You can find your new postcode here

Is there a need for it in a small country like Ireland? We've spent €27m on developing it and it took 10 years (typical of us to spend so much and take so long) and it still has a huge amount of problems.

From The Independent http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ut-irelands-new-postcode-system-31371881.html
  1. Each code that is generated for each address is random, meaning the code for adjacent properties bear no relation to each other.
  2. The Irish Fire and Emergency Services Association have warned the random nature of the codes could “cost lives” as the random design cannot be learned and are not predictable so that emergency services can find localities easily from memory.
  3. Many have warned that an error in relating the code could go unnoticed and send emergency services to the wrong location.
  4. Companies such as FedEx, DHL, UPS, Pallet Express, and BOC Ireland have all publicly declared that they will not use Eircode due to its design. They said that Eircode provides the longitude and latitude of an address but that this has already been available to the postal delivery sector for more than two decades.
  5. Up to 50,000 placements are inaccurate or completely missing from the system because they are in the Irish language.
  6. Eircode does not work with Google Maps.

Got mine, easy to use the site and to remember the code. I didn't have a post code, just county Dublin, now its K.....

I don't understand the optional aspect of it.

Hmm. I get an eircode for my address but the map points to the wrong house. I filled in the contact form to inform them of the error but I get "Error has occurred, please try again later" on submission.

Must try harder.

SBarrett.

I think we do need a code, time will soon tell us if this is the one that suits Ireland.

With similar place names and similar surnames and similar townlands ,it can be difficult to find the correct household.
Can be very frustrating and time consuming to figure out (without local knowledge ) have you got the right house in a townland , the right eg Mc Daids house in a townland that is full of mc daids etc.
I believe Fastway have said its ok, it would really help them if it properly ID,s a place.

Hope it works and if it does ,I expect it will soon be added to Sat Navs.

Even An Post who say this is not needed (more so to hamper their competition) often get post to my home place wrong, as there are a few places in the county with the same townland name.

It's a joke. I just tried to look up my parents address for them. They live in the country. There is absolutely no way of figuring out which house is supposed to be there house. It's an absolute farce. As pointed out above. Typical...it's just like the voting machine scandal....Who decides these things?

..... There is absolutely no way of figuring out which house is supposed to be there house.

I found it very easy to find my postcode. Find the house on the map (you can even view the satellite version) and place the cross hairs over the red dot on the house.

I honestly don't get how you can't find the house on the map.

So far, Thanks to this make-work project, so far I've

1) Had my address changed from Kilkenny to Tipperary
i.e. The Man, 101 An Estate, A Village, County Kilkenny
to The Man, 101 An Estate, A Village, A Tipperary Town, County Tipperary

I informed my motor and house insurers of the changes (they can't cater for post-codes for Irish addresses!) and asked about changes in premiums as a consequence. Motor insurers assured my no extra cost on renewal, however the house insurers were rather more circumspect, saying they'd check with the underwriters on renewal.

2) Tried to change my bank account and credit card and debit card addresses. Needless to say none of the organisations concerned can cater for post-codes on Irish addresses and the bank went so far as to state that no-one had informed them (implied asked their permission) I managed to get the addresses altered but no post-code included.

3) Logged onto a few sites where I buy stuff from time to time and made the changes myself online including adding the post-code (amazon, book depository, etc.)

4) Logged onto Apple and changed the address but again, no facility to enter or store post-code. I zipped off an email and got the standard "no one told me" guff from them. I wrote to the head-chef and bottle-washer so I await developments (Tim Cook, head-chef??) They have an online shop I've bought lots so sort it IF the post-code makes deliveries easier.

5) emailed Shannon about the now incorrect address on my car-registration document and had to send them the document to change my address despite not having moved - see what I mean, a PS project generating more work for the PS boys and girls? I could wait until motor tax renewal time and try to do it online but it may not work. I want to see if the PS asked the PS's permission to change my address and if PS Shannon can store and retrieve post-codes generated and issued by PS Somewhere else

6) Phoned the doc's office to change my address on their systems for scripts etc. The secretary, a pal of mine for a while did the necessary but had no field to store a post-code on any of her systems. I asked about informing the HSE and she was like "Hhhmm, not unless you've taken tranquillisers today and you really MUST make the change." A nod being as good as a wink, I moved on.

