You can find your new postcode here

I've had a Loc8code for ages and saw the logic in using it for all purposes, but no, An Post had to do things differently. I mean look at their track record, they failed as a bank, they failed as a courier company - imagine they deliver letters and parcels daily and have done for decades, yet couldn't do the same job in competition with private companies. Failing as experts or experts at failure?

An Post tendered for, as part of a consortium, the postcode system contract that was advertised internationally with the contract being awarded in the end to another consortium by the name of Capita Ireland, which includes Gamma.

The company responsible for the "Loc8code" did not tender independently or as part of a consortium for the postcode system contract. The algorithm, as that is what is it, that "Loc8code" uses does have it flaws and does not fit all the criteria required for a postcode type system even if it did tender for the contract.

Hmm. I get an eircode for my address but the map points to the wrong house. I filled in the contact form to inform them of the error but I get "Error has occurred, please try again later" on submission.

Must try harder.
Same as that seamless, except that the Contact form now appears to be working so I sent them off a query to see if they can correct the map.

An Post tendered for, as part of a consortium, the postcode system contract that was advertised internationally with the contract being awarded in the end to another consortium by the name of Capita Ireland, which includes Gamma.

The company responsible for the "Loc8code" did not tender independently or as part of a consortium for the postcode system contract. The algorithm, as that is what is it, that "Loc8code" uses does have it flaws and does not fit all the criteria required for a postcode type system even if it did tender for the contract.

Pfffft.... less of the facts, it makes it harder to moan about the Eircode and give our barstool opinions...

Reply from Eircode to my query. Basically they're saying the map is wrong but the postcode assigned to our house is the correct one (they just put our housename on the wrong house in the map). Impressed with how quick they were to respond to the query!
Sorry about the confusion. This is a mixup in our source data.

Since you have been on the Finder and found your house on the map, the correct Eircode for the address that you are residing at should be 'xxxx' and you can begin using that Eircode immediately. Eircodes are linked with geographic co-ordinates so you can write the address as you do now and include 'xxxx' as the last line on the address for domestic mail and as the second last line above the country for international mail. If you use your address as it is now with the Eircode 'xxxx', you will recieve your post correctly.

I hope that clears things up for you. Apologies again for the mistake.

Perhaps a tangential point but:
One of the things that surprised me was the amount of detail visible on the Eircode satellite map.
A few years ago when Google attempted to show detail like this in Germany there was an outcry and many streets had houses blanked over to ensure privacy.

On the Eircode website there is now a complete detailed view of everyone's land or garden. I can even count the bushes in mine, it's that detailed - vegetable patch, garden paths, gas tank - all completely visible for anyone to look at. I can count the cattle and the number of bales in the neighbour's fields !
Eircode is looking directly into (private) property and publishing this information freely.

I don't like the idea of this type of information being so readily available and potentially falling into the wrong hands. I guess it's available on other sources already, (Google earth doesn't give this detail on the area I live in), but now it's being publicised.

What does anyone else think ? No privacy even in your own back garden anymore?

I can confirm that the Driver & Vehicle Computer Services Division of Revenue and the Dept of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare cannot / will not use post-codes or print post-codes on your RF101. I sent mine in to get the address changed as indicated in my OP. All correct but no post-code, but there is a QR code.

More indications that this exercise was a massive waste of time and money and that not even the other PS organisations want this nonsense. Is it all joined up yet IndaKinney?

It'll be adopted over time. Given the government's history of rolling out such initiatives, I wouldn't have been in any rush to invest significant money to modify an IT system to handle these codes before it was fully rolled out.

Most of my customers are not updating their websites at the minute to accommodate Eircodes. My understanding is that they need to buy a licence to use the database from Eircode and most are not doing it at the minute due to the cost of the license, changes on their own systems to accommodate it and as one customer put it, " We'll wait for a year or so until all the problems and errors have been sorted out, and then we'll look at it"

Most of my customers are not updating their websites at the minute to accommodate Eircodes. My understanding is that they need to buy a licence to use the database from Eircode and most are not doing it at the minute due to the cost of the license...

Businesses here can choose to accept/store the postcode without any licencing, it's only if they want access to the full database to carry out validation on addresses or other activities they need to pay. That's the standard approach in most countries.

Any idea what the licence costs are here?

Reactions: Leo
Maybe not cheap but it seems to work.

At 7:00pm on Thursday last 16/07/2015, I ordered and paid for a book on a UK website
The book was delivered in this morning's post (no idea of the time as I wasn't home) 22/07/2015

That's pretty good. I edited my details on my favourite sites to include my post-code (where the site allowed it) and this was one of the first.

The charge still hasn't hit my credit-card!! Well done all.

Maybe not cheap but it seems to work.

At 7:00pm on Thursday last 16/07/2015, I ordered and paid for a book on a UK website
The book was delivered in this morning's post (no idea of the time as I wasn't home) 22/07/2015

I don't believe An Post are using the new post codes....

That wouldn't surprise me, maybe they never will, but maybe UK organisations are using them to expedite deliveries to Ireland.

On 4/8/2015 I wrote to Eircode using the webmail from their web-site.

"Dear Unnecessary Quango

When I search for my Eircode, the house number highlighted on your map has the wrong number. In fact all of the houses in my part of the xxxxx Estate are incorrectly numbered. My Eircode is X99 YY88, my address is No. 9999 The Estate. The house number allocated to my house on your map is No. 9997. All the houses on the map are incorrectly numbered and are allocated a number which is 2 lower than the actual house-number.
"

On 5/8/2015 Eircode wrote back to me

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting us to let us know that the houses in your estate are incorrectly numbered. I have passed on your concerns to my supervisor who will look into this for you.

Regards,

Eircode
Capita Business Support Services (Ireland) Limited
Phone: 0818 300005
"

But hold on, that's an anonymous call-centre / contact-centre replying to me with a non-geographic telephone number, presumably a private-sector organisation put in place to preserve the anonymity of the public-servants who should be dealing with this directly and identifying themselves in the process.

A bit of to-ing and fro-ing about that got me nowhere, surprise surprise. Today I got this:

"Dear xxxxxxxx

The address information source data that we use is provided to us by An Post Geodirectory and therefore it is not possible for us to make any changes or amendments to this information ourselves - it needs to be updated at the source and then the changes will come through to us in a data update.

The only thing that we can do from here is bring the request for a change to the attention of our data providers – it will need to be updated at the source before any changes will be made in one of our data updates. This process can take some time and will not come into effect immediately.

Kind regards,

Eircode
Capita Business Support Services (Ireland) Limited
Phone: 0818 300005
"

So Eircode was established solely to sell erroneous geo-data An Post already possessed. Also it seems An Post having failed as a bank and as a courier company now can't even get the correct house numbers associated with addresses their staff already deliver to.

If the basic data are erroneous, how can we rely on the services they purportedly support and how can any benefits accrue? Do we actually have anything now other than a €27 million bill? And an increase in the basic postage stamp to €0.70.

One of the things that surprised me was the amount of detail visible on the Eircode satellite map.
I guess it's available on other sources already, (Google earth doesn't give this detail on the area I live in), but now it's being publicised.

The aerial photography being used on the Eircode website doesn't belong to them. It looks like they're using Bing Maps which as you correctly stated is already out there.

Back