Aer Lingus Sale

Abuse?

Geez "Privatesectorworker", I don't like your abusive tone! I think you're getting your comments about abuse are rather hypocritical pal, take a chill pill before you bust a blood vessel. ;)

Re: Abuse?

I believe that myself and my co-workers are entitled to 18% of the company I work for, which is GM. So I think I'll march up to the vp's office and ask him for this as I am entitled to it. And I am dreaming.

shnaek ....... You work for GM.......

<hijack the thread & go off topic :D >

Not by any chance involved in distributing Opel motors in the Emerald Isle ?

If so, can you confirm or deny the suggestion that Ireland is lumped into the same sales area as Norway & Sweden ?

( Total mystery to me why GM dont use the Vauxhall brand here & lump it in to the UK sales area )

<end of thread hijack>

GM

Hi Shnaek...I've a better idea.

Why don't you let your boss fire 50% of the workforce (pick up the extra work yourself), give him 5 days of your annual Leave for nothing, give him another 13 days per year of days off (for nothing), start work 1 hour earlier, finish 1 hour later, take no coffee breaks, no lunch breaks, and no dinner breaks, give him multiple working coonditions concessions wherever else he needs them, then buy 5% of the company with past productivity payments due to you (which you never received anyhow), buy a further 5% through borrowings, and then - when he announces record profits - go ask him for a 5% share for your efforts.

When he tells you to f*^k off and retires with a €50M golden handshake, a company pension of 250K per year, and free first class travel for life (worldwide) just say 'THANKS GUVNOR' and go home to your bedsit like a good little man.

Of course you will.

Re: GM

Total mystery to me why GM dont use the Vauxhall brand here & lump it in to the UK sales area

Cos (to the Irish mindset) Opel = Quality German engineering and Vauxhall reeks of 1970's British industry.
To the British mindset, Vauxhall = good old imperial workshop of the world product and Opel = Foreign muck!

I remember in the mid 80's, the Opel Kadett and the Vauxhall Astra (exactly the same car) were both on sale here. The new car prices were the same but the Opels resale value was about £1k more than the Vauxhall after a couple of years.

Vauxhall

To the British mindset, Vauxhall = good old imperial workshop of the world product and Opel = Foreign muck!

Was the Opel brand EVER marketed on the UK market, or is this just a racist jibe on your behalf ?

Re: Vauxhall

AFAIK, Opel DID market some of their higher end cars in the UK without making much inroads (the Omega, perhaps, springs to mind?)

I think "racist" is a bit OTT. I'm simply speculating as to why General Motors would choose to make an exception of the UK and opt out of leveraging their international marketing spend on the Opel brand name. Nationalities have "image" issues and I can assure you that marketing folk are well aware of this. The recent European Parliament election demonstrates that the "dodgy johnny foreigner" attitude is not just a relic of the war-n-football comics of my youth.

Back