AIB cold calling to sell car loans

joolsveer

I had a call late last week from someone in my AIB branch asking me if I was thinking of changing my car. He said that it was a long time since I had a car loan and that they would be happy to advance me one. I bought my current car in 2003 and I don't have a notion of changing it as it is going fine so I told him that I am not thinking of getting any loans for cars or anything else. He then tried to get me to open a new deposit account.

Re: Anyone for a car loan?

So they're trying to give people lots of money again, haven't they learned!!

So they're trying to give people lots of money again, haven't they learned!!

Isn't that a bit of a generalisation? I don't personally think there should be an outright ban on banks trying to sell loans/credit cards/mortgages as long as the person can afford them.

If banks stopped lending money altogether there would be plenty of people complaining.

Under Data Protection legislation you can 'opt out' of any makreting contact by phone/email/lettter - whatever you like. Ask the ban what instructions they have re. contacting you.

Isn't that a bit of a generalisation? I don't personally think there should be an outright ban on banks trying to sell loans/credit cards/mortgages as long as the person can afford them.

If banks stopped lending money altogether there would be plenty of people complaining.

Why would they randomly call you up asking if you want a loan? In my mind thats tempting you in. If you want a loan, you should go in and ask, not be called up and offered one.

Yes I got the call last week. I dont think it was just car loans, in my case it was a platinum VISA card, different current account, mortgage and car loan they were trying to sell me. Have my existing car loan with them, the rate is rubbish and told them I would never go with them again.

I had a call late last week from someone in my AIB branch asking me if I was thinking of changing my car. He said that it was a long time since I had a car loan and that they would be happy to advance me one. I bought my current car in 2003 and I don't have a notion of changing it as it is going fine so I told him that I am not thinking of getting any loans for cars or anything else. He then tried to get me to open a new deposit account.

By the way, what interest rate were they offering or did you bother to inquire since you weren't smitten by their approach in the first place. Were they trying to make you an offer you couldn't refuse?

Yes I got the call last week. I dont think it was just car loans, in my case it was a platinum VISA card..

I got one of these too a few weeks ago.. All very strange, if they checked they would see that I barely use my credit card, even less so in the current climate, so why would they be offering me an upgraded one with a higher limit that I wouldnt have a hope in getting near??? :confused:

I.C

to be fair to banks, they make money from selling products, i assume some people here would be shareholders like myself and I would be fairly annoyed if they werent trying to sell products.

to be fair to banks, they make money from selling products, i assume some people here would be shareholders like myself and I would be fairly annoyed if they werent trying to sell products.

Here was me thinking the TV, radio, newspaper, train/bus advertising, newspaper & statement inserts along with sponsorship of events etc was sufficient to get the message across.

I agree with rmelly, cold calling with loans is a bit much. They advertise enough without this.. and I'm not a shareholder.

Back