Act of Union partially repealed

The creation of the NI state 100 years ago was an undemocratic act backed by the threat of violence.

The creation of the Act of Union 220 years ago was a similar undemocratic act accompanied by the persuasive force of overwhelming military might.

Both seem to be past their best before date.

Jeffrey Donaldson was gushing over the 100yr commemoration of King George speech bringing NI parliament into existence.

How long before he makes a speech that permanently ends the NI parliament?

The Newsletter has this and this on it, if you can deal with the appalling use of English in the article.
An absolutely fascinating paper the Newsletter. Founded in 1737 it is the oldest newspaper in the world still in operation. It was founded by Francis Joy a Belfast Presbyterian and grandfather of Henry Joy MaCracken. It was a strongly Republican paper and supported Wolf Tone.

I had not noticed the appalling use of English you mention but wow.

Sad to see it has fallen so far.

An absolutely fascinating paper the Newsletter. Founded in 1737 it is the oldest newspaper in the world still in operation. It was founded by Francis Joy a Belfast Presbyterian and grandfather of Henry Joy MaCracken. It was a strongly Republican paper and supported Wolf Tone.
Most of the founders and leaders of the United Irishmen were Presbyterians. It was a middle to upper-class Protestant organisation until the bloody Papists in Wexford took over (and made a balls of it).
I had not noticed the appalling use of English you mention but wow.

Sad to see it has fallen so far.
It's the oldest English language newspaper in the world that's still published.
There's a few older ones, particularly in Germany & Austria.

Last edited:
until the bloody Papists in Wexford took over (and made a balls of it).
Sure but for Wexford it would barely have happened at all. #footnote. Amazing that barely 100 years after the battle of the Boyne they could be on the same side, but 330 year post BoB it is pretty much unthinkable.

Sure but for Wexford it would barely have happened at all. #footnote. Amazing that barely 100 years after the battle of the Boyne they could be on the same side, but 330 year post BoB it is pretty much unthinkable.
Yep, the real issue was that the Presbyterians were angry at being lumped in with the Papists. Once they were back in the fold they were happy little loyalists again. It's amazing how almost every time it all comes down to money.

It's amazing how almost every time it all comes down to money.

Yes, and not just Ireland, practically everywhere throughout the ages. Thousands of young men sent to fight and die for the honour of their Kings, flags and country while all it is ever about is sustaining the rights and entitlements of those with privilege.

Soldier F is considered not worthy by the British State of standing trial for the murder of two innocent people, including a child, and the attempted murder of 5 others.
The British State has decided its soldiers are not to be held accountable for its acts of terrorism in Ireland. And people wonder what sustained the IRA campaign for 25yrs, what was it all about?

Danny Morrison, gives an excellent insight of his version of events at the outbreak of the Troubles and what it was like for him living in Belfast at the time.
Danny Morrison

The repeal of the Act of the Union needs to be completed in full.

Last edited:
Yes, and not just Ireland, practically everywhere throughout the ages. Thousands of young men sent to fight and die for the honour of their Kings, flags and country while all it is ever about is sustaining the rights and entitlements of those with privilege.
It’s always been that way. From Ireland in 1918 to Afghanistan now, men join armies and militias so that their families don’t starve. They don’t fight for glory or ideals, they fight for food.

Danny Morrison, gives an excellent insight of his version of events at the outbreak of the Troubles and what it was like for him living in Belfast at the time.
Danny Morrison
I've got to about 8 mins in Danny's podcast. We're of similar vintage and indeed Corby Way where he was born is a stone's throw (sorry for pun) away from where I was brought up. He reminds me that we were not allowed to fly the Tricolour and that GAA matches were not broadcast on BBC. Truly we were the MOPE - the most oppressed people ever.

Of course Danny is famous for the strategy of the "bomb in one hand and the ballot box in the other".
Less famous but in a similar vein is Grisly's "equality is the trojan horse by which we will get the b*stards"

Last edited:
It’s always been that way. From Ireland in 1918 to Afghanistan now, men join armies and militias so that their families don’t starve. They don’t fight for glory or ideals, they fight for food.

True, in part. There are those who do fight legitimacy for a fundamental cause. Volunteering their lives for a greater good, or at least what they perceive to be a greater good.

And there are those who sign up for pay and pension for the privilege of immunity from prosecution for the crime of murdering the very people the profess they are there to protect.

I've got to about 8 mins

Up to yourself of course, but I recommend the full podcast before offering an opinion.
I understand that we are all not going to come same conclusion. A bit like that Game of Thrones series, I could not get past episode 5 of season 1, but I am reliably told it was an epic adventure for a near decade across the Western world.

The main point is, if it was just solely Morrisons opinion, you could take it with a pinch of salt. But as you mention, he was prominent in devising a political and military strategy that was supported by large tracts of an unrepentant community where he came from. It gives some substance to his perspective, in my opinion.

There is obviously the other side of that perspective, one that no doubt we are all familiar with.
I think it is important and useful for all perspectives to be heard. For instance, I am interested in why
the near silence from the Unionism that British Army soldiers are effectively immune from prosecution for murder of innocent civilians including teenage boys, save those that cheer the decision.
It's almost as if some in the community of Daniel Hegarty saw what was happening and realised that British law and order did not apply to those privileged, paid and pensionable, officers of the British Army, and took matters into their own hands. Wrong of course, but human nature being human nature, it is understandle.

For the rest of us, it has taken 50yrs for the British State to formally announce the privileged entitlement of British Army soldiers to murder its own citizens on the streets of the UK.

@WolfeTone Believe it or not I listened to all of Morrison's interview. Sure it was more measured than I expected. He even sounds like Leo in talking about a negotiated UI. Also interesting was his admission that he no longer feels victimised as a nationalist in NI echoing what I have been saying - the root causes of the original civil rights movement have long been addressed.
The way I see it the individual things that Danny states like banning of the tricolour or even your fixation that British soldiers are not being prosecuted cannot be denied but they they must be seen in perspective.

the root causes of the original civil rights movement have long been addressed

Absolutely, but additional abuses of rights were never addressed. The decision not to prosecute soldiers for instance. This is evident with the family of Daniel Hegarty announcing they will appeal this decision.
My 'fixation' with British soldiers not being prosecuted is no doubt one central reason for the continuation of the conflict for so long.

Back