Key Post: Importing a car from the UK

F

Fiona Freeman

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a car in the UK and I'm looking for information on what taxes/other costs I'll have to pay. I haven't decided whether or not to buy a new or a second car so if you could give me details for both that would be great.

I am a permanent resident in Ireland.

Thanks

Re: Importing a car from the UK

Hi Fiona,

Apart from the €/STG£ exchange rate, your main cost will be Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT). There's a good section on importing cars on the Revenue website [broken link removed].

Of course, if you buy a Classic Car (over 30 years old), the VRT is something like €50 or less, your annual road tax is also under €50 irrespective of engine size, and you may well be able to get lower insurance premiums.

Liam D Ferguson
www.ferga.com

Used Car Import from UK

Hi Fiona,
For peace of mind you could use the services of HPI - the UK's leading vehicle info. authority. For a fee the company will check used cars for VIN match, Condition, any outstanding finance, if it was stolen etc.
www.hpi.co.uk
I used when importing an old audi and found it an added independent sense of security.

import car

What is the position re VRT if you import say an engine, 2 weeks later you import a car chassis and register this ?

Irrelevant comment

This reminds me of a song by the great Johnny Cash about a man who worked all his life in a car factory and every day brought home one component of a car until eventually he had built an entire one. :D

Duty / Tax clear up

Could somebody clear this duty thing up once and for all since there has been a lot of talk in the papers about car price competitiveness between european countries. If i buy a car in Germany and pay the german duty and tax there. do I have to pay any duty or tax here?? is the VRT the ONLY cost??
The newspapers have made a point of saying that Ireland is one of the most expensive places to buy a car because of duty and tax. Is there nothing stopping us going abroad to buy a car (as long as the steering wheel is on the correct side)? Has anyone on this site actually done it??
Spesh

duty/tax

What is the position if I buy say a caravan in France and import it. Will I have to pay vrt? And what about a camper van, this is treated the same as a car i presume?

Re: Duty / Tax clear up

In response to Spesh,

Take a look at this [broken link removed]. It answers many of your questions.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> "If i buy a car in Germany and pay the german duty and tax there. do I have to pay any duty or tax here?? "<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Yes. VRT is payable on the estimated Irish market value. VRT is not payable if the individual is changing residency, or the car is a legacy from an estate, or is a classic car.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> "is the VRT the ONLY cost??"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

If the car is new, VAT will be payable. Shipping costs, etc will also be payable.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> "Is there nothing stopping us going abroad to buy a car (as long as the steering wheel is on the correct side)?"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Nope

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> "Has anyone on this site actually done it??"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I haven't done it myself, but I remember seeing a former Taoiseach's daughter brought back a BMW from Brussels, following her stage there. Bless her.

one piece at atime

I believe that chap Johnny Cash sung about was caught nicking the last piece of the car and spent many many years in Folsam prison as somebodies bitch.......

Motor homes.

Macnas, Are you thinking of buying a camper van/motorhome and importing it in to Ireland. I am thinking along those lines also. Has anyone a recommendation on models/makes/where to purchase?

Griz

Classic Cars

Liam,
Classic 30 years or greater ?
Is this right?
I can't find it on the revenue VRT site
Rgds, F

recent purchase in uk but needs work

I recently bought a car in the UK and have to get it registered here. It needs about 1500 euro worth of work done to it. Will this be taken into account when the VRT has to be paid?

Re: recent purchase in uk but needs work

Try pointing this out, you might get a small reduction if you are very very lucky

Re: Motor homes.

I have imported a camper from Germany. Would recommend "HYMER" PREF. WITH MERC. ENGINE.The position with used camper is that a vehicle that exceeds 3tonne and certain criteria re height ect. is duty/tax free. It must be weighed at approved place and cert. obtained to present when registering it.

Re: >>Importing a car from the UK

I just brought in a car from the UK.

As it is over 12 months old I only had to pay the VRT (which was approx. 3k). It was still under warranty in the UK for a further 3 years and this is upheld in dealers here in Ireland. An absolute bargain.

Saving approx. 3k!

Re: Motor homes.

KILDALKEYJOE said:
I have imported a camper from Germany. Would recommend "HYMER" PREF. WITH MERC. ENGINE.The position with used camper is that a vehicle that exceeds 3tonne and certain criteria re height ect. is duty/tax free. It must be weighed at approved place and cert. obtained to present when registering it.

I just imported a camper from the UK, filled it up with bricks so it weighed over 3 tonnes and have no probs registering it here FOC.

im looking at buying a swcond hand car from over the boarder and want to change it to an irish registration plate... what is the probable cost for bringing it across the boarder and geting the number plate... only asking as the link provided aint linking at the moment:(
thanks

Back