Key Post: Passport issues

L

liverlips

What is the story with the passport express service at the moment my boyfriend is waiting 21 working days still no sign of it, not 10 working days as they advertise. He phoned yesterday and they said it is not ready for dispatching yet he is going away on wednesday. What are people doing paying the extra to get this service and then it does not come, he will probably have to go in now next week and queue for it.

Title changed from all capitals by ClubMan.

Re: PASSPORT EXPRESS POST

This sounds totally unacceptable and strange.

When I used the service about a year ago and did not receive the passport back within the 10 days I called them and they agreed to send it out the next day.

As this is not a busy time of the year they should be able to meet their quoted deadline. Have you asked to speak to supervisor/manager and sought explanation?

I must agree with Sue. I have used the system on a number of occasions and have always been satisfied. The Government should adopt the same rules as they are going to employ for the Airline Companies . Basically all delays should be compensated. This lapse could have totally ruined an expensive holiday or an important business meeting. I would have no hesitation ringing the ombudsman or lambasting the supervisor in the express section of the passport office. Express ? You could have crawled on your hands and knees from Dingle and still be there quicker. :mad

PASSPORT EXPRESS POST

They do claim a 10 day turn around.

Now I'm not sure if that means 10 days or 10 working days.

I sent in an application on 9th Feb so if its 10 days then to deliver on their promise I should receive passports by 19th lets say Mon 21 st?

I am in the process of doing this and I am advised that it will take 11 working days.

Marion :hat

passport

I got mine last week in just under the 10 working day thing. Something very strange yours hasn't come yet!!

passport express

He phoned them yesterday they said it is gone out in the post should get it monday he better as is flying on wednesday monring

Re: passport express

An Post say its 10 working days from when they Passport office receive it. So if you post it on say a Friday the Passport office wont get it until Monday and you will get it back 14 days later (10 working days) if you post it on a Saturday then the passport office wont get it until a Tuesday. Sumatra sent his in on 9th which means passport office received it on 10th which means he should have it on 24th, next Thursday. Read the form, its says 10 WORKING days and if not back by then complain as my friend LA advocates.

passport

I hand delivered this passport over the counter at the post office on the 27th of Jan , the passport office say it will arrive in Mondays post ie monday the 22nd of Feb , lets hope it arrives but thats some turn around for an post , they must be going for a world record of passprt delivery !!!, i will be looking for my passport express fee back of course.
what was there excuss , eh they changed over to a new system ?
I wouldnt mind but it cost me 82 euro which is a rip off !!

passport

i got my passport today hurray !! Chicago on Wed here we go

Passport express

Passports arrived today. 11 working days - no complaints.

Re: Passport express

I sent 2 applications by passport Express on the 7th February.
Rang today and spent an hour trying to get through. Eventually got through and spent 20 minutes in a queue waiting to talk to an operator. There seems to have been a problem in the passport office with a machine that produces the passports. The guy i spoke to was extremely helpful, but I got the impression that the place has a backlog due to the machine problem. Yet, he said that they received 1 of the applications on the 20th (yes 20th!).The other was due to be sent out today. Hopefully will get them early next week. In my case, it definitely is not an express service and I hope to get the express fee returned.

ch: if you still have your receipt why dont you go into the An Post website and check out the date of delivery yourself. If someone admits to me that they are having problems with a machine I doubt I would believe that it took 13 days to get a passport envelope to them.

Just got an email from the Passport office apologising for the delay on the 2 passport applications. I am getting a full refund of both the passport express fee and the passport fee.

Some other posts

One Question
Travelling to US

Can anyone advise is a visa or what format of passport is required for travelling to states now

Thanks

ajapale
Re: Travelling to US

Since October 26 2004 you require a machine readable passport for travel to the us.

[broken link removed]
U.S. Visa Waiver Travel Requires Machine-Readable Passport
U.S. Ambassador James Kenny announces new measures affecting travelers to the United States from Ireland. Starting October 26, 2004, travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must have a machine-readable passport. Children, including infants, who are endorsed on a parent’s passport must have an individual machine readable passport. Holders of passports that are not machine-readable will need to apply for a visa, even if they would otherwise be eligible for the travel under the Visa Waiver Program.

