2nd baby due soon: what to buy my better half a pressie for the last nine months.

Re: What do I buy?

Buy her a nice dress in the size she was when you met her and tell her that when she fits into it you will take her out for a nice meal

i think a pampering day would be great not a good idea to do the above.

i know a few friends who where a size 10 befoe theygot pregnant and will
never be that size again.it does not bother them.a comment like that
would not go down well if she suffers with a weight problem.

€225 for a jar of cream are you off your rocker, as a woman I cant understand anyone paying that either.:eek:

It's a great cream and it works for night and day and eyes, you buy any decent cream at all i.e. clarins, ysl etc and buy the 3 individually you'll actually pay more than the euro 125 for the 30ml jar of creme de la mer. :cool:

Back to topic - it would be deemed a luxgurious gift, yet doesn't cost the earth and shows the op did some thinking.

Buy her a nice dress in the size she was when you met her and tell her that when she fits into it you will take her out for a nice meal

I took the above as a joke!!?? and yea, why shouldn't she be a size 10 again!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxylady http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=489274#post489274
€225 for a jar of cream are you off your rocker, as a woman I cant understand anyone paying that either.:eek:

It's a great cream and it works for night and day and eyes, you buy any decent cream at all i.e. clarins, ysl etc and buy the 3 individually you'll actually pay more than the euro 125 for the 30ml jar of creme de la mer. :cool:

Back to topic - it would be deemed a luxgurious gift, yet doesn't cost the earth and shows the op did some thinking.

You must have more money than sense woman!

Review below

"The reality is that this very basic, and I mean really basic, cream doesn't contain anything particularly extraordinary or unique, unless you want to believe that seaweed extract (sort of like seaweed tea) can somehow be worth this much money, or that it can in some way heal burns and scars. According to Susan Brawley, professor of plant biology at the University of Maine, "seaweed extract isn't a rare, exotic, or expensive ingredient. Seaweed extract is readily available and used in everything from cosmetics to food products and medical applications." Creme de la Mer contains mostly seaweed extract, mineral oil, petrolatum (similar to Vaseline), glycerin, waxlike thickening agents, plant oils, plant seeds, minerals, vitamins, more thickeners, and preservatives. How expensive can it be to stick some seaweed and vitamins in a cosmetic? According to the cosmetics chemists I've interviewed, it costs pennies, not hundreds of dollars. "

You could spend 10 euro on bio oil which really does work on stretch marks. But if you don't want to be a single dad....

If money isn't tight, a piece of jewellry with the bab's birthstone, if money is tight a book of personal vouchers as suggested is a brilliant idea.

It really depends on what the OP had in mind - does he want something that his wife will always have and every time she wears it or looks at it or whatever she will think of that special time when their baby was born. If this is his idea well then I would think jewellry. I got something for all my babies (nothing mad expensive - sometimes a bit of Alan Ardiff silver jewellry) and must say love them all and would wear them all the time especially if I'm going to something to do with the particular child like a play they in or something - soppy eh.

However, if he wants to be of practical help I'd advise him to start cooking now and fill the freezer with dinners and soups etc that she can use when he's gone back to work as having baby number 2 is different to baby number 1 and the mother can't sleep when baby sleeps as there is also a toddler to care for. Then organise a cleaner for a couple of hours a week for a few months clean the bathrooms, wash floors etc - will cost approx Euro20 per week and will be the best money you spend). THEN book 2 weeks off work to start when his wife comes home from hospital (if she's having a hospital birth) if possible and insist she stays in her PJs for those 2 weeks and take over the running of the house. She'll really know how much she is appreciated at the end of this ....

However, if he wants to be of practical help I'd advise him to start cooking now and fill the freezer with dinners and soups etc that she can use when he's gone back to work as having baby number 2 is different to baby number 1 and the mother can't sleep when baby sleeps as there is also a toddler to care for. Then organise a cleaner for a couple of hours a week for a few months clean the bathrooms, wash floors etc - will cost approx Euro20 per week and will be the best money you spend). THEN book 2 weeks off work to start when his wife comes home from hospital (if she's having a hospital birth) if possible and insist she stays in her PJs for those 2 weeks and take over the running of the house. She'll really know how much she is appreciated at the end of this ....

