2 more snag questions

lastsaturday said:
hi folks,

well we snagged the house, with a friend in the business, and found 153 items to be completed... is this a realistic list, or should we have walked out and told them to contact us when the house was really ready fro snagging?

unreal... it took us 4 hours to go around...

Interesting snag list and to be honest I have seen a lot worse.

The builder could have that snaglist done in a couple of days if he wanted (depending if he had the doors ins stock).

I personally wouldn't let a builder pressure me to sign before the snaglist is completed, but if you have too, you could have your solicitor get it added to your contract?

Regards

Fintan

www.HomeSnag.ie

well, the builders have suggested they'll be finished by Thursday afternoon. i am hoping that they have completed everything and haven't just taken a hair dryer to the damp patches.

thanks again for all the advice lads, and i'll let you know what the outcome is.

regards,
Last.

Fintan said:
I personally wouldn't let a builder pressure me to sign before the snaglist is completed, but if you have too, you could have your solicitor get it added to your contract?

Regards

Fintan

www.HomeSnag.ie

As far as I know you cant get a snag list entered into a contract. When I was buying I signed the contract and handed over the deposit within 21 days of giving them the booking deposit. This is the contract of sale and cannot be edited after it has been signed. When house was ready I snagged it and was told that I would have to close the sale of the house within 14 days. I waited until all but two items on the snag were fixed as solicitor said that I could not compell builder to do a snag list as they have no basis in law.

One idea is to ask around and see how other buyers got on with the builder. Mine was very good and came back to fix another few items that i noticed after the snag was done if you dont get good reports hold back on signing

homerjay said:
As far as I know you cant get a snag list entered into a contract.
Buyer closed subject to snags being completed in instance.

My understanding is that defects can be brought to the attention of the builder up to 1 year from the completion date. That is the case right?

<quote>Re: Builder charging interest while snags remain outstanding?
I don't know how far you want to push the builder but I know of someone that threatened to picket all the other show houses until outstanding snags were complete.

Seemingly the builder turned up the next day to resolve the snags!! <end quote>

i like wiggles approach to completing a snaglist.. Ha-Ha, might try that myself!

homerjay said:
As far as I know you cant get a snag list entered into a contract. When I was buying I signed the contract and handed over the deposit within 21 days of giving them the booking deposit.

Im very sure you can, it's an addition to the sales contract any decent solicitor can sort it out for you.

Regards

Fintan
www.HomeSnag.ie

hi folks,

good news. i was down on site today and in the words of mary o'rourke, "the builders worked like..." and have actually completed most of the snaglist. ther are only about 10 work items and 15 cleaning items they have yet to finish. i have agreed with the builder to complete these outstandig tasks and i'll go back on tuesday to sign off and hopefully close the deal!

thanks to all the posters for their advice and help on getting through this much appreciated!

regards,

Last.

serotoninsid said:
Well done LS. What was the story on the dampness?

well, the damp between the WC and the lounge was down to them plumbing the toilet the evening before, and making a bit of a balls up. the damp on the two window walls upstairs was on the side where the wind blows the rain in. (apparently the painters left the windows open overnight and it rained).. i did bring this up with the site manager though and said i'd be making a nuicance of myself, if the paint started lifting again..

we can only hope and pray. i should be checking the remaining items off the list tomorrow morning, so hopefully i'll be handing a few cheques over in the PM!

Back