wooden Floor for hallway.

callaghanj

I have decided against a wooden floor for the kitchen but wonder if any of you feel strongly against a wooden floor for the hallway. I do not have UFH and dont like the cold feel of tiles though would love a marble hallway. Any help greatly appreciated.

I have a wooden floor in my hallway for the past 4 years with no problems what so ever. What problems do you think you might encounter?

I have a semi solid floor in the hall and two dogs. It has become quite scratched. It's easy to clean, hoover and damp cloth. Like the OP I'm not keen on tiles and would like to know if your wooden floor wears well from traffic and if 8 dog legs running on it would cause a lot of damage. I would love to change the floor to something better but feel that with the dogs, I should stick with what I have.Grateful for any replies.

Wooden floors look better but tiles are more practical. I regret not putting tiles down in my hall.

you could do what Swedes do and make sure anybody who comes in takes off their shoes ;)
There's a product called Amtico which is extremely durable and hardwearing and looks almost like the real thing, it's expensive though

We have very real looking oak laminate in hall for past two years, also have a Samoyed which is a big fluffy dog, he has run of house and floor gets constantly marked with paw marks but comes up like new when I give it a light clean with mop, just use hot water. Tiles look lovely but just as difficult to keep clean if you have a lot of traffic. I have just recently put down a very good quality runner which covers quite a lot of floor and that helps.

We have a wooden floor in our hallway and I wish we had tiled it instead! It is a five year old solid canadian maple and it is scrapped and dented in places! Basically just looks worn whereas tiles would'nt!

if your not going for tiles then get a good laminate, there are many out there on the market that look like the real thing. one called borue is 14mm deep, with a good layer on top. solids or semi-solids tend to scratch around door ways but if you do go for this option. get your floor layer to fit a mat-well, that way people entering have to step on the mat as the enter

We have semi-solid oak down in hall been there for couple of years and no complaints at all, in fact we like the worn look and the floor just wont play ball and still looks new!.
I also prefer the look of wood as has a much more welcoming warm feel to it, but its a personal choice, only thing I wish i had done was to put a recessed floor mat in, but that would have been the same if had had wood or tiles

Speaking of wooden floors - has anyone any thoughts on parquet flooring? I love the look of it but I don't know whether it's still available or how expensive it is.

I regret putting a wooden floor in my hallway - it's semi-solid type. Lots of scratches and little dents. Also my front door sometimes swells and catches on the floor.

If I was starting again I would definitely opt for tiles.

I put wooden flooring in the hallway of my first house.
Changed to tiles for my second house.
Tiles every time for me.

I also had a wooden floor, looked awful after a few years. Now have white tiles and although hard to keep clean, would never go back to the wood.

I also had a wooden floor, looked awful after a few years. Now have white tiles and although hard to keep clean, would never go back to the wood.

Just as a matter of interest did you sand down and revarnish/stain the floor before changing to tiles? If so did it still look awful?

I was going to go for parquet, get them off a salvage yard, they have contacts to restore them but it was going to cost €4,000 more compared to semi solid oak, it all depends on where it is on your wish list of things to get, I would love to have got it in but some day I suppose, probably when I am using a zimmer frame unfortunately.

I've noted elswhere on the site that our 56 year-old house has had a beech block floor in the hall from new. Iclean it with a mix of 75%white spirit and 25% linseed oil, and put two coats of Danish Oil on it to finish.
I'd be lying if I said that it was in pristine condition but it looks very good for its age. (Bit like myself!) ;)

If you do decide to go for a wooden floor then to the best of my knowledge it has to be a semi solid wood because of the under floor heating.
Also you should know that in the 9 years I'm tiling i have changed the nearly 30 hall ways from wood to tiles with each client citing the same reason, the wood is too hard to keep and gets scratched to easy. Now that said if you mind it well I have no doubt it will last a long time.

My advice would be to tile it with either porcelain or marble. And yes the heat will still penatrate the thickest of tile.

Good luck with your decision.

To add to what has already been said, we have laminate in the hall which has been down for eight years with no problem. We have a mat inside the door for wet shoes. It is far warmer than tiles. But then it's down to each persons preference. There is no damage in that time and it still looks like new. I clean it with a soft cloth barely damp.I also have it in one of the bedrooms. The new carpets which were put down at the same time in various rooms have worn out but the wood soldiers on.

Back