Alcohol Minimum Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I don't smoke, I would prefer to live in a universe in which it was never discovered ... it doesn't mean I necessarily agree with all restrictions on smoking OR consider that all anti-smoking measures will pan out in practice...

So an interesting thought experiment is: would MUP have made sense for tobacco? Only a small proportion of the extra price (VAT) going to the government, the rest going to retailers and producers of tobacco products. Purchasers of expensive cigars unaffected, consumers of shag or roll your own (?) tobacco most affected. People who consumed 'on sale' tobacco in 'coffee shops' unaffected.

So why does it make sense for alcohol...
I take a similar approach being able to separate what suits me selfishly and what's for the greater good but the vast majority of people do not.

The politicians who get elected being a case in point - the national poll-topper also being the most corrupt but gets elected on what they can do for "me".

I take a similar approach being able to separate what suits me selfishly and what's for the greater good but the vast majority of people do not.

The politicians who get elected being a case in point - the national poll-topper also being the most corrupt but gets elected on what they can do for "me".
And in this case, at least some are acting out of what they can do for publicans... the LVA et al visited the Dail 20+ times to lobby for MUP.

Last edited:
There was a thread on it in the Depths - as a new poster you may not have access to it.

Parking the pros and cons - I am very much opposed to it ... to consider its side effects.

Will it lead to supermarkets discounting other products instead?

Day trips to Newry to fill the boot?
Will you not pay customs filling the boot from the North?

I think its a great initiative. It makes drink prohibitively expensive for young people and will inexorably lead to reduction in consumption. Theres no more disgusting and sad sight than a gang of late teens/ 20 somethings coming out the supermarket with a few bottles of vodka and a box of 20 bottles and/ or a slab. Up to now dirt cheap- not so anymore. Its tough but the state needs to force a change in habits much the same as smokers have been hounded for past 30 years and then it banned in pubs etc. Well done for this brave move!!
If they cannot buy it they will brew it

When something used to be €20 and is now €42, they have just doubled the price. That makes it expensive. Don't know what minimum wage has got to do with it either. When I get an Indian takeaway for my family, that is a half days work for someone on the minimum wage. Do I think about it like that? No.

We have to move away from the pub culture. Irish drinking culture is around spending hours in a dark room drinking. We have to move away from that.

There was a young guy in my office from South Africa who had little interest in drinking or going to the pub. He said that there isn't many places to meet people in Ireland outside the pub. There are a few activity places but not much. That is what Irish culture is built on and we will only move away from it if we open it up.

*Btw, the MUP has absolutely no impact on me. I'm a hipster craft beer drinker and you won't get anything for near €1...or €2 for that matter.
It's to do with closing times, everyone tanks up before the pub closes

Will you not pay customs filling the boot from the North?
You have a generous allowance, it is treated as EU at present, although you'd probably exceed it if you tried to fill the boot with spirits.

If your purchases are within the limits set out below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate that the goods are for your personal use.

Spirits (for example whiskey, vodka and gin)
10 litres
Intermediate products that contain 22% alcohol or less (for example sherry or port)
20 litres
Wine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling )
90 litres
Beer110 litres

Just spitballing, but perhaps it is more price elastic than tobacco?
On average, yes.

But people forget that willingness to pay varies hugely by individual. Those who crave alcohol the most are most likely to pay for it and prioritise it over other expenditure.

Price-based measures only take you so far and in the case of MUP can be really badly targeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back