Most Irish passports, with the exception of those that are handwritten, are machine-readable. If a traveler has any doubt about whether a passport qualifies as machine-readable, he or she should check with the passport issuing authority for that country.

Ireland is one of the 27 countries currently in the Visa Waiver Program. Citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries traveling on commercial carriers are permitted to enter the United States for general business or tourist purposes for a maximum of 90 days without needing a visa.

Under the US-VISIT program beginning September 30, 2004 all travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program will have their index fingers scanned and a digital photograph taken before departure at either Dublin or Shannon airport.

According to Ambassador Kenny, these combined measures offer greater security to travelers and make it harder for terrorists and criminals to use forged or stolen passports to evade security measures. “Machine readable passports,” said Amb. Kenny, “are a vital part of making travel to the United States safer for everyone. For Irish citizens in particular, and anyone traveling to the U.S. via Ireland’s two international airports, such passports and the pre-clearance process done here in Ireland will make travel safer and more convenient. Upon landing in the U.S., pre-cleared travelers can get out of the airport more quickly to enjoy their visit.”

The US-VISIT program is a U.S. Department of Homeland Security program that enhances our country’s entry and exit system, it enables the United States to effectively verify the identity of incoming visitors and confirm compliance with visa and immigration policies. US-VISIT is helping us demonstrate that we remain a welcoming nation and that we can keep America’s doors open and our nation secure.
ajapale

Dearg Doom
Frequent poster
Re: Travelling to USA

you require a machine readable passport for travel to the us
You require a machine readable passport to travel to the us under the Visa Waiver Program. You can still travel to the US with a non-machine readable passport, but you must get a visa from the US embassy to do so.

witchymand
Question about going to USA with current passport?

Afriend of mine has a british passport, and her husband has an irish passport with their child named on his passport.
They were hoping to go to New york for a few days next month, but think that their passports might NOT be accepted.
Does anyone have any info on 1). whether it makes a difference whether you have a british or irish passport going into america, 2). their child is only named on the fathers passport but there is no photo id of the child on the passport.
All advice appreciated
Many thanks

AidanC
To USA

1) Children now need their own passports to go the US.

2) UK or Irish passport shouldn't matter. But you need a machine readable passport regardless...i.e. not a handwritten/emergency passport or issued via an Irish embassy abroad

rainyday
Re: To USA

I have heard of cases where husband or wife travelling on their own with children had difficulties - Authorities were looking for written permission from the absent parent for the children to travel. Not sure if this could be an issue in this case.

Ash
Using passport nearing expiry

Thinking of flying to Spain from Dublin next February. My current passport expires in June 2005.
I've heard about difficulties being allowed board aircraft with passports nearing expiry.
Can anyone clarify the situation for me?
If I have to change my passport now surely that makes it a 9 year and some months document instead of a ten year one?

fatherdougalmaguire
Very frequent poster
Re: Using passport nearing expiry

I think the US looks for a valid passport which runs up to 6 months after your return date. I don't think it's as bad for somewhere like Spain. Worst comes to the worst, use An Post's Passport Express service for a quick enough turn around or spend the day in Molesworth Street.

Some other posts

Fred
Passport

Anyone know how long must there be left to run on a passport to visit the US?
I've heard of some people being refused admission to some countries cos their passport only had 3 months left on it.

rainyday
Re: Passport

I've heard of the groom on a stag party being refused permission to fly to Prague for having less than 6 months to run on his Passport.

ajapale
Frequent poster

Joe Duffy covered this topic very comprehensively at the end of April.

Im not sure of the situation in the US but the yanks are very very jumpy at present and I would take no chances.

The situation in Prague has changed since they joined the EU on May 1st. If they refuse you entry on production of a valid EU passport then they are breaking EU rules.
ajapale

Unregistered User

> If they refuse you entry on production of a valid EU passport then they are breaking EU rules.

Are you sure about that? Ireland is not a signatory to the Schengen Agreement which means that Irish citizens need a passport to enter most other EU (and EEA and other European?) countries. I'm not sure of the status of the new EU accession states in relation to the Schengen Agreement though.

ajapale
Frequent poster

Yes Im certain. Joe Duffy had an Italian lady on from the commission (Angela Something) I think. She stated that this was the case. EU law states that all you need is a valid EU passport. I'll see if I can find the interview. He also had a man on from the Greek embassy who confirmed her story in the case of Greece. Joe showed his ignorance by asking him about Cyprus. Im almost sure he had a guy on from the Italian embassy who described teh debate as a storm in a teacup and some over zelaous border guards.

