why do churches have spires? What are the "vents" on the side for?

Monasteries? Do you misread "any of the many monstrosities" ?

Well now I just feel foolish! I couldn't figure out the link between the arcitecture of both, now I know thanks.

If the vents are in the tower, they may be to allow the sound of the bells to get out.

AFAIK, spires were originally designed to help visually locate the church, from the days when people followed field paths through (more wooded) countryside. Putting bells there, if the church could afford to, supplied an audible signal not just of worship time but of irregular events like funerals and good/bad news. Not sure about the vents but probably to allow wooden beams etc to get air circulation.

Re: church spires

this cathedral was built in famine times and I just question why they spent money in this way when locals dropping like flies....

Most public works projects, including churches, stone walls etc., built around this time were a form of social welfare i.e. providing jobs and wages to local men. You have to remember the 1840's were the height of laissez faire economic thought, and to merely 'hand out' charity to starving people was an anathema.

Back