Women's World Cup

Sad that a group of sports people have to stoop to the level of singing IRA chants just because they are playing a team from the United Kingdom.

Some people will say "what's the harm". My answer is that type of stupidity is at the same level of those chanting similar antagonistic chants in the terraces.

Simply no place for this today.

This is simply soccer hooliganism. Can't imagine the Irish Rugby team singing IRA songs on beating England in the Six Nations, even if the Ulster players happen to be absent.

Honestly, all I can think is haters gonna hate. For anyone to think this is the big story from what happened last night, all I can say is no it is not. They have repeatedly apologised for it and we should now get back to congratulating the team for a terrific achievement.
As for that numpty on Sky News asking if education was required, she answered it far more politely than I would have!

Honestly, all I can think is haters gonna hate. For anyone to think this is the big story from what happened last night, all I can say is no it is not.
Well, 'haters gonna hate' applies to me in so far that I hate terrorism and terrorists, but hate is too strong a word towards those who glorify or celebrate terrorists. I don't hate people for being stupid, ill-informed, or foolish, but that behaviour really took the gloss off what should have been an occasion worth celebrating

They have repeatedly apologised for it.
As did those loyalist animals singing about Michaela.
I didn't accept their apology but it was at least partly motivated by shame.
I didn't accept Cullinane's apology which was purely to protect his political skin.
I don't accept our women soccer hooligans' apology, which is purely to try and protect their public adulation.

Last edited:
Well, 'haters gonna hate' applies to me in so far that I hate terrorism and terrorists, but hate is too strong a word towards those who glorify or celebrate terrorists. I don't hate people for being stupid, ill-informed, or foolish, but that behaviour really took the gloss off what should have been an occasion worth celebrating
It was at the foolish end of the scale Leo. There was no glorification or celebration here. This is a song that was reworded in honour of Paul McGrath and sung by the country. Anyone singing last night (and they sang many songs) did so in ignorance and have immediately apologised for it. Why this is the story people focus on just shows how quick we all are to jump on something. Last night was a good news story.

They have repeatedly apologised for it and we should now get back to congratulating the team for a terrific achievement.
The apologies (even the official FAI one) are along the usual mealy-mouthed lines of “for any offence caused”. A real apology would acknowledge the absolute incorrectness of the song being sung in celebration by any team, but particularly one representing us all on the international stage. Instead we’re being asked to “move on”.

Shame on all involved.

This is simply soccer hooliganism. Can't imagine the Irish Rugby team singing IRA songs on beating England in the Six Nations, even if the Ulster players happen to be absent.
Then again an Irish Soccer team has never had to sneak out of the country unlike the Rugby team who arrogantly ignored a Worldwide boycott to tour South Africa.
Equally the appallingly sexist nature of the tweets of the Rugby players involved in the Belfast rape trial was a shameful episode that puts the stupid behaviour of the Ladies team in the shade .
The of course there’s David Tweed !
You’d swear Rugby was a game played by Saints .
Isn’t there another trial in the offing in France ?

...the stupid behaviour of the Ladies team...
Stupid and probably very expensive too. Having qualified for the World Cup, sponsors would be banging on the doors. It would take a brave brand to be associated with them now. But the question I want to know....will Tubs have them on on Friday night?

Shame on all involved.
Totally over the top reaction. How about a bit of praise for Amber Barrett who spoke so eloquently and in such a dignified manner after the game? How about praise for Vera Pauw who has been brilliant throughout and very open about her own experiences in football? How about the three ladies who were involved in a previous playoff defeat in 2008 and were able to finally achieve qualification last night?
No, instead you choose to cast shame on them all for foolishly singing one song. The air must be pretty thin up there!

There was no glorification or celebration here.
So when all those on the Hill shout 'Up the Dubs', they are not actually in any way suggesting they support the Dublin team or their objectives?

Anyone singing last night (and they sang many songs) did so in ignorance and have immediately apologised for it.
I think that is an insult to their intelligence.

Totally over the top reaction. How about a bit of praise for Amber Barrett who spoke so eloquently and in such a dignified manner after the game? How about praise for Vera Pauw who has been brilliant throughout and very open about her own experiences in football? How about the three ladies who were involved in a previous playoff defeat in 2008 and were able to finally achieve qualification last night?
No, instead you choose to cast shame on them all for foolishly singing one song. The air must be pretty thin up there!
It’s possible to acknowledge the significance of the result, the skill and commitment of players and coach, and the eloquence of the creeslough tribute and still be appalled that an international team would sing songs of this nature in celebration. This is what the British papers are leading with in their coverage.

The players let themselves down. I know they’d like us all to forget and move on quickly like they have but some of us are old enough to remember how negative stories like this impacted on the Irish in England.

So when all those on the Hill shout 'Up the Dubs', they are not actually in any way suggesting they support the Dublin team or their objectives?

I think that is an insult to their intelligence.
Yeah sure whatever Leo. I'm the one insulting their intelligence by suggesting they don't actually support the IRA and you're not insulting them by suggesting that they sang that song in celebration of the IRA. I suppose you think every football chant should be taken literally too.

This is not some old ancient song that our grandads sang in the pub. This is a song from the 80's. Written at the very height of the IRA bombing campaign in the UK and written for Glasgow Celtic and very much antagonistic to the rangers supporters. It is very much a republican song.

And they were in Glasgow.

The FAI need to draw up a list of "songs" that should never be used in any manner, privately or publicly, by any group representing Ireland in the name of the FAI.

Then again an Irish Soccer team has never had to sneak out of the country unlike the Rugby team who arrogantly ignored a Worldwide boycott to tour South Africa.
Equally the appallingly sexist nature of the tweets of the Rugby players involved in the Belfast rape trial was a shameful episode that puts the stupid behaviour of the Ladies team in the shade .
The of course there’s David Tweed !
You’d swear Rugby was a game played by Saints .
Isn’t there another trial in the offing in France ?
I never played Rugby so I've no dog in the fight but that's a ridiculous post. This is about a team representing our country, in the colours of our country, singing a sectarian song which supports murderers.

When Ulster Rugby players made sexist and disgusting comments on a private WhatsApp group which were subsequently published during a rape trail at which they were found not guilty they were sacked by their club and country.

You can hardly blame the IRFU or Rugby in general for David Tweed being a sexual predator any more than you can blame soccer clubs for their players who are abusers.

The participation of Irish players in the World 15 tour of South Africa in 1989 (33 years ago) was disgraceful. Willie John McBride should be singled our in particular for criticism. But that was 33 years ago and they weren't singing songs in support of murdering terrorist scum.

Last edited:
Back