1Gb memory card

paul5 said:
Does anbody have any opinions on the 1gb SD Sandisk Ultra II for £23.99? What am I paying the extra for?
Increased [broken link removed] if your device can exploit them.

Update: just checked the 7DayShop site and both the SanDisk "regular" and Ultra II cards seem to have the same read/write speeds!
Am I just as well off with the unbranded for £10.99 or should I go for the £15.49 or the £23.99 one?
Depends on the application/device but in general I would go for the cheapest one.

ClubMan said:
just checked the 7DayShop site and both the SanDisk "regular" and Ultra II cards seem to have the same read/write speeds!
Depends on the application/device but in general I would go for the cheapest one.

That's interesting. I wonder if the info for the standard card is correct. Even on [broken link removed] there's nothing about the speed of the standard card. I've dropped them an e-mail. I see if I hear anything back.

Judging by [broken link removed] it may be that the info on 7DayShop is inaccurate for the standard card and that these are 20x (as per the link I posted above) while the Ultra cards are 60x. Whether or not the speed difference is significant for your application/device depends on several factors. Again the link posted above should help you decide.

I just received my 1 Gb unbranded card today total price including shipping from 7dayshop =22Euro.I can now take 624 Pictures on my 5Mp camera!Great value

Tying to ascertain whether there will be an appreciable difference isn't easy either. I have a Canon IXUS 55. The only definite benefit I could find is for continuous shooting: [broken link removed]

Approx. 2.1 images per second using a higher speed card / no figures for using a slower speed card.

Found a good plain english explanation of [broken link removed]s - again on eBay.

The SanDisk SB Ultra II plus USB looks like it might be handy as it can be plugged into a USB port. The 512MB version is a handy price from 7dayshop. There is a 1GB version of this card also but 7dayshop don't seem to carry it at the moment. That said I have seen a few reports of the card getting stuck in Canon cameras.

Personally I'd be more inclined to go with a standalone USB card reader rather than more expensive SD Cards with built in USB connectivity.

Got a rreply from Sandisk Technical Support on the speed of their standard SD card. They said "The speed of SD card is up to 2.5mb/s read and write". I thought they would come back and say at least 3.0 mb/sec.

I guess I like the SD USB more as a very small USB key rather than SD memory. I like the idea of maybe installing Ubuntu on a tiny 1GB USB key.

Got a rreply from Sandisk Technical Support on the speed of their standard SD card. They said "The speed of SD card is up to 2.5mb/s read and write". I thought they would come back and say at least 3.0 mb/sec.
Maybe they mean 2.5Mbytes which would be 20Mbits or 133x speed? However I would not expect the standard card to be that fast whatever about their Ultra or Extreme cards. Some articles are not that clear when MB/Mb/mb etc. mean bits or bytes even thought the convention is normally B = Bytes and b = bits.

I guess I like the SD USB more as a very small USB key rather than SD memory. I like the idea of maybe installing Ubuntu on a tiny 1GB USB key.
Fair enough - I just don't like the c. doubled price per MB that the USB attachment seems to imply.

Back