Advice on PV panels and system.

The grant for EV Chargers is also being cut, from January 2024.

Im told that a Zappi is the way to go, and while I don't currently have an EV, I'm now tempted to put it on the list, alongside my panels, which I intend ordering and getting grant approval for, before Christmas.

I tradesman (not involved with solar PV) recently told me that the controllers etc for a domestic solar PV system can consume up to 100w on a 24/7 basis. If this assertion and my calculation are correct, it would consume up to 875 KWh per annum (100 x 24 x 365 / 1000), thus making a serious dent in potential savings and elongating payback periods. I assume that the system itself would consume some electricity but I had no idea that the consumption could be this high. This could, of course, be completely false.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I tradesman (not involved with solar PV) recently told me that the controllers etc for a domestic solar PV system can consume up to 100w on a 24/7 basis. If this assertion and my calculation are correct, it would consume up to 875 KWh per annum (100 x 24 x 365 / 1000), thus making a serious dent in potential savings and elongating payback periods. I assume that the system itself would consume some electricity but I had no idea that the consumption could be this high. This could, of course, be completely false.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
I have a SoFar 5kW inverter, the spec sheet says <5W standby losses. Looking at the data from the device it’s currently (dark, no battery charging/discharging) using 9W.

Still considering this and was told yesterday that ESB has a limit on the capacity of PV panels you can install, approx 7. something kW. Does anyone know if this is true? One of my quotes is for 8.8kw. (21 panels).

Here are my quotes, received this past week, all exc. grant of €2,100.
Electric Ireland/NRG- 6 kWp: diverter and battery, 5.1 kWp. €16,585
without battery- €11,539
Local, highly recommended, supplier: 8.8kWp(21 panels), inverter, diverter, all fixings and installed:€11,920.
With battery: €15,906(this quote Aug '23).

Any views? Should I keep shopping around? Battery or no battery? It doesn't appear to me that we will get super low night rates, almost equal to the FIT or slightly higher.

Still considering this and was told yesterday that ESB has a limit on the capacity of PV panels you can install, approx 7. something kW. Does anyone know if this is true? One of my quotes is for 8.8kw. (21 panels).
The inverter size is what matters because even if you connected 20kW of panels to a 5kW inverter, the maximum power you could send to the grid would be 5kW.

I think 5.5kW (maybe 6kW but some debate) is the largest inverter you’re allowed install.

@Slim

Panels typically run at about €300 per unit, possibly a little more for higher end.

The likes of a Dyness 5.1kw battery is about €2k.

You'll get a 5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter for about €1500, I think the 6kw is about €300 more.

Add some extra labour, fittings etc and some additional profit margin, and your quotes still look high.

Is it Huawei equipment, by any chance? Their equipment is good, but notably more expensive.

You might like to also keep an eye on this discussion thread, given some related info.

Last edited:
@Slim

Panels typically run at about €300 per unit, possibly a little more for higher end.

The likes of a Dyness 5.1kw battery is about €2k.

You'll get a 5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter for about €1500, I think the 6kw is about €300 more.

Add some extra labour, fittings etc and some additional profit margin, and your quotes still look high.

Is it Huawei equipment, by any chance? Their equipment is good, but notably more expensive.

You might like to also keep an eye on this discussion thread, given some related info.
Thank you. Nothing is Huawei. I suppose, as we don't live near any large urban area, competition is limited. It does look like there's a fair chunk in the quote for fitting and labour. I would also feel that back up and support would be better from a local firm.

The significant question, for me, is battery or no battery. Even at the higher price, a modest return will exceed anything we'd get on the money in the bank or credit union.

Thank you. Nothing is Huawei. I suppose, as we don't live near any large urban area, competition is limited. It does look like there's a fair chunk in the quote for fitting and labour. I would also feel that back up and support would be better from a local firm.

The significant question, for me, is battery or no battery. Even at the higher price, a modest return will exceed anything we'd get on the money in the bank or credit union.
I got a 10kw battery with my system and never regretted it . I have a day/night smart meter and charge the solar battery on the cheap rate at night time. Therefore I am getting my daytime electricity ( most of the time!) from my solar panels and/or the solar battery. I get paid for anything that goes back to the grid at a better rate than I pay for the night rate.
The battery is also useful in the event of a power outage - it'll keep a few lights on providing the battery has sufficient charge!

I get paid for anything that goes back to the grid at a better rate than I pay for the night rate
This is a key point, what would the FIT rate be versus the night rate? I'm struggling to get a clear picture of what rates will be available from, say, 1st April. Also, my quote seems expensive, especially for the battery.

I suppose, as we don't live near any large urban area, competition is limited. It does look like there's a fair chunk in the quote for fitting and labour. I would also feel that back up and support would be better from a local firm.

Have you signed up for that PV Solar Facebook group that I recommended a few weeks ago? If not then I urge you to do it.
Then, upload your quotes there and ask for views. Also ask there for tips on any local installers.

There's also an active ongoing debate about whether or not to install batteries. I did - and I'm glad that I did because for me, the cheap night rate electricity made it a very attractive add-on.

I thought about that for a while, and ultimately decided to get a battery.

It's not as easy a decision, as the decision to buy the panels, but for me, it ultimately came down to one question - was I likely to generate more power than I would be using, on a regular basis.

My conclusion was that I would, during the summer period, and possibly also late spring, and early autumn.

While that power can be sold to the national grid, you get a lot less, than what you are charged, when you get power from the grid, so I would rather store it, and then use it that evening/night.

Some people opt for an electricity package with a cheap night time rate, so they recharge their battery during the night, at the cheap rate, then use the power at other times, when they don't generate enough solar powers, and the rate from their electricity provider is a lot higher.

I'd you decide to go that route, need very careful about which electricity provider you go with, as some are very expensive during daytime, or peak periods, and if you aren't generating enough solar power, you could end up paying a very expense rate, when you do need to get power from your supplier.

Hello,

I cant take credit for this work, but it is openly shared on a solar group that I'm a member of.

Hopefully, it'll help with the question on buying a battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_013807_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_013807_Gallery.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 31
Have you signed up for that PV Solar Facebook group that I recommended a few weeks ago? If not then I urge you to do it.
Then, upload your quotes there and ask for views. Also ask there for tips on any local installers.

There's also an active ongoing debate about whether or not to install batteries. I did - and I'm glad that I did because for me, the cheap night rate electricity made it a very attractive add-on.

I'd second that, assuming it's the same group that I was introduced to (the Irish Solar Owners Group), being introduced to it was the best bit of advice I was ever given.... with regards to solar.

Thanks all for the replies. I have, so far, resisted the pressure to join FB but this, and other areas of interest, are persuading me to take the plunge.

Back