2.7% p.a with GS

Fair enough.
A higher return is available just buying irish government bonds, with the capital gain element tax free.

The people making most money on the product you linked are the product producer and the broker.
The returns are most likely subject to income tax rather than DIRT.
ok ..thanks for another alternative ....what would the next step be here .how do you invest in Irish bonds?

Ah, I missed that it'll be a listed instrument. Yes, more likely regulatory than creating an entire product for the 1 customer that would prefer income tax to DIRT.

is there a conclusion on the tax treatment of this product?
does the euro index create any real advantage or disadvantage?

is there a conclusion on the tax treatment of this product?
The brochure suggests it's income tax.

does the euro index create any real advantage or disadvantage?
No. It just makes it look more sophisticated than it is, and harder to understand.

ok ..thanks for another alternative ....what would the next step be here .how do you invest in Irish bonds?
Through a stockbroker. There's a long thread on it here:

Thread 'Irish Government Bonds for the retail punter' https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/irish-government-bonds-for-the-retail-punter.230776/

Yep, we can help you with that too

Marc Westlake CFP, TEP, APFS, QFA, EFP
Chartered, Certified and European Financial Planner
Registered Trust & Estate Practitioner
Everlake

Last edited:
.... besides opportunity risk (i'm still considering the other options given here) ...what's the overal risk on this product

You can get 4.09% gross with daily liquidity so you would have to believe that interest rates are about to plummet to think that locking away for 2 years at 2.7% makes sense

Depends what you mean by secure.

Half a trillion dollar fund manager. UCITs regulated fund. Daily priced. Average credit quality A. Duration 0.57 years. Euro hedged.

So not a high risk investment by any stretch of the imagination.

Not directly comparable to a structured product but if I was getting less liquidity all things being equal I’d expect a higher interest rate

It really depends on what you are actually trying to achieve

Last edited:
you mentioned the UCITS fund in previous post ...how secure is it vs what's on offer here?
http://www.brokersolutions.ie/2017/...r-100-Capital-Secure-Income-Bond-Brochure.pdf

Depends what you mean by secure.

Half a trillion dollar fund manager. UCITs regulated fund. Daily priced. Average credit quality A. Duration 0.57 years. Euro hedged.

So not a high risk investment by any stretch of the imagination.

Not directly comparable to a structured product but if I was getting less liquidity all things being equal I’d expect a higher interest rate

It really depends on what you are actually trying to achieve

as a layman in these matters ..I case it comes down to what's the worse that can happen with this type of UCITs regulated fund?
as in ...is there a scenario I don't get my capital back or what recourse do I have if there's an issue?

as a layman in these matters ..I case it comes down to what's the worse that can happen with this type of UCITs regulated fund?
as in ...is there a scenario I don't get my capital back or what recourse do I have if there's an issue?
As with most equity based investments there is no full or partial capital guarantee.

Back