Amount for wedding gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

landlord

Myself and my girlfriend are going to her colleagues (not close friend) full wedding. How much is expected these days in the way of a cash gift?

Son would give €50, I'd give €150, Close friend or employee would be much more but a way to work it out as long as you pay for yourself it should be ok, How much is it per head for wedding guests on average?, I believe its about €30 for basic dinner and €50 for the likes of roast beef a head or am I way out.

Gotta be kiddin me.....€150+ for a work collegue!

Would have thought €100 as about right!

ninsaga

I must be out of touch- when did people start giving cash for wedding gifts? We didn't get a single one as far as I can remember, and it was not that long ago!

Is it not a bit mercenary (like buying tickets for the day out or something?) For work colleagues or people I dont know too well I would chose something from their wedding list to the value of about 100 euro or, if it is someone from work, I would consider "going in" with others to buy them something big. Otherwise I would try to chose something that would mean something to the person. Am I hopelessly oldfashioned?

Re work mates - i would stick to something of their wedding list or any of Newbridge silver is a safe enough gift!

We got married last november and average cash gift we received was from 100-250! Even some people that did not make the wedding or even some that were not invited sent cash/cheque/voucher value from 100-250!!!

Landlord,

I hope you don't mind butting in on your thread but I have a similar situation in that we have been invited to the "afters" of one of Mrs Gel's friends. Again we were debating as to how much to spend. My opinion is approx €50 but she wants to go more. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Gel

I'd would give cash/vouchers/gift from couples list for €150 for full wedding unless its close family or friends.

For the afters cash/vouchers/gift - about €50

I also was thinking €150 for the full wedding and about €50 for the afters.

What would you pay for a good day out at races or the sea side, getting fed and everything , you wont have much change out of €150 for two people.

On the subject of what / how much to give I've just received an invite saying
that they don't have a wedding list as they already have all the cutlery etc they need but that 'cold hard cash' will be fine!

My thoughts exactly. Not particularly close friends either so I've a funny feeling I've a prior arrangement on the day they are getting married...

Is this the notion of a wedding as a fundraiser? I've heard of people before inviting loads of people and/ or specific guests to increase the 'returns' from their investment. Economies of scale etc etc.
Or am I way too cynical for my age?

CN624 said:
My thoughts exactly. Not particularly close friends either so I've a funny feeling I've a prior arrangement on the day they are getting married...

Is this the notion of a wedding as a fundraiser? I've heard of people before inviting loads of people and/ or specific guests to increase the 'returns' from their investment. Economies of scale etc etc.
Or am I way too cynical for my age?

No, you've probably seen that episode in Eddie Hobbs' series though....

How much should I spend on a wedding gift in this situation :

The wedding is in Italy. Already is has cost 600E for flight, hotel for 3 nights, and transfers. I dont really know anyone going to it, but since the bride is a good friend I wanted to go. I'm going on my own - no partner.

There was no wedding list or mention of presents in the invitation.
(I remember years ago she said she doesn't want presents - if people do her the honour of attending her wedding, their presence is present enough. But of course I'd like to get her something!). I was thinking about 100E?

CN624 said:
Not particularly close friends either so I've a funny feeling I've a prior arrangement on the day they are getting married...
?

You'll still have to give a pressie tho!

Hi, On average it would be around €150 -€200. Got married last October and attended a lot of weddings in the last year or so and this would be the norm for a couple attending the full event. I am nearly broke from them ......

golden mean said:
bskinti- I know of lots of people who would pay good money NOT to have to go to another wedding!
My policy would be to not attend a wedding that I could get out of. I'd reckon €150 (not cash) for close friend/relative, get out of any other wedding invite, and never attend an 'afters' unless I was at the main wedding.

brodiebabe said:
You'll still have to give a pressie tho!

If that is the case I'm getting divorced and starting all over again and inviting as many people as I can think of just to get the pressies - are you saying that an invitation, even just to the afters automatically translates into a €50 pressie - where did I go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back