2 more snag questions

lastsaturday

hi folks,

sorry for the long post... i am about to snag my 1st floor duplex, after months of delays, etc.

i went i last friday to speak to the builder about some matters and whilst thre he agreed for me to do a "pre-snag" of the property.

1] One of the faults is a €2 coin sized chip across 2 tiles in the kitchen. it looks like someone dropped a hammer or something onto the polished porcelain tiles..

is this something i can have the builders take care of, or am i wasting my time arguing that it should be their responsibility not to damage tiles once they are down.

i gather it is extremely difficult to replace one or two tiles in the middle of a floor.

2] if i live in an upstairs apartment, can i have the builder re-landscape the entrance around my front door?

the builders have opted to use 12x12 concrete slabs and have failed to level the ground before fitting them. there is a very obvious concave (at least a foots difference) from the sidewalk, ending up at our downstairs neighbours back wall below. i really am concerned about drainage and the fact it looks terrible not being level..

is it my jurisdiction to complain about this, or something all the residents should complain about?

thanks a mill,

Last...

I'd mention everything. If it affects your property or the entrance to your property then list it. I'd definitely want the tile or tiles replaced,without question!

cheers Lauren. that's what i feel too. it'll probably be worth getting a pro in to do the snagging, so i don't get any fob-offs from the builders..

The broken tiles can be replaced without too much difficulty- it's just a nuisance of a small job, he'll get his snagger to do it. It should definitely go on the list. As for the paving- put it on the list also. If enough purchasers complain it will be rectified. These sound like genuine snag items- I work for a large contractor and we see some very spurious snag lists form time to time. Go for it.

Carpenter said:
The broken tiles can be replaced without too much difficulty- it's just a nuisance of a small job, he'll get his snagger to do it. It should definitely go on the list. As for the paving- put it on the list also. If enough purchasers complain it will be rectified. These sound like genuine snag items- I work for a large contractor and we see some very spurious snag lists form time to time. Go for it.

cheers Carpenter. i think i might try and meet the other neighbour who shares the outside entrance area and get them to put it on their list too.

Hi LastSaturday

Both items should definitely be on your snag list and it is perfectly reasonable to expect the builder to fix them.

Kind Regards

Fintan
www.HomeSnag.ie

once you sign up then you'll never get anything done. The drainage one sounds potentially serious so I'd say you should insist on having that sorted out.

If the other one doesn't bother you too much then you could try to use it to your advantage on a quid pro pro basis if you need any extras done (E.g. extra sockets etc). It all depends if the crack bothers you too much.

well, we're off to snag the house tomorrow, so hopefully all the pre-snag stuff will be sorted and there'l be nothing for the builders to do ;)

i have a QS coming out with me too, so i'm sure he'll be able to give some advice.

thanks again for all the replies. i'll let you know how it goes.

Hi

make the management company aware of the path issue as they also are involved in maintaining the complex.

I purchased an apartment off the plans a yr and a half ago. I was asked to have it snagged in Sept 05, When snaging we found the ceiling height to be 2.35m (not the regualtions recomended 2.4) and the overall quality of the carpentery a bloody disgrace. I decided (With some advise from various people) to pull out and sue the builders. Upon doing so I'm told that the regulations 2.4m is merely guidelines, and although its considered good building practice to adhere to these guidelines there is no law that I can sue them on (This never went to court I was told this by the Building athority). Now I have a fair Idea there is major problems with the entire apartment complex (I konw for a fact they had to reduce the ceiling height to 2.35m from the 2.4m on the plans to comply with fire & saftey regs, their excuse was an error in the plans), There is no-one moved into any of the apartments and they are all sold for nearly a year. My solisitor has been very very un helpful and basically told me there is nothing we can do. I've been promised my 60k deposit back for over 2 months now still nothing, I've purchased furniture, electricals etc etc.. HAs anyone any advise for me on this ??

hi folks,

well we snagged the house, with a friend in the business, and found 153 items to be completed... is this a realistic list, or should we have walked out and told them to contact us when the house was really ready fro snagging?

unreal... it took us 4 hours to go around...

Hi Lastsaturday

To say if the house was ready for snagging or not is hard to say without looking at the snag list. Care to share?

