€800 tax free payment to offer property for Ukrainians.

Bill90.

The way the first paragraph is worded.

Rent is not payable as you are offering the property but a tax-free payment of €800 per month will be made.

I wonder how Revenue would treat me if I was to offer my property to someone who might make a tax free payment every month .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125_170239_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125_170239_Chrome.jpg
    867.3 KB · Views: 143
Not really sure what the point of this thread is.
Social Welfare already operate many payment schemes that are tax free and discounted for other purposes.
This isn't unique.

Is this payment being given to house Ukranian people in ones own home, or in a rental property?

Not really sure what the point of this thread is.
Social Welfare already operate many payment schemes that are tax free and discounted for other purposes.
This isn't unique.
I'm saying can someone "offer" a house to anyone they want to and not receive "rent" but a payment or are they just bending the rules to suit themselves.

At €800 tax free, wouldn't that mean any place renting for less than €1600 a month is better off with this tax free payment?
Yep that's correct. I've an apartment coming up that would rent for 1000 a month so I could get 800 tax free for it but it doesn't sit well with me when there's literally 0 properties to rent in my town with a population of 6000 people and I know a lot of them are looking for somewhere to live.

That link looks like €400 a month. Is this being increased to 800 euros? Do you have to live near the property or could a holiday home in a remote part of Ireland be used?
Yes it was increased to 800 today. You don't have to live near it. Holiday homes are accepted.

This is going to be difficult for lots holiday home owners who are not landlords or have a landlord mine set. So a nice family moves into your holiday home for 6 months and they are settled into school and general environment. How are you going to ask them to leave when by next year the only accommodation that will available will be tents. Will the neighbours appreciate you turfing out a family onto the street so you can get your holiday home back for a couple of weekends.

This is so typical of the Irish government. They have gone out of their way to make PRTB ( or is it RTB now) bureaucracy, forms, jargon, registration process, rent calculators, penalties etc so off putting to potential landlords. They tell landlords they can only increase rent by 2% when inflation is many times that even though landlords have put their life savings into a property to try to get a profit after 50% + tax, PRSI, USC and a mortgage. Then they come along and throw the prtb rule book and income tax out the window for certain tenants. What an utter mess. What happened to equality ? What happened to the definition of a tenancy ?

It's a huge blow to anybody looking to rent a property for less than €1,600 pm. I would expect most landlords with a vacancy to go for this scheme in preference. Possibility of resetting rent in 2 years if situation persists?

Then they come along and throw the prtb rule book and income tax out the window for certain tenants.
Tenants? I think you mean "refugees"?

And not all Ukrainian refugees are using this scheme to obtain accommodation. I know of several who are paying their way like other renters.

At €800 tax free, wouldn't that mean any place renting for less than €1600 a month is better off with this tax free payment?
Not necessarily. The €800 per household is paid to help defray the costs involved in hosting one or more Ukrainian refugees and will most likely be used to pay for or at least subsidise the (additional) household costs involved. So this isn't a reasonable comparison.

Clubman, your link above does not cover the new scheme. You need to check this one:

Back