3 Series or 5?

REMFAN

Hey all. A friend is interested in changing his car in Jan 2008. He's narrowed it down to a 318d or a 520d SE. Is it just a size difference between the two cars? The 520 is 10k more!. Any BMW owners got any views on which is the better car in terms of overall comfort,resale value, problems with either model? thanks

I'd go for the 318. The 520d will be underpowered for a car of that size.

Tell him to save the 10 grand and he'll enjoy the 318d.

I have the 318 and its a smashing car, spend the 10k on leather interior and other upgrades. Can always get the 5 series next time

I'd go for the 318. The 520d will be underpowered for a car of that size.

Tell him to save the 10 grand and he'll enjoy the 318d.

318d is actually slower than the 520d. the latter car will be a lot more comfortable too.

Both are somewhat overpriced imho.

Advise him to try get the option that includes working indicators, its amazing the number of BMW's that don't seem to have this feature...

Advise him to try get the option that includes working indicators, its amazing the number of BMW's that don't seem to have this feature...

Must be because of the tinted windows - drivers are invisible so no need to indicate.

I prefer the 5 series myself. Both only look good with the right wheels and body kit. Standard car with the wrong wheels doesn't look that great IMO. Try a website like Parkers.co.uk to get a decent review.

the 318 d uses a detuned 2.0 engine. you loose power and still get taxed for a 2.0. Better to compare a 320 d to the 520d

As mentioned above the 5 needs a bigger engine.

Have driven the 530d very smooth and comfy. Much better than the last one.

5-series unless the 10k is an issue to him.... .its real step up in all areas over the 3 series.... (from a 3 series owner)

Got to be the 5 series. Much better car in every respect than the 318d. Obviously money is not a huge issue with so be sure to spec it well. Nice alloys and an auto box are musts when buying a 5 series. Much better comfort and interior space in the 5 and resale will not be a problem with this model.

I have the 318 and its a smashing car, spend the 10k on leather interior and other upgrades. Can always get the 5 series next time

I believe this is the idea,a well spec 318(air con,leather,nice alloys,wood dash) or the 5 series with leather. He's not loaded or anything(not that you have to be to drive one of those things,10 a penny), he does ok and of course he's no family to support so has decided to treat himself to a BMW.

Just wondered which is the better car overall. As stated the 5 series is 10k more and I can't justify it!.

Back