Really great ideas. :)

However, if he wants to be of practical help I'd advise him to start cooking now and fill the freezer with dinners and soups etc that she can use when he's gone back to work as having baby number 2 is different to baby number 1 and the mother can't sleep when baby sleeps as there is also a toddler to care for. Then organise a cleaner for a couple of hours a week for a few months clean the bathrooms, wash floors etc - will cost approx Euro20 per week and will be the best money you spend). THEN book 2 weeks off work to start when his wife comes home from hospital (if she's having a hospital birth) if possible and insist she stays in her PJs for those 2 weeks and take over the running of the house. She'll really know how much she is appreciated at the end of this ....[/quote]

I'm sure the op will be doing this anyway??????? Crikey he wants to buy her something nice for herself. If my husband insisted I stay in my PJ's I'd kill him, if he bought me a pair of killer heels however I'd be much happier.

Kitten you must have married a New Man. Mine ( and most married me I know) function/s best with explicit instructions. ;)

Point taken Kitten but everyone to their own. Wasn't suggesting for a moment that the OP insist his wife wear PJs but for me being looked after for 2 weeks after having a baby would be bliss.....

I had a baby 3 mths ago and the husband told me on the day babs was due that he's sending me away on a spa weekend - to be taken up whenever I want! Thinking of doing it during the cold mths after Christmas. It's true that I wouldn't have wanted it in the first month or two after the birth but its a GREAT thing to be looking forward to.
He spoke with a couple of my girlfriends and we're planning to go together.

Another thought - if she's not breastfeeding: offer to do the night feeds for the first three nights she's home from hospital - that would really help her get on her feet (or off them!).

good luck and congrats!

A voucher for a pampering day. You book a day off work to mind both kids and drop her off where ever the pampering day is booked for and collect her. If you have plenty of dosh to spend buy her two pampering days so she can take a friend.

Another thought - if she's not breastfeeding: offer to do the night feeds for the first three nights she's home from hospital - that would really help her get on her feet (or off them!).

good luck and congrats!

I would like to think all men would do this for their wife (for a week or longer) who has just given birth/ had a c-section. This shouldn't be a gift it should be done!

I would like to think all men would do this for their wife (for a week or longer) who has just given birth/ had a c-section. This shouldn't be a gift it should be done!

TillyD - while I don't want to discourage men from 'doing the right thing' the first weeks are pretty exhausting for the menfolk too!

As many births take place during the night-time (my 3 did) firstly they loose a night's sleep to start. Then, if there are other kids, they have to rush home to ensure they're ok/childcare is working out/are being picked up and at the same time they have to be rushing back to the hospital to help out the wife. Stressful and tiring after a lost night's sleep.

Moreoften than not they only have a few days off work (maybe a week) and during the daytime they look after the other kids to allow mum to look after babs.

Then they get back to work (yes, for a break) but are rushing home to help out when they're home. Unless you're living in a mansion they will be disturbed by babs waking in the night as well plus possibly other small kids in the night.

I'm all for getting as much help as possible from menfolk but you must admit it's a tiring time for everyone.

I'm not saying it's not a easy time for the men. I'm just saying I don't think an offer to get up 3 nights in a row should be a gift. When the men do go back to work the mum has to do the night feeds along with all the running about with other kids along with recovering for the birth or in my case a c/section.

Seriously, budget to pay for a cleaner once or twice a week, if you don't have one already.

If you're on a budget, book her in to get her hair done in her favourite hairdressers within a week of her getting out of hospital. Shouldn't last more than 2 hours and she will feel like a million dollars.

WHATEVER you do, don't even consider throwing a family party!

Organise somebody to take the kids while you take her away for the weekend (or even overnight). She'll appreciate it.

If you don't have one already, schedule a cleaner to give the place the once-over on a regular basis.

Do some batch cooking so there will always be prepared food in the freezer.

Give each child quality time with each parent to help with bonding and prevent problems occurring with the older child

Take the kids while she goes shopping/out with the girls/to a show/whatever - I think the best thing is to give her a break to lessen the burden of the extra work.

Back