Alternative to Ulster Bank credit card

I have a joint current account with the Ulster Bank. I also have a credit card with the Ulster Bank. The credit card account has my wife as the principal account holder and I also have a secondary card linked to the account.

We have both received a letter, stating that under new rules, there cannot be a second card linked to this account. The second card has to be scrapped before mid January next. I will no longer have a credit card as a result.

We do not use online banking. We have a current account with cheque book, and debit cards. We can manage fine with these.

My wife has been told that she needs to download an app so she can be contacted if she makes an online purchase. A new security feature.
She does not want to download any app because it will be linked to our current account.

I always understood that a person's credit card account had nothing to do with a person's current account.

Has anyone out there got an Ulster Bank credit card without a current account and how will you cope with the new rules?
I dont have a current account with UB and use the app for managing the credit card. Saying that I got the same letter and they suggested that this might be a good time to move to another provider as they are leaving the market. I did that and signed up with Avant money. Very straight forward application process and card is on its way to me. They also have a cashback of max 12 euro a month which is good for me as I use my credit card for all spending and clear it each month.

I have had a credit card for over 40 years. I don't think that I have paid a penny in interest during that term. I always clear my account before the due date.

Do I need a credit card?

I have a debit card on an EBS account. I mainly use this for ATM withdrawals. Very seldom for tap to pay. I have grown up with cash payments so it is hard for me to change.

I have a debit card with my current account in the Ulster Bank. I was kind of forced to take this. I don't think I have ever used it to purchase anything. I think I may have used it once in an ATM machine to activate it just in case.

Because the Ulster Bank is closing it's branch network I have opened a current account with AIB. I have been given two debit cards from them. A couple of months and and never used.

Between myself and my wife we have six debit cards plus an Ulster Bank credit card.

Is there a need for my credit card now that Ulster bank changes will disrupt how we use them? Can I use my debit card just like a credit card? I don't need credit, there is plenty of funds to support purchases. Can I use my debit card exactly like I have been using my credit cads?
The Ryanair/Aer Lingus flight purchase. The occasional online purchase (about 10 a year).

Is there a need for my credit card now that Ulster bank changes will disrupt how we use them?
It is very hard to rent a car without a credit card.

Last time I rented with Hertz there were all sorts of warnings about no debit cards and no "virtual" credit cards or ones without raised lettering.

I have an Ulster bank credit card and Ulster bank current. I have recently opened a new AIB current and am slowly transferring my direct debits, pensions, inward payments across from Ulster bank to the AIB.

I am now thinking about my credit card. When is the best time to do the transfer of credit card in so far as I don't want to pay the government charge on both cards?

You can ask for a letter after closing the credit card and paying the charge. Then AIB will apply a credit to stop the amount on the new card.

You can ask for a letter after closing the credit card and paying the charge.
When is the revenue €30 charge applied to accounts? If I just closed my account before the charge is applied would that be simpler?

Normally it comes out on the 1st of April. Closing the account before that day will trigger the charge as it comes out at the end of the year. When I switched cards earlier this year, I had Ulsterbank issue a letter saying it was paid for that year which I then sent on for the new card. Even with a small overlap, that letter covered things.

How long does it take to get a new credit card issued? I want to apply for a new AIB card but I want to keep my old Ulster Bank card until the AIB one is issued to me. I am concerned that if I do it this way I will have to pay the 2 x €30 charges.

If I close my Ulster bank account and get a letter from them to state that I have paid the charge and only then apply for a new AIB card, I might have to wait for a few weeks for the new card to be issued. Don't need that.

How long does it take to get a new credit card issued? I want to apply for a new AIB card but I want to keep my old Ulster Bank card until the AIB one is issued to me. I am concerned that if I do it this way I will have to pay the 2 x €30 charges.
That would mean you effectively having two active credit cards, and your application will have a very different risk profile.

I was in the middle of switching my banking to KBC when news of their planned exit broke. I was looking to do as above and keep the current card until I had the new one in my hands. They were resisting that and suggesting my application might be refused unless I was willing to do a formal transfer.

If I close my Ulster bank account and get a letter from them to state that I have paid the charge and only then apply for a new AIB card, I might have to wait for a few weeks for the new card to be issued. Don't need that.
Stamp Duty on Credit Cards is charged on the 1st April. It is paid in arrears so if you close if before then, you will have to pay the €30. AIB will not look for the €30 until the following 1st April. But you send them the letter that Ulster Bank supply you when you close that account, stating that you paid Stamp Duty, they won't charge.

I'm not sure how much of an overlap you're allowed but I imagine there is some leeway.

I'll be doing it myself soon and I'll apply to AIB or Avant, when my new account is set up then I'll close the old one (and pay stamp duty) and send the letter to my new provider.

That's the steps here:

Last edited:
I have an Ulster Bank credit card. I want to book some Ryanair flights and pay with my credit card. Fast forward 6 months down the road and Ryanair cancels my flights because of Covid. Ryanair always make their refunds the same way as they receive payment.
At this stage my Ulster Bank credit card is no longer in use and I have a new AIB credit card. Will Ryanair try and refund my old Ulster Bank credit card or will they refund new card?

I have an Ulster Bank credit card. I want to book some Ryanair flights and pay with my credit card. Fast forward 6 months down the road and Ryanair cancels my flights because of Covid. Ryanair always make their refunds the same way as they receive payment.
At this stage my Ulster Bank credit card is no longer in use and I have a new AIB credit card. Will Ryanair try and refund my old Ulster Bank credit card or will they refund new card?
This is something I hadn't thought of!
I will now request a refund for my KLM voucher which is active until September 2022, as probably my credit card won't be.

I think you just update your payment details on MyRyanir. Believe that is what I did to get the voucher refund earlier this year for a flight booked with a different card pre covid.

For those switching credit cards to Avant, are they allowing you keep your credit limit or do you have to do the whole process as if you had no card?

Will Ryanair try and refund my old Ulster Bank credit card or will they refund new card?
This is one of the reasons I'll never fly Ryanair again -- great as long as everything works according to plan, but good luck getting anything back if there's the slightest glitch. Our flight with Aer Lingus, which had already had to be postponed just pre-Covid due to an emergency medical issue with one of the passengers, was then cancelled because of Covid, yet we got a straight-up voucher valid for 5 years emailed to us, to use on any flight, any time, as long as it's the same passengers.

For those switching credit cards to Avant, are they allowing you keep your credit limit or do you have to do the whole process as if you had no card?
Good question, I'm just about to apply so I'll keep you posted. The Avant website tells me I should qualify for a limit about 2.5 times what I already have with UB MC, so I don't think there will be a problem.

I'm also shopping around for a credit card, in advance of KBC exiting (they may sell their credit card book but I'd prefer to control this myself, and not be without a card in case they just close our accounts and every other supplier is inundated).

Avant seem ok. Their cashback excludes some merchant categories allowed by KBC (e.g. utility payments).
View attachment 5732
Also, Avant's foreign exchange fee seems high at 2.65% - although they are at least using the reference Mastercard currency exchange rates.
How does that cash back work ? Is it same as taking money from the atm?

Have opened the process to switch my KBC credit card to AIB. You basically have to go through the credit review process as if you had none. Numerous checks and required to present yourself in the local branch with drivers license and utility bill.
Should know in a few days.

You basically have to go through the credit review process as if you had none.
I did the Avant Money thing, got the card within a week, all online, couldn't have been easier. No prejudiced assumption that I was a criminal, didn't need to "present myself" to "the man" for ritual humiliation -- just used modern means of authentication and verification. Oh, and the credit limit I was given is 2.5 times the amount I was allowed by UB.

Back