Advice on car from uk

fredg

Hi all,I’m considering getting an Audi A4 estate 2016 from uk before brexit happens.

Average price is about £10k which to me looks excellent value considering spec you get.

I just want advice and thoughts of people who’ve done this,is it worth it? Is the process difficult with VRT changeover etc,

Any other advice welcomed,

Thanks
Fred

I’ve brought in cars from the UK 4-5 times, have always found it very straightforward and a bit of an adventure flying over and driving back, would thoroughly recommend if the economics stack up.

As per the keypost, I’d recommend getting at least a HPI check done in advance (very easy online) or better yet one of the tests where a tech goes out and looks at the car for you, I think these are well worth it.

Get a Flexi ticket for the ferry so you aren’t panicking driving back if something goes wrong.

Also in the same boat, the sterling weakness and the new uk reg arriving in September presents a definite opportunity during October in my view, Im very happy with my current car but could live with a change when value is added, I plan on buying from a dealer with a HPI check,

And don’t forget there’s a €5k VRT exemption on importing electric cars, if anybody is inclined that way. They’ve also been an appreciating asset the last 24 months due to high demand, so pretty low risk time to give one a try.

No use for the OP unfortunately as there’s no electric estate cars or MPVs yet.

And don’t forget there’s a €5k VRT exemption on importing electric cars, if anybody is inclined that way. They’ve also been an appreciating asset the last 24 months due to high demand, so pretty low risk time to give one a try.

No use for the OP unfortunately as there’s no electric estate cars or MPVs yet.

So import a used electric only vehicle and there is no charge for the first €5000 in vrt, that seems to be very attractive,

Last edited:
They’ve also been an appreciating asset the last 24 months due to high demand

Where is a 2 year old electric car selling for more than new? Looking at CBG and Carzone they're showing pretty typical depreciation.

Where is a 2 year old electric car selling for more than new? Looking at CBG and Carzone they're showing pretty typical depreciation.
Sorry, I meant that in the context of this discussion, so secondhand EVs and to be fair older than a year or two. None are selling for more than new certainly.

Reactions: Leo
Sorry, I meant that in the context of this discussion, so secondhand EVs and to be fair older than a year or two. None are selling for more than new certainly.

Fair enough, appreciating assets are rare things indeed in the motoring world. :D

is it worth going uk over heading north, north being the much easier of course????

If you buy in the UK, how are you selling your old car here at home? Donedeal?
Is it selling quickly?

Re. DoneDeal, I sold my 12 year old car on it recently. It was a big engined, high mileage and high tax but a fairly rare BMW model that might have appealed to enthusiasts.

You basically have to either be prepared to wait for a buyer or price it low if you want to get rid of it. I sold for 25% less than what I thought I intially might get for it.

And you will have a lot of messers ringing. Amazing the amount of guys wanting to come with cash that evening without even asking about the car never mind seeing it. And lads coming over from the UK with cash and trying to agree a deal without seeing the car or asking about it.

is it worth going uk over heading north, north being the much easier of course????
Northern Ireland dealers add a premium of 1-3k sterling over the prices asked in UK 'mainland'. I would search on autotrader and fly over/sail back.

One thing to consider if you're importing is whether there is residual VRT on the car you're replacing as you will be due a refund if you export it, for example if you trade it in in the UK/NI when you get your new car. I got €3.5k back on a 10 year old car I exported a while back, made it a no brainer!

Fair enough, appreciating assets are rare things indeed in the motoring world. :D

I bought a 2014 Nissan Leaf EV in March 2017 for 9980 (total on the road price including flights, ferry, reg plates and travel) in the UK, and sold it in January 2019 for 11,000.

If you have an eye for cars and trends, you can buy and sell without ever losing a penny. Ive sold every single car ive bought over the last 10 years for more than I bought it for, its something i'm quite proud of to be honest.

How do you get insurance cover on an imported car before the VRT is paid and the Irish reg plates are acquired?

How do you get insurance cover on an imported car before the VRT is paid and the Irish reg plates are acquired?

All insurance companies here will be familiar with the process, they will allow you temporarily reassign cover from your existing policy to the new car, you'll need to provide them the Irish reg details once that is all sorted. Might be trickier if you don't have an existing policy in your name.

Back