Regards

Fintan

www.HomeSnag.ie

If you have been called back by the builders/builders solicitors to snag, you should snag within a reasonable time and submit a snag list - regardless of whether you deem the property to be fit for snagging. This is just to protect yourself legally.
As suggested above, you might want to consider sharing your snaglist (file can be uploaded to [broken link removed] for example) - I did so and got valuable feedback as a result. Furthermore, would be interesting to see how others are fairing and what builders are getting away with - or trying to...

Fintan said:
Hi Bono

For such a large amount of money, I think you should get a second opinion from a different solicitor.
quote]
Theres a reason for that - due to a mess up with the deposit on my part, (2 months late and no reminder or contact from the builder )the builders told me they wouldn't sign the contract unless I was to give them stage payments. Of course no bank or lender would give me stage payments on an apartment. So we came to the agreement that if I was to give them 40k plus the 10% deposit they would sign.

serotoninsid said:
If you have been called back by the builders/builders solicitors to snag, you should snag within a reasonable time and submit a snag list - regardless of whether you deem the property to be fit for snagging. This is just to protect yourself legally.
As suggested above, you might want to consider sharing your snaglist (file can be uploaded to [broken link removed] for example) - I did so and got valuable feedback as a result. Furthermore, would be interesting to see how others are fairing and what builders are getting away with - or trying to...
here we go lads, Fintan, serotoninsid, i have shared it out here..
http://rapidshare.de/files/11210170/snaglist.xls.html

let me know your views on it?

thanks,

Last.

lastsaturday said:
here we go lads, Fintan, serotoninsid, i have shared it out here..
http://rapidshare.de/files/11210170/snaglist.xls.html

let me know your views on it?
thanks,
Last.
Thats a good comprehensive list you have there LS. Whilst theres a lot in it, at least the vast majority of them are not major defects which is good. Sounds like the most important thing to make sure gets taken care of would be the dampness issues. Followed by doors (how did they manage to screw up on so many of them?) - particularly the patio door replacement as this would be an expensive fix if you had to take care of it yourself.
'Re-flash/seal vent in tiles up behind water store (daylight showing)' - is another one I would prioritise.
There doesnt seem to be much on the list that could prevent them from forcing you to pay in full/complete purchase - but if you can get the items that are most important to you sorted out prior to completion, thats half the battle. After that, I imagine it will get tougher to motivate them to come back and sort the smaller stuff - but I suppose its a case of persistence and being a major pain in the whatsits at that stage.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

cheers .

the damp is a big concern of mine, as well as the doors all being scuffed, dented and split. (how do you manage to split a solid wood fire-door down the middle?)

i'm worried they're just going to take a hair dryer to the damp patches and paint over it. is there any recourse, once i have moved in, if the damp patches start showing again?

i'm a bit cautious about moving in with the snaglist not completed. anyone i've spoken to who's done that, has never had the devloper come back and complete the outstanding items. at what point do i give in and accept the house is ready? (they're seriously trying to have us close on Friday!)

regards,

Last

lastsaturday said:
the damp is a big concern of mine, i'm worried they're just going to take a hair dryer to the damp patches and paint over it. is there any recourse, once i have moved in, if the damp patches start showing again?
I have the same problem - they assure me that it just hasnt dried out. I will let it go for the moment - but I think the fact that the problem has been raised at this point will help should I need to pursue them on it later. Furthermore, if water is getting in from the outside, this would be a major structural defect and should be covered by homebond/premier bond.

lastsaturday said:
i'm a bit cautious about moving in with the snaglist not completed. anyone i've spoken to who's done that, has never had the devloper come back and complete the outstanding items. at what point do i give in and accept the house is ready? (they're seriously trying to have us close on Friday!)
Talk to your solicitor on this. From my own recent experience, my understanding is that only a 'major structural defect' could hold up completion. I think that the only thing on your list which could qualify for this would be the dampness - although you would have to be confident that there is a legitimate problem. Otherwise, you could be in breach of contract.
Yeah, getting them to come back by all accounts is not easy. If your prepared to take them to court, then thats going to increase chances of getting stuff put right. I know thats my plan - although I havnt got to that stage yet and hopefully it wont be required when the time comes.

Back