Advice needed re ulster bank "losing" a document

My issue currently with data protection commissioner.
Thing is the documents they say they don't have are more recent than other documents.
Also better chance they are originally tracker for that reason.

Guess what data protection commissioner said?

They said if boi can't find the documents then there is nothing they can do !!!

Now there's good use of the taxpayers money!

There's a watchdog with teeth!

If boi can't find the document what can they possibly do!

Ask them why.
Ask then who else's documents are missing
Rap them on the knuckles for losing them
Do something!

They have the original documents but missing some along the way!!!

How convenient.

Who to be annoyed with... The bank or the data protection commissioner.

My issue currently with data protection commissioner.
Thing is the documents they say they don't have are more recent than other documents.
Also better chance they are originally tracker for that reason.

Hello, a similar thing has happened to me.

Like others I fixed in 2006 and was then put on a SVR at the end of the fixed period.

I am now waiting for Ulster Bank to review my case. Hoping to get some news asap.

While waiting I applied for a SAR (Subject Access Request). When this arrived I found one thing missing. The fixed rate paperwork from 2006.

I asked Ulster Bank for this but they say they cant find it.

I am now very concerned that a key document is now missing from my file, one which will decease or destroy my chances of getting a positive outcome from
the review.

Has anyone else had important files conveniently lost by Ulster Bank?

AnneB77 did you get anywhere with them since?

Last edited:
I took out an U bank tracker through a broker around 2004. I had some dealings with U bank a few years ago and broker helped. I was surprised that he had all documentation from 10 or more years previously.
If anyone used a broker to take out a mortgage, the broker might be a good place to start digging for "lost" documents.

Hi @auxred yes I have missing documents from my Ulster Bank file.

*Caveat* I am not a financial professional. I'm an Ulster Bank customer who has some experience on this but you will need to seek legal advice to be absolutely sure this information is correct.

What I'd say to you is that your contract is the fall-back point. If your contract says your tracker rate is 'for the life of the mortgage' then that's the most important document on your file.
Contact the Data Protection Commissioner and make a complaint via her office. It takes time but there will be to & fro between you, her office, and Ulster Bank. You will find more documents appear with her giant spotlight. However this doesn't guarantee that your fixed rate instruction will turn up.

If Ulster Bank have indeed lost the document then at least it is flagged on the Data Protection Commissioner's radar. Unfortunately Ulster Bank have lost quite a few essential documents from quite a few customers. At best it's crap filing and document management, at worst...well that would be subject to a DPC prosecution. She would only be able to do that if everybody who was missing documents made a complaint directly to her though.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys. I will flag this with the Data Protection Commissioner and see what the outcome is. Best of luck to you guys also.

Why don't all these Borrowers have their own copies of their loan documents?
Andy in my case it's not the loan documents, it's correspondence that I've sent them, and they acknowledged at the time, but yet have no record of. There's a lack of emails sent relating to my file, which normally wouldn't flag concern for most account holders. However in my case I had an FSO case on my file in the past few years and I have a copy of the FSO emails to the bank. That means I have evidence of some of the emails that were sent but only from the FSO end. The bank claim only 1 email was sent in total, which I can prove is not the case. They are also missing phone records relating to complaints.

I did a SAR also with UB and low and behold they can't find important paperwork in relation to my rate options when I came off my fixed... seems to be a pattern here

I made a phonecall to BOI in 2015 regarding my tracker mortgage, i was told over the phone "it was discounted at ECB +.69% for 12 months and then ECB +1.25% for the remainder of the term". I requested this call to be sent out to me at the begining of April this year and was told it would take two weeks. I rang today to look for an update as it's been over two weeks and was told they can't find a call log in relation to the call. Maybe i'm being very cynical but is this not a bit 'convenient' as it proves i'm entitled to a tracker, which BOI are denying as there was no provision for it in my original loan offer!

Nobody knew in 2005 how valuable it (a tracker) was

Nonsense.

Since Adam was in short pants the only mortgage product available was a variable rate loan (or a short term fix) which meant that for the duration of the loan the borrower was at the mercy of the bank not to screw up the rate to whatever they liked.

With the introduction of the tracker for the first time ever the borrower had a contract which meant that the interest rate varied in step with an external rate that the lender had no control over.

Any one with the slightest understanding could see that this was hugely valuable.

I don't consider its nonsense, i feel that a majority of the tracker mortgage holders had no idea of their future value.The banks were issuing trackers like confetti and nobody could envisage the collapse of interest rates
over the following years.

I don't consider its nonsense, i feel that a majority of the tracker mortgage holders had no idea of their future value.The banks were issuing trackers like confetti and nobody could envisage the collapse of interest rates
over the following years.

I agree with you Lukas. I think 'nonsense' is a very patronising word to use. The banks didn't cop on to their huge value until mid 2008. They gave me mine in 2006 without batting an eyelid.

@notabene I gave them the exact time and date of the call as I wrote everything down at the time. Even the name of the girl i was speaking to. I made the call from work and calls are recorded there so I have someone working on getting the call for me on my end,so fingers crossed. I just find it all a bit suss.

@WackoJacko - i had similar issues as all was done by phone too - you're lucky they record them in work also - hopefully you'll get the recording!

I have the call!!! The lady states "it was discounted at ECB +.69% for 12months and then ECB +1.30% for the remainder of the term" (on previous post I said 1.25%) I fixed in 2007 so should I have been offerred tracker rate in 2010 when the fixed term was up. Again there being no provision for a tracker in my original loan offer.

@wacojako brilliant news well done - wonder could this be used generally to show the type of advice customers were given

Back