3 Series or 5?

Has he considered a CLK 200 or is his heart set on a BMW?

Heart set on a Beemer. CLK 200 is a smashing car but he won't be shoved near a Merc dealership! He just perfers the BMW.

Avensis is also a non runner:D

Heart set on a Beemer. CLK 200 is a smashing car but he won't be shoved near a Merc dealership! He just perfers the BMW.

Avensis is also a non runner:D

Nothing wrong with an Avensis!
I love my CLK but now I've my heart set on a new TT...the old one was a hairdresser's car but the new one is pretty slick. Reckon waiting until 08 to get a 07 is the way to go...let someone else take the hit.
You should advise your mate to do the same. Brand new cars are a bit of a waste unless you're absolutely minted in my opinion.

Get your friend to read this thread.

Buying a brand new beamer is one thing...nice if you can do it and want to. Buying a brand new underpowered beamer is pure madness.

I still think the new 3 series saloon is dreadful looking - they gave it a paunch for some bizarre reason!!! I love the new coupe however.
5 series is the way to go...and for god's sake buy the 530D. It's also a very good looking car...a grower for sure.

But he perfers the saloon.
then he should buy a Volvo if he thinks the Saloon is nicer than the Coupe.

If I had that kind of money I know I wouldn't be splashing out and treating myself to a BMW.

I think the 5 series with the 3.0 diesel engine is now badged as a 525d. I know someone who just bought one with the automatic gearbox and they said its the best 5 series they have had....one their 3rd or 4th one now

Having been reading this thread, I can't help but think that those commenting on the 520D SE being underpowered haven't actually driven one.

I was actually lucky enough to be in a position to buy one this in January and I can confirm the performance is excellent for a car of this size and price range.

0-60 in 8.6 secs (auto) is 0.5 sec better than the €5k dearer 523i and the 50-70 time is better than the 523i & 525i and just a shade short of the 530i. For Irish road conditions, it has all the power you would ever need.

Of the cars in this class and size it is easily the best deal available (this is all relative, I know), particularly with the high level of spec you get with the 5 series BMW these days.

I still look forward to driving it every day

Having been reading this thread, I can't help but think that those commenting on the 520D SE being underpowered haven't actually driven one.

I was actually lucky enough to be in a position to buy one this in January and I can confirm the performance is excellent for a car of this size and price range.

0-60 in 8.6 secs (auto) is 0.5 sec better than the €5k dearer 523i and the 50-70 time is better than the 523i & 525i and just a shade short of the 530i. For Irish road conditions, it has all the power you would ever need.

Of the cars in this class and size it is easily the best deal available (this is all relative, I know), particularly with the high level of spec you get with the 5 series BMW these days.

It does make sense buying the 2L diesel considering it will be on Irish roads and not some American highway!. Did you add any extras?

Yes - my budget allowed me to get leather and automatic transmission. Delighted with both.

If your friends budget can extend that far, they would be almost essential on a car in this class particulary when coming to sell it on.

However, I found it hard to justify adding much else for 2 reasons - the fact the spec is very high anyway and the amount BMW look for on a lot of the other fairly frivolous extras.

re your original post, I feel the 5 series is a far better buy than the 3 series. A friend of mine had the same amount to spend as me at the time and he went for a specced up 325i instead. Having driven his for a few weeks, and no doubt it is a fine car, I have never had the slightest regret about my own decision.

Hope this helps your friend in coming to his decison.

I stand corrected :)
I didn't realise the 2L diesel had that much poke. That's not bad...not as nice as the 530 obviously...but it'll do ;)

Your friends decision should be even easier now REMFAN.

Yes - my budget allowed me to get leather and automatic transmission. Delighted with both.

However, I found it hard to justify adding much else for 2 reasons - the fact the spec is very high anyway and the amount BMW look for on a lot of the other fairly frivolous extras.

Hope this helps your friend in coming to his decison.

