AIB Credit Card Debt

After months of dealing with these guys I realise now there's probably no chance of winning this argument.

It's probably best that this goes to court because I have full proof that I am paying the maximum payment per month that I can afford. I have receipts from registered letters proving that I was looking to keep the lines of communication open yet they refused to answer my letters. I think a Judge will agree to the payments that I have offered.

If you could get a personal loan it would save so much aggro and you could try and salvage your credit rating.

I think the suggestion is to move the existing debt to a more flexible/reasonable institution. Like the credit union. Though I think its too far down the road for this.

@peter 54

Follow realdub's great advice -you won't need a debt management company unless you have other debts. All they will do is write to AIB making an offer based on what you can afford -you can do this yourself without incurring debt manager fees.

Write making an offer and pay it even if you don't get a reponse and also ask for interest and fees to be frozen. It would be useful too if you could enclose with your letter an "income and expenditure statement" showing what your income is (social welfare) what your outgoings are and what you have left over to make payments.

MABS has a letter of offer than should work here:[broken link removed]

Be prepared for more letters and phone calls - each time gently but firmly refer them back to your letter of offer and payment committment being made.

I have been down this painful road and I would like to share my experience with you. The only route is A LETTER OF AUTHORITY FROM MABS accompanied by a financial statement. CREDIT CARD COMPANIES ARE AWARE OF THIS. It may take some time and chasing, but make APPOINTMENT WITH MABS TOMORROW to start the ball rolling. What happens is the interest is frozen, some refunded in my case, then the debt is passed onto a collection agency who are NOT AS SCARY AS YOU THINK!!! They dont come knocking on your door unless you completely ignore them.Good luck

If you could get a personal loan it would save so much aggro and you could try and salvage your credit rating.

How do you suggest this is done? Taking into account the OP's credit history is no doubt impaired.

From reading this thread I don't see anyone looking for a free lunch or a bailout. No hold on that's actually the AIB who are being bailed out! Silly me!

Unfortunately the system recognises anything less than 5% or min payment as a missed payment.
AIB provide the option to pay 3%, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50% & 100% of the statement balance.

If what you stated were true, anyone who chose the 3% option would be constantly in arrears.

Danielle24 said:
If the bank do agree to a lesser payment the account will still go into arrears every month and will be eventually recognised as a "bad debt".
Obviously if they agree to a lesser payment this would not be the case. The reason for a lesser payment agreement is to avoid the amount becoming a bad debt.

Danielle24 said:
it's about people taking responsibility and stop acting like they've been screwed over or like they didn't realise they'd have to pay this money back.
You seem to have missed the whole point of this thread. Either that or you have not read/cannot comprehend it. It’s painfully obvious that the OP has & is taking responsibility. AIB are acting irresponsibly in this case.

The OP has never as much as hinted that he didn’t realise he’d have to pay anything back. He has made it perfectly clear that he is doing his best to arrange to pay his debt back in repayments that he can afford.

Can you not see this, or are you just blatantly trying to upset someone who is clearly upset enough as it is, & has resorted to posting on this forum for constructive advice?

I was speaking to a gentleman in the card services who told me there was an enormous list of pending cases so that is probably why the OP has not heard from their legal team. He also said that it maybe unlikely that they will pursue down the legal route unless you completely ignore them and refuse to make some payment again all down to the amount of cases they have to deal with.

Does the above advice also refer to standard loans?? I got letter from AIB asking me to pay of debt in full by next month or they will take ' whatever steps are necessary to obtain payment in full of total debt'.

I phoned them and recored the conversation( told them i was doing so). The girl explained that I got a call last week from someone in there office last week which I did not return. Now I admit i got a call but it was from someone called Ciara and asking me to return her call. She did not identify herself as being from AIB as this goes against their security policy and thus I argued that I would not return a call to anyone who leaves a random message on my phone looking for a call back. Anyways I have agreed to start making some nominal payments in a few weeks as i am confident that I should have employment soon. When I asked what are the next steps if i cannot afford payments she said it wold be refered to a debt collection agency. I asked her to confirm whether the agency are outsourced and independent of AIB or a subsiduary of AIB and she would not tell me. She said they use several types and I am not entitled to know what egencies they use for debt collection.

Surely I am entitled to know who they use to collect my debt should it go that far. I have made all effort to maintain payments as and when I can. I have requestested that all future correspondene be made via mail which they agreed to.

Has anyone any other advice for me here? Sorry about hijacking the thread and for the rant too!!

Daitheflu

Surely I am entitled to know who they use to collect my debt should it go that far.
That is an easy one.

They use the following:
Intrum Justitia
Crosskerrys Solicitors
Thomas Flaherty & Co. (These are their in house lawyers)

Yes this goes for the standard loans too. Though you must not ignore them.

I have a lot of financial exposure with AIB. I've successfully re-scheduled personal loans with them. I wrote to them explaining my situation and within a couple of weeks the loan payments were lowered; taking into account I already had a three month payment break. The credit card department are another story though.

As others have mentioned on this thread - keep all your correspondence in writing.

AIB provide the option to pay 3%, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50% & 100% of the statement balance.

If what you stated were true, anyone who chose the 3% option would be constantly in arrears.

Obviously if they agree to a lesser payment this would not be the case. The reason for a lesser payment agreement is to avoid the amount becoming a bad debt.

You seem to have missed the whole point of this thread. Either that or you have not read/cannot comprehend it. It’s painfully obvious that the OP has & is taking responsibility. AIB are acting irresponsibly in this case.

The OP has never as much as hinted that he didn’t realise he’d have to pay anything back. He has made it perfectly clear that he is doing his best to arrange to pay his debt back in repayments that he can afford.

Can you not see this, or are you just blatantly trying to upset someone who is clearly upset enough as it is, & has resorted to posting on this forum for constructive advice?

There min payment used to be 5%

I'm not trying to upset anyone i'm giving him realistic and constructive advice. The bank may say yes pay less but the majority of credit card banking is computerised and if less than the min payment, which you've pointed out is now 3% the system recognises it as a missed payment.

Thanks for that interesting piece of info about Thomas Laherty and Co. being their in house Lawyers ,i came to an arrangement some weeks back with a person in customer sevices of Visa,i agreed to set up a standing order with them to repay € 200 per month ,she sent me out the forms to set up the DD mandate and i returned the completed forms to them and they were to start the DD on the 8th March,but have not taken anything as of yet,i have recieved 3 threatening type letters in the 3 weeks signed N Flaherty ( Collections Dept ). But following advice recieved on this site i am conducting all correspondance in writing and keeping copies

I don't think anyone can go to jail for not paying a debt, wasn't there a case on this about a month or two ago?

There was a case last year which led to the law being changed.

You can be jailed if you refuse to pay a court ordered amount, not if you can't pay.
Also you are now entitled to free legal aid if a creditor attempts to have you sent to jail for non payment.

After weeks of letter writing and living on my nerves I finally received a letter from the bank saying they would except my payment proposal for three months.

That’s great news Peter, & must be a load off your mind - well done for your perseverance. Hopefully, if your situation has not changed after three months, the review process will be a hell of a lot more streamlined & you won’t have as much hassle getting them to accept the same proposal for a further three or six month period.

Guys thanks a million for all your help. It's been very much appreciated. The pressure over the past couple of months has been immense but it seems less daunting now that the bank have acknowledged my problem. I've began making payments plus extra payments per week.

Redbhoy, thanks a lot for the link.

Back