€800 tax free payment to offer property for Ukrainians.

I very much doubt there are many people with empty properties who will jump at this when they can get market rates. Where would you stand if you wanted the property back in a years time ?
They might get some rooms from this scheme but the rent a room scheme already allows you to earn €14k a year tax free. So not much incentive when you could end up with someone not leaving for work during the day running up your heat and electricity bills unless the government is going to give subsidies for utility bills on top.

Clubman, your link above does not cover the new scheme. You need to check this one:

The link that I posted was updated 26th October 2022.

I very much doubt there are many people with empty properties who will jump at this when they can get market rates. Where would you stand if you wanted the property back in a years time ?
They might get some rooms from this scheme but the rent a room scheme already allows you to earn €14k a year tax free. So not much incentive when you could end up with someone not leaving for work during the day running up your heat and electricity bills unless the government is going to give subsidies for utility bills on top.
It really is for altruistic reasons and not for profit. On the application form for the new scheme it suggests the guest moving into the ‘own door’ accommodation should cover the cost of utilities themselves. Also it is providing a template for a six month agreement. This is not for everyone. The real elephant in the room is the 12,000 people who have been sharing their hosts homes. The hosts have reached a level of fatigue after nine months. Most people signed up for six.

I very much doubt there are many people with empty properties who will jump at this when they can get market rates.
There are lots of rental properties outside the cities where market rates are less than €1000 before tax. The Rent a Room scheme isn't relevant if you're not resident in the property.

Where would you stand if you wanted the property back in a years time ?

It's being framed as a licence agreement even though it has all the features of a tenancy so it should be easier to move the 'beneficiary' on than it would be a tenant, once the licence period is over.

So not much incentive when you could end up with someone not leaving for work during the day running up your heat and electricity bills unless the government is going to give subsidies for utility bills on top.

From the website:

Who pays utility bills for the property?

You should agree this with the beneficiary at the outset of the arrangement. It is reasonable that the beneficiary would pay or contribute to the bills.

Holiday homes they're looking for, money is tax free. Nice dosh, but who pays for upkeep, heat, power, insurance, property tax, etc, and what happens if things go belly up?
This is what we’re worried about particularly when you don’t live nearby also.

This is what we’re worried about particularly when you don’t live nearby also.
I'd have to agree with you, unless it's explained properly with regards to cost it'll be another false start in trying to house the unfortunate people who need it.

It’s a recipe for disaster. How would you evict a family if you wanted to sell for instance ? The government is grasping at straws and undermining their own heavy handed RTB and tax treatment of landlords. If a tenancy exists then they should own up instead of trying to water it down.

I can build a 40sqm extension to my house without needing planning permission and just following a few regulations. But as it must be attached to my property anyone staying in any room in the extension would be in my house.

Now, if they allowed me put a self contained modular home of 40sq m on my property with a few regulations (such as restrictions on who it can be rented to), I'd probably do that and rent it at a reasonable price to to either my brother in law or a student (via a college accommodation manager) or a Ukranian person.

And with so many large rear gardens in many cities, something like this really should be considered - obviously you could not have 40sqm extension + 40sqm modular home.

And as they would be moveable structures, finance would be easily arranged.

A few rules and regulations would be attached, but It would be a very quick way of getting more rooms added and the tax free recognition payment would make it financially attrractive

This is a good idea. There are lots log cabins used as home offices or playrooms etc. But AFAIK you need planning permission to change use to habitable accommodation. Planning takes time. Neighbours could object etc. Also not many of these buildings are plumbed for toilets and showers. Most would not have kitchens so it would still mean using facilities in the main house. So not ideal for many families.

This seems like the Government's latest attempt to solve the unsolvable.

As a former civil servant, my heart goes out to the unfortunate civil servants in Roderic O'Gorman's Department for Doing the Impossible who must be driven demented by the daily demands on them to find accommodation not only for the hundreds of unfortunate Ukrainian refugees who are turning up every day, but also for the self-professed "Asylum Seekers" who are adding to the nightmare.

Today's Irish Examiner provides some information on their efforts to date - and the costs involved: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-41015345.html

I can build a 40sqm extension to my house without needing planning permission and just following a few regulations. But as it must be attached to my property anyone staying in any room in the extension would be in my house.

Now, if they allowed me put a self contained modular home of 40sq m on my property with a few regulations (such as restrictions on who it can be rented to), I'd probably do that and rent it at a reasonable price to to either my brother in law or a student (via a college accommodation manager) or a Ukranian person.

And with so many large rear gardens in many cities, something like this really should be considered - obviously you could not have 40sqm extension + 40sqm modular home.

And as they would be moveable structures, finance would be easily arranged.

A few rules and regulations would be attached, but It would be a very quick way of getting more rooms added and the tax free recognition payment would make it financially attrractive
You might be surprised at how many of those are in use as rented places right now and have been for quite a while. Families have been doing this also for years.

You might be surprised at how many of those are in use as rented places right now and have been for quite a while. Families have been doing this also for years.
This is a good idea. There are lots log cabins used as home offices or playrooms etc. But AFAIK you need planning permission to change use to habitable accommodation. Planning takes time. Neighbours could object etc. Also not many of these buildings are plumbed for toilets and showers. Most would not have kitchens so it would still mean using facilities in the main house. So not ideal for many families.

Yes, plenty are in use especially in rural areas but they could have issues if someone made a complaint.

Planning could easily be sorted emergency legislation or via a set of conditions and even "approved" designs from manufacturers. Easy to have a kitchenette and shower/toilet in these.

I did create a proposal before for a councillor and it had a 5 year renewable licence proposed and could only be rented to a family member including 1st line family members (cousins, aunts uncles) and students (but only via an approved student body) and they would have an entitlement to use laundry facilities of the main house.

I must dig it out again and send it on.

If you think of the number of large gardens in city areas where houses that once had 5/6/7/8 occupants, now with just one or two, its an easy addition that could be made.

I did create a proposal before for a councillor and it had a 5 year renewable licence proposed and could only be rented to a family member including 1st line family members (cousins, aunts uncles) and students (but only via an approved student body) and they would have an entitlement to use laundry facilities of the main house.
Ah, sure everyone in Ireland is related so anyone can stay in them. As for payment? Anyone that thinks cash is in the past is actually living in cuckoo land. Cash is king.:)

who pays the ESB bill - Refugees won't have a lot of money unless they are working.

Last edited:
who pays the ESB bill - landlord or tenant.

No landlord or tenant involved, just a property owner and beneficiary! Wouldn't want to confuse Revenue or the RTB!

From the website:

Who pays utility bills for the property?

You should agree this with the beneficiary at the outset of the arrangement. It is reasonable that the beneficiary would pay or contribute to the bills.

Ukrainians have social welfare entitlements so should be able to pay.

Back