There was however one issue unresolved - this was in the case where the carrier refused to carry someone with a passport which expired within 6 month of the return date. I dont think Joe Duffy got a response from Aer Lingus or any other carrier. I think some carriers may have a unilateraly imposted ban included in their T&C's resctricting travel to those with passports valid for a period after their return. They have done this to protect themselves from fines.

from comhairle:
As a citizen of a Member State of the European Union, you have the right to enter any other EU country without having to comply with special formalities. All you need is a valid passport or identity card. We dont have identity cards so this doesnt apply to us or the British.

from the EU Commission

TRAVEL WITHIN AN ENLARGED EUROPEAN UNION
23 April 2004 All Union citizens have the right to enter and reside in the territory of any other Member State of the Union for a period of up to three months simply by presenting a valid passport or national identity card: no other formality is required. Member States cannot therefore set additional conditions concerning the minimum validity of duration of the identity card or passport.
If a person intends to reside for a period exceeding three months, a residence permit must be obtained. The conditions for granting a residence permit depend on the status of the citizen (employed or self-employed person, student, retired or inactive person).

After the 1st of May 2004, citizens of the 10 acceding Member States will enjoy the same rights of free movement within the EU as citizens of current Member States. This obviously also applies to nationals of current Member States wishing to travel to and reside in the territory of the new Member States.

You can also consult the website of DG Justice and Home Affairs:

[broken link removed]
ajapale

mickeyg
Passport

I am going on holiday to Cyprus in June and my passport expires in October so to be on the safe side I guess I had better renew my passport. Can I do so online or where might I get info?

m

Unregistered User
Passport

> Yes Im certain. Joe Duffy had an Italian lady on from the commission (Angela Something) I think. She stated that this was the case. EU law states that all you need is a valid EU passport.

Sorry - I thought that you were saying that NO passport was strictly required. I see that you specifically said a VALID passport (regardless of validity period remaining) is all that's required. My mistake!

stobear
Frequent poster

Not sure you can apply online, but this site should answer your questions.
[broken link removed]

Fred
passport

Just posting the info.
Eventually got through to a 1580 US embassy line and was told my passport only needs to be valid for the length of my stay...not for 3 or 6 months longer.
Asked was he 100 per cent on this and was told yes so will let you all know if I get turned back at the door...

ajapale
Frequent poster
US visit

Hi Fred,

Good luck in the ol US of A. Its a really great country and there are plenty of likeable Americans among the 200million inhabitants.

A word of advice on Immigration.

Play straight and tell the absolute truth with these guys. I think they have been taken over by the office of homeland security. Many practices followed in the past no longer hold true. I heard a story of a freelance journalist who visits the US regularily and always went on a visitors visa being stopped and when they discovered he was a journalists spend a night or two in a detention centre and was deported.

When your on the plane you have to fill out a green waiver form. Make sure you bring a felt pen (not a biro, these leak) and fill it in carefully and make it legiable. Some of this form is not intuitative and you end up filling a section "for official use only" if your not carefull. Remember you will be tiered and jet lagged after the journey so give yourself plenty of time. Make sure you have the full name and address of your contacts in the US and that you have a reason for your journey.

I havent been in the US in a number of years so thing might have changed since then.

Good Luck
ajapale

Unregistered User
US visit

> Some of this form is not intuitative and you end up filling a section "for official use only" if your not careful.

Good point! I did just this myself last visit and the immigration officer was a bit pissed off but thankfully didn't arrest me for it.

Natchessmen
Re: US visit

Yes things are certianly changing in the US. A friend of mine was clearing immigration at Dublin last week and was reminded that she over stayed her visa 10 YEARS AGO, and was refused entry. So everyone, be careful the rules are not so much changed as being enforced.

In 1992 I was refused entry to US (long story, nothing cynical) so I went to Canada. Best holiday ever!!

Some other posts

coininban1
children and passport

hi apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but taking the kids to paris in feb. and think I heard that they need their own passports now or photo id? Can anyone confirm do we need to get each one a passport for travel thanks or make that merci!!

