24hr petrol station "back in 15mins" 30 mins later no show! Claim consequential loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintstephen

On the 28th Feb I had to get a flight in Dublin airport early 6.15am in the morning.

Going to bed I realised I needed petrol but then thought of the 24hr Topaz station on the outskirts of town. No problem, except when I got there it had a sign on the window "back in 15mins" 30 mins later no show, missed my flight and had to book a flight later that day €260.

I have proof of all flights, and I'm sure cctv at the garage.

It was only when I was telling somebody about this they said that I should see if I could claim off the 24hr station.

any advice welcome

Re: 24hr petrol station

I don't think you have a leg to stand on with the garage in all honestly you can't hold them responsible for your missed flight.

Thanks for the reply..
If they advertise a that they are a 24hr service station, should they not be open 24hrs.
Otherwise I would have made sure I had enough petrol.

i'd say it was your own responsibility to make sure you had petrol to get to the airport.

what if the petrol station had been getting a delivery at the time you got there and you couldn't get petrol until they finished the delivery?

if there was a power cut?

i don't know, maybe there's some precedent out there but i'd be surprised..

good luck anyhow. maybe they'll give you a voucher or something for the inconvenience. :)

On the 28th Feb I had to get a flight in Dublin airport early 6.15am in the morning, going to bed I realised I needed petrol but then thought of the 24hr Topaz station on the outskirts of town... no problem, except when I got there it had a sign on the window "back in 15mins" 30 mins later no show, missed my flight and had to book a flight later that day €260.
I have proof of all flights, and I'm sure cctv at the garage.
It was only when I was telling somebody about this they said that I should see if I could claim off the 24hr station.
any advice welcome

my wife would have nagged with "dont trust that station to be open in the morning or you could regret it" - she's usually right!

fair enough, probably no chance then, it was a real sickner, thanks all for taking the time to reply.:)

Tesco Petrol station in Maynooth have big signs saying they are open 24hrs, but they are not. This changed just before christmas & they havent changed the signs yet. My mate went there recently at 4 in the morning without knowing this & had to leave the car in the car park as he was totally out of fuel. I raised this issue to the sales assistant & he just told me new signs have been ordered.

I have never sued anyone in my life, I hadn't thought about even bringing a complaint until I spoke to someone about it.
The fact is the garage advertises that it is 24hr, because it wasn't open I missed my flight.
I realise I probably should have made sure I had filled up the evening before, just thought I would get the opinions of AAM members.
The general opinion is that it was my own fault, fair enough, thanks again for the replys

Why not call the consumers association or the advertising standards authority .
If the station has signs , stating that it is open 24 hours and in fact it is not open 24 hours ,is this not misleading advertising ?

Even if it IS misleading advertising, do you think this means the station must assume liability for any consequence of any customer running out of petrol?

Maybe there was an emergency? Maybe the place was being robbed! If you need to get somewhere urgently make sure you buy petrol in advance.

Why not call the consumers association or the advertising standards authority .
If the station has signs , stating that it is open 24 hours and in fact it is not open 24 hours ,is this not misleading advertising ?

It also raises the question, why do 24 hour places have locks on their doors?

You could have taken a taxi. that would have been less that E260 (a bit less anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back