AIB Credit Card Debt

off topic i know but still in relation to aib credit cards... i recently got a new credit card from aib due halifax pulling out of ireland shortly. at the moment i am able to go into an aib branch and lodge money to my current account by them swiping my debit card. can i lodge money to the CREDIT card by them swiping it in the same way as the laser? i'm guessing i can but am still unsure. thank you.

Your best be would be to transfer the money from your AIB current account to your AIB credit card by either online or telephone banking. You need to register your card once, either online or by telephone, & then transfer the amounts using the 'Pay A Bill' feature.

Unfortunately the system recognises anything less than 5% or min payment as a missed payment. I know its tough times but blaming the bank for your credit card debt and wanting them to change the rules is ridiculous. If it was a mortgage or a car loan they might be more sympathetic but with credit card debt is 90% of time spent on indulgences and frivilous things and it's not a necessity so the bank give very little sympathy.

I'd guess that any of us posting to this thread in relation to credit card debt are looking for genuine constructive advice and nothing else. I, like thousands before me have fallen into credit card debt which wasn't due to luxury spending. There has been some excellent advice from good people and I have very much appreciated this advice. I am now unemployed and will no longer have the minimum payment required each month. Has anyone managed to arrange to freeze interest charged whilst paying a lesser sum in order to eventually clear the credit card.

I'd guess that any of us posting to this thread in relation to credit card debt are looking for genuine constructive advice and nothing else. I, like thousands before me have fallen into credit card debt which wasn't due to luxury spending. There has been some excellent advice from good people and I have very much appreciated this advice. I am now unemployed and will no longer have the minimum payment required each month. Has anyone managed to arrange to freeze interest charged whilst paying a lesser sum in order to eventually clear the credit card.

If the bank do agree to a lesser payment the account will still go into arrears every month and will be eventually recognised as a "bad debt". Is there anyway you could get a personal loan to clear this?

I wonder would a credit union, allow you take a loan to clear the debt? Perhaps if you went into them an explained the situation? In my experience credit unions, are more flexible like that.

That's fair enough but the banks never made us take out credit cards etc.

Thats circular argument, we didn't make the banks do what they did either.

I don't think the bank can take the higher moral ground on issues like this. They should be able to work out a payment plan. Its not like the these people have done a runner, and the bank is left with a bad debt. At least not yet.

Thats circular argument, we didn't make the banks do what they did either.

I don't think the bank can take the higher moral ground on issues like this. They should be able to work out a payment plan. Its not like the these people have done a runner, and the bank is left with a bad debt. At least not yet.

it's not about taking the moral highground it's about people taking responsibility and stop acting like they've been screwed over or like they didn't realise they'd have to pay this money back. This attitude was alive and well long before the recession. I was trying to advise the OP that he will probably not win on this one and needs to start looking for other options, good advice about the Credit Union that would be the best option.

I second that.

On another note I had to wait until the card was properly canceled by the bank until I could make the lesser payments per month. After it was canceled they stopped adding interest charges etc.

They have still not accepted the amount I offered them per month but at least I know the amount is going off the card and no interest is being added. I have kept in constant contact with the bank by letter; trying to prove to them I have no intentions of doing a runner but paying off the debt as soon as possible.

I was asked by some wise woman at the card center the other day why I was unemployed? How do you answer a question like that:rolleyes:

I have still to receive a letter from them stating that the card was canceled. I enquired about this and was told they hadn't a clue what I was taking about. Head games or what??

it's not about taking the moral highground it's about people taking responsibility and stop acting like they've been screwed over or like they didn't realise they'd have to pay this money back. This attitude was alive and well long before the recession. I was trying to advise the OP that he will probably not win on this one and needs to start looking for other options, good advice about the Credit Union that would be the best option.

After months of dealing with these guys I realise now there's probably no chance of winning this argument.

It's probably best that this goes to court because I have full proof that I am paying the maximum payment per month that I can afford. I have receipts from registered letters proving that I was looking to keep the lines of communication open yet they refused to answer my letters. I think a Judge will agree to the payments that I have offered.

I am very surprised that they have not shunted your case over to their in house lawyers to take you to court. Normally when they stop adding interest that is the precursor to going to court as they have to have a fixed amount for the court. AIB are generally very quick to take people to court.

Apparently there's a back log of cases. I know my case is probably Imminent. I'm just hoping the Judge on the day accepts the payment plan. Can people be sent to prison on cases like this?

it's not about taking the moral highground it's about people taking responsibility and stop acting like they've been screwed over or like they didn't realise they'd have to pay this money back. This attitude was alive and well long before the recession. ...

Sorry but I don't see where you are getting that people don't want to take responsibility or have an attitude to anything. People can't pay today what they haven't got today. But they might be able to pay over time. Forcing people to court (I'm guessing) just adds cost, destroys any good will, and I'm guessing is likely to allow the customer pay at a reduced rate anyway.

Apparently there's a back log of cases. I know my case is probably Imminent. I'm just hoping the Judge on the day accepts the payment plan. Can people be sent to prison on cases like this?
The only way you can be sent to prison is if you ignore the court process completely and do not pay what is ordered by the judge. If you cannot pay, you cannot pay and you will not be sent to prison for not being able to pay.

Sorry but I don't see where you are getting that people don't want to take responsibility or have an attitude to anything. People can't pay today what they haven't got today. But they might be able to pay over time. Forcing people to court (I'm guessing) just adds cost, destroys any good will, and I'm guessing is likely to allow the customer pay at a reduced rate anyway.
Going to court will add costs. Judges will weigh up each individual situation and decide what the person can afford to pay if anything.

Back