Accountant without a Practising Cert

@cremeegg - Thank you for your response. I am aware that if I forget about the CPA there is nothing to stop me operating as an "Accountant" which all seems very wrong in my view. I have gone through the steps and have the experience but just didn't formalise it in the past as I didn't have any need for a practicing cert. I am aware of others with less and very similar experience who used that same experience and got their practicing certs but that was many years ago. I am willing to put in the "practice" experience but cannot do it by becoming a PAYE worker - both my work career break agreement and personal circumstances just don't allow and hence my post here. I am also willing to do training, a course and or exam but I don't think any such exist. I'd be delighted if you know of any. If the truth be known, I think that the accountancy institutes should be inclusive and work with people on career changes and career developments rather than put obstacles in the way ... after all we are all qualified and capable ... just maybe have more experience in one particular area etc. I want to do things ethically and correct and stay abreast of developments which is why I'm going to the trouble of trying to get a practicing cert. It doesn't make sense that it is easier do the wrong thing!

If the truth be known, I think that the accountancy institutes should be inclusive and work with people on career changes and career developments rather than put obstacles in the way ... after all we are all qualified and capable ... just maybe have more experience in one particular area etc.

It is not about you, it is about protecting the general public and the reputation of the institution to which you belong and how it impacts other members who rely on that the qualification to earn their living. If you do not have the required experience and appropriate PQE to obtain a practicing certificate then you absolutely should not be let lose on the general public.

@Jim2007 - Of Course, I couldn't agree with you more. However, there should be consistency but I do understand that regulation is getting more challenging. Having said that, I think there is a gap in the pathway of moving from industry to practice and also the professional organisation should try and work with members rather than making it difficult and creating obstacles. I know it's not a normal move from industry to practice and for me it would be a huge reduction in salary but needs must and personal circumstances change depending on different life changes.

I attended Alan Moore Conference today (I go every year). An interesting obversation: spoke to 4 people I never met before
2 men in practice - neither hold a practicing cert and are not aligned to any accountancy body.
2 Females in Industry - both qualified and members of an accountancy body.

You should probably talk to Omnipro or another of the independent consultants who advise accountants and practices on professional regulatory compliance.

Back