Why do we still have "The Angelus" on RTE?

To those of you who are able to be at home at 18:00 in the evening, hush your whining and pick up the remote :p ?

That's what I would do if I were not stuck in traffic or standing on a crowded DART.

I'm not religious at all but I have no objection to the Angelus - a lot of older get something from it. It's one minute out of a long day and the idea of a moment of calm before the news of stock crashing, etc. is nice. And although I haven't actually seen it in a long time, I don't remember it as being in your face Catholic - more of a moment of quite reflection.

Personally I think it is nice that RTE have continued to have The Angelus on and hopefully they will continue to do so. Its only one minute out of each day. Nobody is compelling anybody to view it. In America you have "IN God we Trust" on their national currency. Are people cribbing?

Nobody is compelling anybody to view it. In America you have "IN God we Trust" on their national currency. Are people cribbing?
I have never noticed that written on American currency. However, I have been to other countries too and could not tell you whats written in small print on their currencies either. Who cares ? At least "In God we Trust" is a bit more wider embracing / less sectarian than the Angelus, as most if not all religions ( in the west at least ) seem to believe in some God / supreme being. The Angelus is another matter. People turn on their TV primarily for two things , entertainment and acquisition of knowledge or news. Most people I know turn to another station when they hear those boring bells on tv or the radio , for that matter. Only a station of "the state" and underwritten by state finances would have them.

I dont need the national broadcaster reminding me to reflect - Im quite capable of reflecting myself if needs be without being told.

For those who say its not blatantly religious - the definition of The Angelus (according to Wikipedia) is:
The Angelus (Latin for Angel) is a Christian devotion in memory of the Incarnation.

To me this is blatantly religious

Im with Sunny on this, bring on Pat Kenny reading from the Koran.

BTW, I should add that I do object to this thing being on.

My earlier point was just that it's not nearly as blatant as it once was.
I think it's a sad old relic from the days (thankfully almost gone) when the word of a priest was more important than the word of law and being harassed for religious contributions was regarded as normal.

If any other religion want to have their minute on the TV it would'nt bother me. I would'nt have a problem watching it.

exactly , I think it should be left on , and 1 minute a day offered to the other major religions...

FWIW

The TV listings supplied on the RTE website make no reference to The Angelus.

17:30 The Bill
18:01 RTE News: Six One

Only a station of "the state" and underwritten by state finances would have them.

The privately-owned local radio station in my area also carries the Angelus. They are part of a group that operates several local stations, all of which I expect have a similar policy.

I think it's a sad old relic from the days (thankfully almost gone) when the word of a priest was more important than the word of law and being harassed for religious contributions was regarded as normal.

Nowadays its just the environmentalists whose word is more important than anything else, and the "charities" who harass us for contributions. Plus ca change...

To those of you who are able to be at home at 18:00 in the evening, hush your whining and pick up the remote :p ?

And if you are unable to be home by 18.00 you can always get the bongs at Midday on RTE Radio 1 :D - are they still going?

If you think we are bad with the Angelus, in the Philippines they have a decade of the rosary at 12:00 and 18:00. Not just on the radio and TV, but also in large department stores etc. Everyone stops shopping and stands there quietly waiting for it to end. Which reminds me where has GDE gone to these days?

6.01 news invariably opens with two dudes chatting away to each other or fiddling with their laptops. Clearly they haven't been reflecting.:(

6.01 news invariably opens with two dudes chatting away to each other or fiddling with their laptops. Clearly they haven't been reflecting

But sometimes its Sharon, so thats ok.

Why do people get so hung up on 1 minutes programming, it is not offensive and there is no words spoken so therefore no preaching involved. Is it just the default mode in peoples brains to attack anything that the catholic church is involved with?

Why do people get so hung up on 1 minutes programming, it is not offensive and there is no words spoken so therefore no preaching involved. Is it just the default mode in peoples brains to attack anything that the catholic church is involved with?

I find the entire concept of religion offensive and patronising.
Words are unnecessary, the meme is transmitted by the death knell.

I find the entire concept of religion offensive and patronising.
Words are unnecessary, the meme is transmitted by the death knell.

And I find Pat Kenny offensive and patronising but some people like him and they pay their licence fee too so if they want to waste their time watching him, then fair enough. Unless your tv is forced to automatically switch onto to RTE at 6pm every evening and stay there, I don't see what the problem is.

Back