Why do we still have "The Angelus" on RTE?

And I find Pat Kenny offensive and patronising but some people like him and they pay their licence fee too so if they want to waste their time watching him, then fair enough. Unless your tv is forced to automatically switch onto to RTE at 6pm every evening and stay there, I don't see what the problem is.

But Pat Kennys underlying agenda is not to control the masses through fear and to control the fertility of women (at least I hope not), nor does he attempt to indoctrinate people into believing in an imaginary entity under threat of everlasting damnation if they dont and promise of everlasting paradise if they do - without question though - very important not to question religion.

I dont believe Pat Kenny is dangerous in the manner that religion is.

And I find Pat Kenny offensive and patronising but some people like him and they pay their licence fee too so if they want to waste their time watching him, then fair enough. Unless your tv is forced to automatically switch onto to RTE at 6pm every evening and stay there, I don't see what the problem is.

Well said! Couldn't agree more - that's what a remote is for!

Saying that at Oxegen last summer the took the complete mickey out of the angelus bongs and had a film of random people at the gig imitating the wistful look into the distance and it really made me laugh!!

...that the catholic church is involved with?

That's the issue for me - why is it involved?
I object to interference/influence from the catholic church in my daily life. That also applies to the pubs being closed on good friday, congregation members becoming self appointed traffic wardens during 'solemn' :)rolleyes:) novenas etc etc.

But Pat Kennys underlying agenda is not to control the masses through fear and to control the fertility of women (at least I hope not), nor does he attempt to indoctrinate people into believing in an imaginary entity under threat of everlasting damnation if they dont and promise of everlasting paradise if they do - without question though - very important not to question religion.

You get all that from the ringing of a bell????

But Pat Kennys underlying agenda is not to control the masses through fear... I dont believe Pat Kenny is dangerous in the manner that religion is.

Do you include "Joe Duffy" in that grouping, when he was doing his best to start a run on the banks? :rolleyes:

I have a degree of faith and do not feel in fear of the church nor do I wish to control womens fertility, and I have my own grasp on what I believe in regards the afterlife, there is no hard and fast rules, we are not in the dark ages so making the church and church goers sound like an evil cult makes no sense and adds nothing. Maybe you could open your mind to how people feel about the church or simply ignore it altogether.

That's the issue for me - why is it involved?
I object to interference/influence from the catholic church in my daily life. That also applies to the pubs being closed on good friday, congregation members becoming self appointed traffic wardens during 'solemn' :)rolleyes:) novenas etc etc.

I would say its involved as it is appealing to the major religious community that is based in Ireland and as it is only providing one minute in the day so it is much easier to have it than not to have it. I still cant see how it is offensive.

Why do people get so hung up on 1 minutes programming, it is not offensive and there is no words spoken so therefore no preaching involved.

Its the same old death knell banging day in day out though, same as on the radio, at prime time. If people want to hear that, why do they not buy a CD of it and listen to it again and again, instead of forcing it on other people, the majority of the population who continue what they are doing and ignore it ? I think if This post will be deleted if not edited immediately was here, he would wonder what it was all about , and would perhaps prefer sell the valuable advertising time and give the money to some charity in the world.

What harm does it do? I know my Grandparents and alot of people from that generation seem to get something from it so let them off. I am sure we can even things up for the other religions if they are offended.

Maybe instead of the Late Late, we could have Pat Kenny reading from the Koran or something.
posted by "Sunny" ....or "Sunni"?..watch out lads I think we`ve got a live one!!:D

Its the same old death knell banging day in day out though, same as on the radio, at prime time. If people want to hear that, why do they not buy a CD of it and listen to it again and again, instead of forcing it on other people, the majority of the population who continue what they are doing and ignore it ? I think if This post will be deleted if not edited immediately was here, he would wonder what it was all about , and would perhaps prefer sell the valuable advertising time and give the money to some charity in the world.

The same could be said for woefull Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny on the radio. Change the recordgive someone else a chance. I'd rather listen to a bell chime than those two any day. so guess what? I don't listen to them just like people aren't forced to listen to 60 seconds of a bell ringing twice a day.

...attempt to indoctrinate people into believing in an imaginary entity under threat of everlasting damnation if they dont and promise of everlasting paradise if they do - without question though - very important not to question religion.

Remind me again, what century are we living in :)

Maybe all of you who do not have an interest in The Angelus might just try taking that one minute ro reflect on how your day has been.

The majority of peope in this country are Catholics and down the years The Angelus has had an important place in everyday life. The Church bells chime at 12 and at 6. It was recited in school at 12 and possibly still is in several schools. There was that very popular painting seen in many a home of the 2 people pausing in the field. Why should the tradition be dropped? You who do not believe have an option whereas we who do believe would not have an option if it were not on our screens.

When you think of how many times at an add break we see the same sometimes ridiculuous adds over and over again each night and you crib of just one minute each day before 6 o'cock.

congregation members becoming self appointed traffic wardens during 'solemn' :)rolleyes:) novenas etc etc.

Maybe then we should also ban all music festivals, sports events etc etc all in the name of free-flowing traffic :rolleyes:

jeeze I hope you go to bed before 'prayer at bedtime' you'd really have nightmares then! :eek::eek::eek:

I have a degree of faith and do not feel in fear of the church nor do I wish to control womens fertility, and I have my own grasp on what I believe in regards the afterlife, there is no hard and fast rules, we are not in the dark ages so making the church and church goers sound like an evil cult makes no sense and adds nothing. Maybe you could open your mind to how people feel about the church or simply ignore it altogether.

I dont think youre trying to control womens fertility MrMan, but organised religion does.
As far as Im concerned the church (and any church or religion) IS a cult.
When does a cult become a religion? I dont see any difference between the two.

Interesting that its ok to advise an atheist to 'open their mind' or ignore the church altogether - but an atheist advising a religious person to 'open their mind' is construed as very naughty.

Maybe then we should also ban all music festivals, sports events etc etc all in the name of free-flowing traffic :rolleyes:

Why - do these events also involve unsanctioned, untrained, nonprofessional busybodies who disregard the rules of the road and give preference to members of their congregation regardless of prevailing traffic conditions, whilst simultaneously encouraging attendees to illegally park and create obstructions?

Back