I suppose the leather has to be a given. He showed me the BMW extras catalogue and you could spend the value of the car kitting it out!!.
He has his trade in that is paid for, he'll throw a few k in himself and get a loan for the rest.

Your friends decision should be even easier now REMFAN.[/quote]

Some good food for thought. Either way he'll end up with a nice bus (that I will "borrow" from time to time:D ). Appreciate all the feedback.

Agreed - the 530d would be nice alright but I would find it very difficult hard to justify paying out another €16k for marginally better performance in an otherwise identical car.

The VRT rates in this country can really impact on your decision making when it comes to cars with engines greater than 2.0L.

I have to agree, currently I drive a 318ci and it does me, I drove 1.6s for 3 years before it and Im happy with the power. All though next car I would like to go bigger but even the 2l eats ( auto ) petrol and I dont think woth the amunt of city driving I do I could warrant the extra running costs for the extra kick on the w/e!!

I had a loaner of an 07 520 and I expected it to be sluggish given the size of the car, I was very surprised and would have no worries of performance stepping from a 318 to the 520...

Yes its nice to have a 6cyl and a 320 or 325 or 525 etc but as far as normal performance with reasonable running costs I think you would have to be the Stig to have an issue with these cars power...

Next car for me, having said all this, will be last model 5 series I think. For all the reasons that the 5 is preferred in previous posts, excellent value out there on an 03 5 series ( old model ) fully loaded etc...

re VRT - That's unlikely to change with the Greens now in government :(

In fairness the 530D offers more than marginally better performance.
8.6 (520D) vs 6.8 (530D) is a big old leap. For that I'd justify the extra wonga...but then I'm a closet petrol head ;)

All though next car I would like to go bigger but even the 2l eats ( auto ) petrol and I dont think woth the amunt of city driving I do I could warrant the extra running costs for the extra kick on the w/e!!
Ive been told the auto would use more then the manual but from my own experience my 520 petrol is roughly the same as my last car which was a 1.6 laguna. I get 420-430 miles out of a tank nearly every time and had got the same out of the laguna, averages around 28-30mpg or whatever that is in km so unless lagunas are bad as well I dont find the 520 heavy on juice. my 2 centimes.
Would anyone know the litre capacity of the tanks so that comparison is like for like?

The 530d vs 520d has caught my eye....can anyone let us know what the performance difference is with regard to mid range punch?

Basically talking acceleration from say 40-60mph & 50-70mph, overtaking speed mainly. 0-60 seems a bit irrelevant for day to day driving.

The above would be my deciding factor in choosing one or the other

Ive been told the auto would use more then the manual but from my own experience my 520 petrol is roughly the same as my last car which was a 1.6 laguna. I get 420-430 miles out of a tank nearly every time and had got the same out of the laguna, averages around 28-30mpg or whatever that is in km so unless lagunas are bad as well I dont find the 520 heavy on juice. my 2 centimes.
Would anyone know the litre capacity of the tanks so that comparison is like for like?

You are getting in around 700km on a full tank, thats quite good. My mate wants a manual gear box.

The 530d vs 520d has caught my eye....can anyone let us know what the performance difference is with regard to mid range punch?

Basically talking acceleration from say 40-60mph & 50-70mph, overtaking speed mainly. 0-60 seems a bit irrelevant for day to day driving.

The above would be my deciding factor in choosing one or the other

Hard to quantify, but there is a big difference.

ive a rover 75 auto with the 130bhp version of the same 2.0 bmw engine. its not the same car i know but it was positioned sizewise midway between the 3 and 5 back in the days. the engine really is excellant in terms of performance and economy, streets ahead of the 2litre petrol omega i used to have. loads of grunt for overtaking etc.
btw auto is the only way to go.

Hard to quantify, but there is a big difference.

What I thought, as from what I've read it's the mid range that sets these diesel engines apart, just wondering if it was actually really noticeable in car, rather than on a journalists review etc.

For me personlly though, i'd say the price would force me to stay at the 2-litre I'm afraid

Back