Advice on PV panels and system.

On the RTE lunchtime news it was reported that the maximum grant for PV solar panels is coming down from €2,400 to €2,100 on 1 Jan next year.

(Post Edited)

Last edited:
There is an excellent company in Enniskillen search "Enniskillen Boys" on boards.ie. They are usually 2k less than competitors.

2022 , I got 18*450W ( 5 & 13) on East/South axis of my roof, 5kW battery, Eddi , BER all for 9k (3k for grant), so 12k ex grant. This included VAT.
Expect this is ~14k no more today, esp with no VAT on panels, with 2,400 grant to be subtracted off ergo 11,600 net. ..

They have installed >10 places I know of in Cork area. all happy campers.

recommend battery if you wish to harvest sun when clouds pass or if you are not home. The Utility FIT is only ~50% of what you buy back from them later.

Re : November 2023, yield so far is 206kWh, you are v unlikely to power your needs from this (national average is c.5000kWh per annum (~500kWh/month especially in winter).

Yield since Apr 2022 is 10,259kWh , at 40c per unit this is c.4000Euro.

House Elec consumption went from 4,800kWh/annum to 2,100kWh/annum in 2022.
Would recommend the Enniskillen lads but they are very busy so you may have to wait a while for them but worth it. In November 2022 before vat change I got 6.4kw system with a 5kw battery and hot water diverter for 10k installed by them.

Would recommend the Enniskillen lads but they are very busy so you may have to wait a while for them but worth it. In November 2022 before vat change I got 6.4kw system with a 5kw battery and hot water diverter for 10k installed by them.

Is that before or after the grant?

Can I ask if using concrete tiles are drilled by the installer or do they mount directly to timber underneath the tiles

Can I ask if using concrete tiles are drilled by the installer or do they mount directly to timber underneath the tiles

If you want to get the grant, then your approved installer must meet these conditions:- https://www.seai.ie/publications/SPV-Code-of-Practice.pdf

from my (unqualified) reading of Section 4.3, it appears that in almost all cases the panels must be be attached to the roof timbers

Never let anyone drill roof tiles, its breaching the water tightness of your house - anyone that suggests this should be sent packing.

I've had solar installed by the crowd mentioned above and had several issues, the way they left my roof after the install (3 or 4 tiles broken and siliconed together to make a repair), undersized cable ties used to hold cables together, and some very poor connections made in the wiring. I chose them because of all the good reports on boards.ie but in reality it wasn't a good job.

Never let anyone drill roof tiles, its breaching the water tightness of your house - anyone that suggests this should be sent packing.

I've had solar installed by the crowd mentioned above and had several issues, the way they left my roof after the install (3 or 4 tiles broken and siliconed together to make a repair), undersized cable ties used to hold cables together, and some very poor connections made in the wiring. I chose them because of all the good reports on boards.ie but in reality it wasn't a good job.
the guys from enniskillen?

thats disappointing to hear, i am interested in solar but what worries me is damage to the roof or anything else in the house for that matter.
If you go with one of the bigger companies that have been around a good few years I think that minimises the risk of getting a cowboy and they also have much more to lose if they don’t make things right. They won’t be the cheapest though, because they don’t have to be.

some things in life are worth waiting for - the season is more or less over in terms of yield until March...

when was it installed. I'm shocked ....Did you contact Kenny - I would say they will look after you?

If you go with one of the bigger companies that have been around a good few years I think that minimises the risk of getting a cowboy and they also have much more to lose if they don’t make things right. They won’t be the cheapest though, because they don’t have to be.
The Enniskillen crowd are not cowboys. They have probably installed 100's of units this year.

Definitely contact them and complain

some things in life are worth waiting for - the season is more or less over in terms of yield until March...

when was it installed. I'm shocked ....Did you contact Kenny - I would say they will look after you?

Just be aware the grant drops by €300 on 1st Jan, you should nail down a supplier and apply before then, this locks in the full €2400 for up to eight months.

Back