2011 Census results

Page 40, biggest lie ever.

"Can you speak Irish?"

Can't believe 1.77million people said YES. Country full of liars.

Page 40, biggest lie ever.

"Can you speak Irish?"

Can't believe 1.77million people said YES. Country full of liars.

They should put that question and all the options as Gaelige

If you can understand it and tick the option well then fair enough, that will be counted

page 40 states:

Almost 1 in 3, (30.9 per cent) 10 to 19 year olds
answered “no” to the question “Can you speak Irish?”

This a very worrying statistic considering they are suppose to be taught Irish in school.

What's worrying about that statistic -other than it's far higher than the real number of kids that can properly speak irish.?

Surely, everyone knows that the teaching of Irish in school has not resulted in the Irish speaking Irish.

I reckon that many of the 31% of the children,( like the 1.77m in the overall census ) misunderstood the word "speak" for ability to string a few sentences together -an ability they'll soon forget.

The religion question is phrased:
What is your religion, followed by 6 choices, Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland, Islam, Presbyterian, Orthodox, Other - write in your religion - then follows a nice 20 character space in which to write in your religion, and only then, under the space, does it have the choice of No Religion.

Surely theres a better way to phrase that question, and a better way to frame the answers?

While I do agree with you on this point, having talked to CSO workers, I believe the party line was so that they can keep continuity with previous censuses, which makes it easier to show change over time. I find it a rubbish response, but there you go. One person told me she transcribed a form where someone had given their religion as "viking"! :D

Back