A time to Buy financial shares?

Maximus152

Hi all,
I read from this forum quiet often, 2 years now. I have decided to open a thread as I am interested in investing some SSIA, this is due to the dramatic events in the finacial markets (I usually buy Bio-techs, and have done quiet well i.e couple of grand over years).
My question, is there any stock worth buying now due to USA interest cut of 1/2 &, i.e bank or otherwise...any ideas with reasoning appreciated. I think its now a good time to invest say a 1/3 of savings... Any opinions?

Maximus152
A rolling stone gathers no moss

Re: A time to Buy!

I think it is extremely risky to invest 1/3 of your savings in a particular stock at the moment particular in the banking sector. As of yet nobody yet knows where the subprime mortgage loses lie, you don't want to be left holding a bank that subsequently announces massive loses from trading mortgage. The best advise I could give anyone at the moment is to stay out of the market! If you are determined to enter then make sure you spread you investment widely. ETF are cheapest and best IMO option for retail investors.

Thomas,
well I guess you have a valid point, but with the risk calculated the potential rewards could be handsome, maybe be not. Is nt that the whole point. I was just wondering did anyone have a target yet i.e what goes up must go down and vis-versa... sometime :)

Thomas,
well I guess you have a valid point, but with the risk calculated the potential rewards could be handsome, maybe be not. Is nt that the whole point. I was just wondering did anyone have a target yet i.e what goes up must go down and vis-versa... sometime :)

The basics of any long-term investing is that diversification is the only free lunch on the street. Investing in a single company can be highly profitable but it can also be a way to quickly lose all your money.

I used to work as a trader and the only thing I invest in at the moment is ETF's but currently I'm 90% cash. I think it will be another couple of weeks before I change my stance.

Thomas, ETF's ..I take it these are exchange trade funds (wondering whom with), I was tempted but I think anyone who has money in these at the moment must be pulling thier peverbial hair out if they have large %'s in US or UK investments what ever about emerging markets. Would you not think that ETF's are just as risky in the present climate... If not can you give me reason (i.e eveidence to support this)

Room305, Im registerd with this site yes as of 19.0907 @ 08:30. Do nt tell me I have to register with another site or forum.... I register with a new forum only once every millenium :) so!

Room305, Im registerd with this site yes as of 19.0907 @ 08:30. Do nt tell me I have to register with another site or forum.... I register with a new forum only once every millenium :) so!

Afraid so. Askaboutshares has no direct affiliation with Askaboutmoney to the best of my knowledge.

Thomas, ETF's ..I take it these are exchange trade funds (wondering whom with), I was tempted but I think anyone who has money in these at the moment must be pulling thier peverbial hair out if they have large %'s in US or UK investments what ever about emerging markets. Would you not think that ETF's are just as risky in the present climate... If not can you give me reason (i.e eveidence to support this)

I think there are such a wide variety ETF's out there that you should be able to find something that suits your needs. There are country specific ones, industry specific and lately I have noticed some individual styles (high dividend yield etc..)

ETF's aren't nearly as risky as an individual stocks as you are getting diversification on the cheap. If you need evidence just look at the higher volatility on individual stocks versus market indices.

Did you make enough to retire?

No not yet ;)
I changed career direction but still work in investments/finance.
Working 12 hours a day just wasn't for me regardless of the rewards. There are easier and better ways to make money in this world IMO.

Room Thank you for your post... and information regarding postings. I like to make life complicated.... so I have been told!

Ratboy, track the ISEC, because it is at a yearly low from what I can see, it may be worth a second glance, I think it will start going up in near future.....just my perambulating thoughts...but hey what do I know... :)

with the drop in US int rates yesterday, the ISEQ 20 jumped 5% today so it would have been a good day to invest. i hold too high a % of my portfolio in Bank shares and have lost alot of my profit in the last few months - but who hasnt. If I was to do it over again, I would invest in ETF's aswell. If the stocks recover to a reasonable level I will get out and move to a suitable ETF. There are a number of threads on this wesite and on boards.ie and if you do the research I am sure that you will find something to meet your needs. The ISEQ 20 is heavily weighted in financial stocks so that might interest you.

Pop on over to . Its a great forum for discussing stocks and shares. And you can give your own opinion without being "baby sat" by the moderators on here.

Yeah it's great - you can pump shares and nobody'll try to stop you. You can also post speculation on shares and if you sound convincing enough lots of other people will accept your opinions as fact. :rolleyes:

But I guess if there's very few visitors it needs very little moderation.

Back