ClubMan
Administrator
Re: children and passport

You should check out these links:

<!--EZCODE LIST START--><ul><li>[broken link removed]</li><li></li></ul><!--EZCODE LIST END-->

zag
Administrator

Most people recommend getting children their own passport these days. I don't think you can get them included on parents passports any more, or if you can it won't be for long and it almost definitely won't get you into the US or other countries with the new tighter access restrictions.

Having children on a parents passport makes sense sometimes and makes no sense at all when that particular parent can't travel but the other one wants to travel with the kids.

z

coininban1
children and passport

thanks for that. If I am reading it right, they don't need their own yet as they are already on ours already - it applies just to new applications? As we are flying Ryannair, can I presume they don't need then their own photo id at checkin, just that they are on our passports?

ClubMan
Administrator

That's my understanding but I'd double check the Ryanair booking [broken link removed] to avoid any nasty surprises at the airport!

Dr Moriarty
Frequent poster

From the current Ryanair T&C:

Children under 16 years (including infants) travelling with an adult are required to have photo-ID when travelling on flights between European Economic Area (EEA) countries. Acceptable photo-ID for children under 16 is either a valid passport or a valid National Identity Card issued by an EEA country.
Photo-ID for children under 16 years is not required in the following circumstances:
Children travelling with an adult on UK domestic flights and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling.
German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.

I've five kids, so it would cost me a fair few yoyos to get them all individual passports, but I'll have to do it if we ever decide to go Stateside (or anywhere outside the EU)...

Some other posts

podgeandrodge
pet passport

Hi

Anyone got any info on the Pet Passport issue - i heard a lot about cats and dogs, but was wondering how i would get our domestic rabbit over to france!! Got no reply from the government website or Aer Lingus - probably pissing themselves laughing! Also, if you can bring one with you , does it have to go into the hold or can you carry it as hand luggage!

sluice44
Very frequent poster
Re: pet passport

Pets into Ireland might be a good starting point.

Here's another [broken link removed].

Sluice

Unregistered User

For what it's worth OASIS has this to say on the matter:

Bringing your pet outside of Ireland

If you are considering re-locating or moving abroad from Ireland and wish to bring your pet with you, it is important to note that the rules and procedures in place in other countries about importing pets may differ from those in Ireland. For example, to import a pet from Ireland into some countries, your pet may require evidence of a rabies vaccination or health certification from a district veterinary office in Ireland. You should check with the relevant embassy in advance of travel. A full list of foreign embassies in Ireland is available here. Further information is also available from the Department of Agriculture and Food at the address under 'Where to apply'.

Dowee
Very frequent poster

I brought a rabbit to the US and back again about 2 years later. It was all pretty simple, I had to take to a vet to get a cert to say it was disease free, (coming back I had to get a license to import her and keep her in quarantine in the house for 6 months but this may not apply going to France as Ireland is likely to be less of a rabbies risk). Anyway as regards the travelling you need to get a carrier that it can stand up and turn around in, they are pretty strict about this too so be sure and get one big enough, they also need to have food and water. The carrier goes in the cargo hold of the plane and you get charged by weight I think (cost me around €100 to go to the US). You'll need to phone the airline and let them know your plan, it is a relatively easy thing to arrange. Contact the Dept of Agriculture for some more details.

rainyday

Dunno if I'd want to bring my pet bunny to France - They'd probably slice & dice it & serve it up to you with a nice mushroom sauce, some alfafa beans & bottle of Chianti

podgeandrodge
rabbits

Thanks everyone

Awaiting further confirmation from Dept Agriculture, the Pet Passport system only applies to Dogs, Cats and Ferrets!

If I see that on the menu Rainyday I think I'll pass!

sueellen

Podge,

Having had and loved a pet rabbit in the past know exactly where you are comin' from.

BTW wonder would Rainyday like his cat on the menu? :b

Passports

Don't tell anyone I told you but if passport applications are sent thru your local TD, you'll have it in 2 days.

I phoned Immigration in Shannon to question whether a passport needed to be valid 6 months from time of return. They said it did not, it just needed to be valid for date of departure. Was very surprized by this as I used to work for an airline and I always thought it was 6 months, maybe it changed?

Back