Alcohol Minimum Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If alcohol is so unsafe why where off-licences considered essential retail during the first/second waves of the Covid19 pandemic by our government and NPHET were we had the greatest number of deaths?
Money, tax & excise income for the government, and the belief that as many retail outlets as possible must remain open in the pandemic.

There is no safe level of alcohol consumption.
Correct, because alcohol is an intoxicant, or a poison, the hint here being the root "toxin".

There is no way to gauge a safe blood-alcohol level in advance of consumption and even with the same person, differing levels of consumption can have similar effects or outcomes, at different times, evidence that alcohol has both psychological and physiological influences.

If alcohol is so unsafe why where off-licences considered essential retail during the first/second waves of the Covid19 pandemic by our government and NPHET were we had the greatest number of deaths?
Because preventing access to alcohol in Ireland would make Mad Max look like a romantic comedy

Correct, because alcohol is an intoxicant, or a poison, the hint here being the root "toxin".

There is no way to gauge a safe blood-alcohol level in advance of consumption and even with the same person, differing levels of consumption can have similar effects or outcomes, at different times, evidence that alcohol has both psychological and physiological influences.
So what’s your view on me meeting my Dad for a few pints and a chat?

Or Mrs Gekko and I sharing a bottle of wine and having a chat?

Or me meeting a few colleagues for a couple of pints on Friday evening?

Hopefully you, your family and friends can avoid intoxicating yourselves to the degree that you need to impose additional costs on the public health services on the nights in question and longer-term, due to acute and/or chronic substance abuse problems.

Hopefully you, your family and friends can avoid intoxicating yourselves to the degree that you need to impose additional costs on the public health services on the nights in question and longer-term, due to acute and/or chronic substance abuse problems.
You’re kidding, right?

On the nights I have four pints with my Dad, or the nights Mrs Gekko and I share one bottle of wine, or the Friday nights I have three pints with my colleagues?

April 1st is months away…

I tend not to joke about people knowingly poisoning themselves, potentially creating extra work for the emergency services, Gardai, ambulance, and fire service. Given the impossibility of predicting outcomes with measured alcohol consumption for known consumers and the generalized nature of your sarcastic inquiry, the best I could do was wish for the best possible outcomes for your family, colleagues, those you encounter and the emergency services.

Ye miserable sh!te, are you not spending more than 7 euro on a bottle of wine for Mrs Gekko?
Usually €20ish for domestic consumption.

But the point is that there are Mr & Mrs Gekkos all over Ireland who relax and chat over a €7 bottle of wine.

There is nothing wrong with a few drinks. Or more accurately, there’s as much wrong with gobbling a couple of steaks off the BBQ.

There is nothing wrong with a few drinks. Or more accurately, there’s as much wrong with gobbling a couple of steaks off the BBQ.
Nonsense. Alcohol (or beverage alcohol as its known in some jurisdictions) is a poison and you need excise licences to sell it and the sale, purchase or consumption on or off premises is restricted to certain age groups. These restrictions do not apply to steaks. It is illegal to sell alcoholic beverages to someone who is already intoxicated by alcohol consumption, this restriction does not apply to steak as steak is not an intoxicant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back