grand children. Contents were a mixture of Irish sweets and some toys. I brought the parcel to my Post Office here in Blackrock Co. Dublin. I was told that the price would be €56. It weighed 2.595 kg. (This was before the current price increase).

I should have checked the weight before bringing it to the post office but I don't have an accurate weighing scales in the house here. It was only after that I discovered that if the parcel was 2.5 kgs and not 2.595kgs I would have saved myself over €5 in postage costs. I could have taken out an item to bring the weight down or I could have added a few extra items in to the parcel to bring it up to 3 kgs and been charged the same price as 2.595 kgs.

I spoke to the lady in Blackrock Post Office as the transaction was going through and I was expressing my shock at the cost of posting a few bars of Cadbury and Butlers chocolates to Hong Kong and she never even advised me about reducing the weight or increasing the weight of the contents.

There was a time when this would have happened but not anymore.

As I get together my St. Patricks's Day parcel to Hong Kong I won't make the same mistake again.
 
@Odea, did you try buying from the likes of amazon.ie, paying for product and delivery from your account with a "deliver to address" of Hong Kong? Once you have the account set up, you can have as many deliver to addresses as you wish associated with your account. They'll also do gift-wrapping from €2.99, depending on the size of the item, which is handy at times. If you set up a Prime account, deliveries to certain territories is free for your €6.99/month plus you get access to amazon Prime movies.

You don't have to complete the transaction to get a price inclusive of delivery and gift-wrapping, you can always cancel and empty the shopping basket before clicking the pay button if the price is too high, or they may just refuse the order based on contents or destination. Nothing to lose either way. Just be sure the seller is amazon.

Other online sellers may have similar facilities, I use amazon here as an example as I'm familiar with their services.
 
Back
Top