43 yr old looking to set healthy financial path

At the risk of repeating myself, I did say Swiss blue chip time lines are challenging.

At the risk of repeating myself, I did say Swiss blue chip time lines are challenging.

Use whatever time lines you like - I still don't see how you could reliably generate 3% after-tax dividend income on a diversified basket of large-cap Swiss stocks.

and the fact that Switzerland imposes a 35% dividend withholding tax.

Example
Imagine your salary is CHF15,000
Imagine your dividend is CHF 30
----------------------------------
Total income CHF15,030

Dividend tax is 30% CHF 10

10% overall tax CHF 1,503

Tax bill CHF1,503-CHF10= CHF 1,493

You've effectively paid the 10% (CHF3) on the dividend,
and they've returned the other 7CHF, reducing your tax bill.

Makes sense?

How Many Investments Have All These Advantages?
The more common stocks you own, the more gold you need.

In a world of elevated risks on multiple fronts, gold offers lower risk, greater safety, and bigger upside than any other investment.
Some of that stuff is nonsense. Also, it doesn't mention the massive disadvantage that gold doesn't produce income.

The thing worth keeping in mind about gold is that, if you bought it at the peak in 1980, you would still be down in real terms. Still, after nearly 40 years! And we've just come off another peak, and it's still pretty high. Unless you're betting on a collapse of civilisation sufficient to wipe out the markets, but not sufficient to just allow people to steal your gold, I'd be pretty sceptical of gold. At best, as the Buffet quote above says, you're effectively gambling on other peoples' fear. It's not an investment.

Well argued.
I'm guessing that's a sarcastic response.

@WorstPigeon has explained it much better than me...

The thing worth keeping in mind about gold is that, if you bought it at the peak in 1980, you would still be down in real terms. Still, after nearly 40 years! And we've just come off another peak, and it's still pretty high. Unless you're betting on a collapse of civilisation sufficient to wipe out the markets, but not sufficient to just allow people to steal your gold, I'd be pretty sceptical of gold. At best, as the Buffet quote above says, you're effectively gambling on other peoples' fear. It's not an investment.

To those who hold gold as a hedge against Armageddon, how exactly do you think your piece of paper proving you own that gold ETF will be viewed by the marauding rape gangs?

To those who own physical gold in a Perth mine, do you think they'll dodge the nukes to deliver it to you here in Ireland?

And to those who hold gold under their pillows, do you think the same marauding rape gangs will say "fair play" as you try and spend it at the one remaining Lidl in Dublin?

I'm with Buffet on this one...gold is a waste of time.

But surely in that scenario the best mercenaries would already have been snagged by the Dividend Kings of Middle Europa?

To those who hold gold as a hedge against Armageddon, how exactly do you think your piece of paper proving you own that gold ETF will be viewed by the marauding rape gangs?

To those who own physical gold in a Perth mine, do you think they'll dodge the nukes to deliver it to you here in Ireland?

And to those who hold gold under their pillows, do you think the same marauding rape gangs will say "fair play" as you try and spend it at the one remaining Lidl in Dublin?

I'm with Buffet on this one...gold is a waste of time.
Ah here now less of the ridicule.Thousands of investors trade gold cfds on a daily basis
And make and lose money as in trading any other commodity.I don't think even sir mille is
Suggesting that it should be anything but a tiny consideration of any investors financial planning. I'm sure that Buffet will be ecstatic
When the news reaches him that AAM posters agree with his views on gold.

It might be all very well for speculation, but it's not really an investment; it has wildly unstable value and doesn't produce income.

Its not wildly unstable, over the last 20 years it has climbed steadily year on year until its peak in 2011 and has fallen every year since.This
thread has now veered completely away from the financial path question,i think its time for all of us to finish the gold debate.

Its not wildly unstable, over the last 20 years it has climbed steadily year on year until its peak in 2011 and has fallen every year since.

Well, by any conventional measure gold has been more volatile than equities over the last 20-year period - which included two fairly devastating stock market crashes.

To be fair, over extremely long time periods gold does appear to have been a reasonable store of value. The problem is our individual lifespans are insufficiently long for this to be of much relevance. From memory, gold lost over 80% of its real purchasing power between 1985 and 2011 - and has obviously declined dramatically in value since then.

I do agree that we have strayed somewhat off-topic but I think it's reasonable to ask posters to justify, or at least explain, their advice. The OP can then make up his or her own mind whether or not to incorporate any recommendations into their own plans.

Back