2011 Census results

I assumed British people would be the largest foreign group
It's not, 2.7 per cent of the population is Polish, that's a very large figure

And I thought the number would go down with the lack of employment but it's actually gone up since 2006. More here now then during boom times

Laois is the fastest growing county.

The number of children in family units is down from 1.41 to 1.38. I'm surprised it's gone down. We keep hearing about how we are experiencing a baby boom.
More family units but smaller families (1 or 2 children only)?

Youngest population profile in Galway City

No suprise, Galway isn't that big at all and students are a very large percentage of the population

But then it's a bit misleading, most of the students are from Galway but a lot of them are from surrounding counties

Cork and Limerick has two third level institutes also but those are larger cities so students don't change the profile so much

If you did the census in July instead of April the number for Galway would be different

Ok, not an important stat at all

Bulgarian and Romanian citizens were given access to Ireland at the same time
I don't know the exact immigration rules but both countries were updated at the same time.

Romania was the fastest growing group of immigrants
Bulgaria does not feature at all

Two neighboring countries but completely different results

The foreign group with the best English language skills in Ireland are the Scandinavians

Having worked with a few, they have better English then I do :D

Indeed'an they do be speaking more clearly then I do be, sure that does be the way I do be doing it ;)

Its because our welfare system is far more generous than theirs. Its betterment to simply come and live here with no job than be in Poland in the same situation.

More urban mythery!

The fact that most of them had jobs and paid their PRSI entitling them to JSB doesn't register on your radar at all? They can't come here and just sign on for JSA straight away.

More urban mythery!

The fact that most of them had jobs and paid their PRSI entitling them to JSB doesn't register on your radar at all? They can't come here and just sign on for JSA straight away.

And even with a growing population that is living longer leading to a pretty serious and imminent pension crises, most comments are about specific immigrants into the country and the assumption that they're here for welfare.

More urban mythery!

Oh I wasnt referring to JSA/JSB at all actually. I was more thinking about social supports like rent allowance, child benefit etc.. There is more support from the state here, end of.

Oh I wasnt referring to JSA/JSB at all actually. I was more thinking about social supports like rent allowance, child benefit etc.. There is more support from the state here, end of.

And you're going to provide proof as to how Polish people can claim these without showing habitual residence? Thought not. You might want to change your user name.

And you're going to provide proof as to how Polish people can claim these without showing habitual residence? Thought not. You might want to change your user name.

I certainly will if you can show me where I claimed Polish people can claim these without showing habitual residence.

Dont make up things that I said.

Its because our welfare system is far more generous than theirs. Its betterment to simply come and live here with no job than be in Poland in the same situation.

I certainly will if you can show me where I claimed Polish people can claim these without showing habitual residence.

Dont make up things that I said.

Any reasonable person would take from the first quote above that the use of the words in bold would imply what I said.

The number of Chinese has fallen by a few hundred (-2.4%) down to 10.8k!!!!!!

Now if anyone believes there's only 10.8k chinese in Ireland, they must also believe in the tooth fairy! Me thinks there's an awful lot more immigrants in the country than this census ever had any hope of showing...12% of total population....add a fair few more % to that

The foreign group with the best English language skills in Ireland are the Scandinavians

Having worked with a few, they have better English then I do :D

Indeed'an they do be speaking more clearly then I do be, sure that does be the way I do be doing it ;)

Yes, I remember being pulled up on my ability to speak English by a (rather arrogant) Sweedish person. I had to concede on dis 'n dat but stood my ground on how to pronounce ratio. I pronounced it ray-she-oh, where he pronounced it ray-tee-oh!

Its funny but I dont regard British people as foreign (or Australians, New ZeaLanders or Americans) but its probably a cultural thing.

I was discussing the census with friends last night.

Basically we feel the information cant be trusted. Take the figure for the number of Catholics. Its 84%.

That number includes all the people whose mammy filled out the form for them, all the people under the age of say 12, who are not really qualified to make a call on whether or not they want to be a Catholic, all the people who just baptise the kids to get them into the local school, all the people who havent stepped inside a church in decades or said a prayer in decades but who were baptised so identify as Catholic, and all the people who actually are practising Catholics.

The religion question is phrased:
What is your religion, followed by 6 choices, Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland, Islam, Presbyterian, Orthodox, Other - write in your religion - then follows a nice 20 character space in which to write in your religion, and only then, under the space, does it have the choice of No Religion.

Surely theres a better way to phrase that question, and a better way to frame the answers?

Not wanting to go off on a rant about Catholicism, but it illustrates the flaws in the Census process.

I spoke to a homosexual friend who claims that there are large numbers who wont admit to homosexuality - maybe because mammy fills out the form or someone they live with (perhaps in a house share) would see it.

Im sure other questions would be subject to flaws in the process as well.

Not that its even the Census takers faults, but just the nature of some of the information and the fact that its one form per household, how some questions are phrased etc.... I just dont trust the data.

The number of Chinese has fallen by a few hundred (-2.4%) down to 10.8k!!!!!!

Now if anyone believes there's only 10.8k chinese in Ireland, they must also believe in the tooth fairy! Me thinks there's an awful lot more immigrants in the country than this census ever had any hope of showing...12% of total population....add a fair few more % to that

Based on your location (north Dublin) chances are you encounter greater concentrations of immigrants but that doesn't mean that the same profile exists across the country as a whole. Furthermore immigrants in most countries I have visited are very visible in low-paying but customer-facing jobs, you are simply more likely to encounter them in shops than Irish people. I suspect the opposite, the census count is more accurate than we give it credit for and we are simply not believing the results because we are biased by anecdote.

Based on your location (north Dublin) chances are you encounter greater concentrations of immigrants but that doesn't mean that the same profile exists across the country as a whole. Furthermore immigrants in most countries I have visited are very visible in low-paying but customer-facing jobs, you are simply more likely to encounter them in shops than Irish people. I suspect the opposite, the census count is more accurate than we give it credit for and we are simply not believing the results because we are biased by anecdote.

The Chinese Centre in Dublin celebrating Chinese New Year about 5 years ago, came out with a figure of there being over 30,000 chinese in Ireland. I remember reading it in the paper at the time and thinking that was far more likey to be on the button than the census results.
And that was 5 years ago

Maybe most of that 30,000 are Irish citizens now though

They have been coming over since the fifties

Back