Alternative to Laya Company Care (Excess)

slane4

We are a married couple in our late 70s. Our Laya Company Care (Excess) policy is due to renew in February at €3,096, €258 per month. We have recently had several claims, both out-patient and in-patient and this is likely to continue. Our most used hospital is Bon Secours, but we have also been treated in Beaumont and the Mater. Before we discuss renewal options with Laya can anyone suggest alternatives?

Hi slane4,

The following Laya plans are worth considering, similar cover at cheaper prices. Details as follows;

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess capped at 150 x 2 per
year for all admissions(regardless of how many in a private(Bons) or hi-tech hospitals). Day case excess 50 per procedure in a private or hi-tech
hospital. Note; there is no excess to pay in any public hospital(including Mater Public and Beaumont hospital). Good day to day cover included,
50% refund for consultant visits, gp visits, etc. - subject to a max refund of 500 per year per person. (50% of 1000 = 500).

2. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1250pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospital covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess capped at 150 x 1
per year for all admissions, regardless of how many in a private(Bons) or hi-tech hospitals. Day case excess 50 per procedure in a private or
hi-tech hospital. Note; there is no excess to pay in any public hospital(including Mater Public and Beaumont hospital). Good day to day cover
included - 50% refund for consultant visits, gp visits, etc - subject to a max refund of 1000 per year per person. (50% of 2000 = 1000).

3. Laya Simply Health Plus; price 1261pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 125 per admission and per
day case procedure. Hi-tech excess 125 per admission and day case to Beacon hospital, hi-tech excess 200 per admission to Mater Private and
Blackrock Clinic and 200 per day case procedure. Note; there is no excess to pay in any public hospital(including Beaumont and Mater public
hospital.) Good day to day cover included - 50% refund for consultant visits, gp visits etc- subject to a max refund of 7650 per year.

[broken link removed]

If your outpatient day to day claim is more than 500 per year each, then option 2 or 3 is suitable.
If less than 500 each, Option 1 is a good option.

There may be more price changes for February 2019, if so, the information will be posted on the latest news section of the HIA website
by next week.

Regards, Snowyb

That's great information, Snowyb, very comprehensive and relevant.
Much appreciated.

Hi Snowyb, Looking at above info with great interest. We are with Esb Medical provident fund and pay 395:8 per month. We are in our 60s with some health issues. We usually get about €500 back per year on annual claim for gp,prescriptions and chartered Physio. My better half is very reluctant to leave the Esb provident fund as he has been with them for over 40 years. We get €70 back on consultant fees. Annual claim for gp etc is about €2000. Would welcome your opinion.

Fiddlybits,

Do you mean out of an overall day to day claim of 2000, you get a total refund of 500 euro or 500 euro each?

The ESB Medical provident fund has excellent hospital cover across the board, including hi-tech hospitals fully covered.
An equivalent plan with VHI Healthplus Premium(old Plan D) is priced at 3174 each or approx 500 per month.

While it is an excellent plan, its only worth it if you actually use the hi-tech hospital cover.
If you are based outside Dublin and don't make use of the hi-tech hospital cover, you are over insured.

Note; the above plans don't fully cover a private room in a private hospital.
A similar type plan including full cover for a private room in a private hospital is called Simplicity price 1231pa.

[broken link removed]

I can understand your better half's reluctance to switch plans, given the level of hospital cover on the ESB plan.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much Snowyb for your prompt reply. Yes refund is €500 for us both. I then claim the difference in tax relief. We are outside Dublin but have used the private hospitals on occasion.Though I feel the cover is very expensive@ €400 per month it is reassuring as we get older to have same. The other thing that bothers me a little is that it does not cover for holidays abroad so we have to make sure to have good travel insurance. I will have a look at the policies you mentioned. There is no renewal date and insurance just carries through annually.

The 3 hi-tech hospitals I'm referring to are Beacon hospital, Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private - all based in Dublin.
If you don't use these hospitals, you are overpaying for cover.

Based on your medical receipts, for the past year, you could do a rough calculation to see how much extra you would gain on Laya Simplicity plan.

Your policy has to have an actual renewal date. I know you probably just let it automatically renew every year.

If you wanted to change plans, you can only do it at the renewal date.
If your renewal date was say 1st January 2019, which has already passed, you still would have 14 days to change plans if you want.

Regards, Snowyb

Back