7) Logged on to the parcel motel and changed my credit-card details and my address and lo and behold, the accommodated EIRcodes BUT in the wrong format. An EIRcode is formatted "XXX XXXX", three characters space four characters. They only allow seven non blank characters. Good, lads, but not quite Carling.

8) phoned my mobile & broadband provider, Tesco. Two accounts two (different) addresses. "We're an e-billing company and don't issue paper bills so we don't need your address" Well missus you demanded ESB bills, bank statements, driver's licence and other stuff from me when I switched from PAYG to bill-pay, so fix it up now so I can use your utility bills with the correct address issued to me if requested by another corporate. Done eventually but life is too short for this nonsense on the phone.

There are a few places left but that's what I got done yesterday and today.

A few questions.

If as I have discovered the majority of organisation I contacted cannot store my post-code in order to reproduce it on documents or parcels, how can any of the supposed benefits accrue to me or to organisations "serving" me? I've heard reps from courier and haulage companies interviewed during the life of this project and each and every one I've listened to has slated EIRcodes as it doesn't address their key issue - Where is XXX XXXX and how can I get their quickest.

Did the Troika specifically approve the expenditure for this useless nonsense? Who benefits, apart for the excessively highly paid PS's? What were the alternatives and who evaluated them? Answers please, in a plain brown wrapper, to the Denis O'Brien fan-boy club, Leinster House.

Last edited:
No need to bother mathepac .... as you don't need to use it.

Just carry on as before and pretend eircode doesn't exist.

I don't know why people are getting into a flap about eircode ... just don't bother using it (I don't intend to).

Mathepac,

your address does not change. Eircode have said that, the Minster has said that.

You simply add the postcode onto the existing address.

Mathepac,

what seems to have happened in your case, I suspect, is that your "post town" is in a different county than where you live.

This is common.

People living in Riverstown, Co. Sligo, their post comes via Boyle, Co. Roscommon.

Now, I'd say few people in Riverstown village add Boyle to their address as follows:

Riverstown,
Boyle,
Co. Sligo.

But, the Eircode system may do exactly that.

I guess that your village in Kilkenny is served by a "post town" in Tipp.

The 139 routing keys which are the first three characters in the postcode are for each "post town".

... your address does not change. Eircode have said that, the Minster has said that...
My address HAS changed. The document received from EIRcode is addressed to "The Man, 101 An Estate, A Village, A Tipperary Town, County Tipperary". Indisputable fact. If I input the new post code to the EIRcode web-site i get that new address, the old address, which I've used for 8+ years, is no more.

simples mathepac ... ignore the letter and carry on as before.

The whole post code issues is a wasted opportunity .... and 27 million euros down the drain. Another quango rises from the dust.

No need to bother mathepac .... as you don't need to use it.

Just carry on as before and pretend eircode doesn't exist.

I don't know why people are getting into a flap about eircode ... just don't bother using it (I don't intend to).
So why spend all the money, time and effort and issue all these codes and documents to every household and business in the country for nothing? Jobs for the boys. Either the project served some purpose and confers some benefit on the country as a whole or it was as I've already said simply a make-work exercise for the PS, like electronic voting machines, PPARS, the two scrapped projects the HSE ran for years to create a unique patient identifier (ever hear of a PPSN guys?), the judicial enquiries, etc.

Loc8code would be a much better system to use imo and a code can be created for any location in Ireland, not just one with a letter box as with eircode ! Loc8 code also has an app for Android and Iphone that uses the smart phone's internal GPS to create a code for any location - handy if you come across an accident in an isolated spot as I did recently, and you need to give direction to emergency services..

Eircode is listing my address incorrectly too. "Townland, Area, Cavan" instead of "Townland, Area, Co. Cavan"

7) Logged on to the parcel motel and changed my credit-card details and my address and lo and behold, the accommodated EIRcodes BUT in the wrong format. An EIRcode is formatted "XXX XXXX", three characters space four characters. They only allow seven non blank characters...

The blank character is removed when processed. If the field can hold 7 alphanumeric characters then the Eircode is valid!

Loc8code would be a much better system to use imo and a code can be created for any location in Ireland,.
I've had a Loc8code for ages and saw the logic in using it for all purposes, but no, An Post had to do things differently. I mean look at their track record, they failed as a bank, they failed as a courier company - imagine they deliver letters and parcels daily and have done for decades, yet couldn't do the same job in competition with private companies. Failing as experts or experts at failure?

Back