Advice needed re ulster bank "losing" a document

@wacojako great news, where did you get the recording from, did BOI produce it or did you get if from your work?

I have a similar issue with BOI, where they maintain that I called them, but in fact it was the other way around they had called me, they also dispute the contents of the call.

Would love to know if BOI have recordings, I assume they conveniently can't find the ones that incriminate them.

This should be a very interesting case and it should open up another cohort for BOI in relation to the Tracker examination.

Please do keep posting here on the outcome, as you are probably the only one who has proof that they will lie through there teeth, if needs be.

Last edited:
@todo I got it from work.

They have to have the recordings as I say it's just convenient that they can't find them. Under the Consumer Protection Code 2012 all calls where people were giving advice/selling had to be recorded. There was fines issued where companys were non compliant. Tho in saying that it really depends when the call was made as I don't think the CB cracked down on it until 2013.

It's funny after I requested the call I turned to my partner and father and said "I bet they will come back and say they can't find the call". Anyhow I have another complaint open with BOI now along side the tracker issue, we'll just wait and see if the 'missing' phonecall turns up on there end.

My call was from back in 2008, so may not be covered under that code.

It would be a service worth paying for if mobile operators could allow a person to have all calls recorded, if they wanted.

Would certainly help in a lot of situations.

Please do let us know the outcome of this.

Great result, a lot of us on here, waiting for update from Bank of Ireland, do keep us posted. I also requested all my calls, however a lot was missing.

I'm still waiting to hear from Ulster Bank reguarding my missing fixed rate paperwork from 2006.

I have been informed that Ulster Bank moved information from a mortgage system called 'RFS' in 2006 to a new system called 'GMS'. I wonder if this is part of the problem.

RFS was the existing First Active system when UB took over so they moved stuff to the UB system which was GMS eventually, not all of it was done straight away, only new mortgage being issued with full switchover I imagine after amalgamation of both businesses.

We were always with UB and made lots of phone queries in 2009 re our fixed term finishing and when the tracker would be returned and lot's of complaints early 2010 when the tracker was not returned. One of the banks queries to the Ombudsman was why had we not complained when we did not have the tracker returned in early 2010. Upon receiving the list of phone calls that the bank have on record after DPC request somehow they only have records of calls made long after we gave up complaining. I'd imagine it's just a "Systems Error"

@Gen360 do you have an idea when you made the calls or from where? Ulster said I did not contact also and similarly no recordings available which was annoying as I had made calls specifically thinking I was making a valid recording. However, I rang my provider and got itemised bills, I don't have the content of the call but I can at least show the calls were made despite their intimations that they had not been

@notabene The calls could have been made from anywhere. I would say next to impossible to find from my end. But I will definitely have a look. It's fairly obvious that anything from the time we said we were making calls is missing as as the records start just after. Is it reasonable for the bank to even suggest that someone who has been complaining about this for the last seven years did not call to complain immediately the tracker rate was not returned? We know what was said in those conversations would not be in the banks interest.

Ok so i got the BOI final response in relation to the call. It states...
"I can confirm following an extensive investigation to locate this call our efforts, thus far, have been unsuccessful in locating this call. I am sorry that we have been unable to locate this call and provide you with a copy of it.
I can advise our introduction on our call scripting confirms;
'To monitor and improve our service and for training and verification purposes calls MAY be recorded' "

So may was underlined and in bold.

What do I do next, do I send the recording to the Central Bank or do I send it to BOI seeing if they will act on it?? Or FSO maybe.

Send to BOI first and see what happens - I would think that the Central Bank and FSO would ask have you provided to them first if you were to approach them

It may be worth getting some advice before you let BOI know what they said.

They are pretty good at keeping you in the dark.

It may be an idea to let them know you have a copy of the call, and ask them based on it confirming your version of events will they reinstate the tracker.

Supposedly they keep a record of all communication with the customer, have they admitting to having anything at all in relation to this call.

@todo They have a footnote (like a brief synopsis of the call notepaded) I have got them to call me out said notepad and it doesn't mention the rate just i was unaware i was on a tracker.

I'm going to send them the call and see what happens from there. I'll keep you all posted.

Back