Who is running the country?

bazermc

I noted last night, while watching the RTE 9 o’clock news, that Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore and Simon Covney were all in attendance at the announcement of jobs at Kerry Group in Kildare

I agree that this is great news for the country, but I fail to see why it was necessary that the leader and assistant leader of the country had to be there for jobs that have already been agreed to be created?

Maybe it just confirms that politicians really have nothing better than to get their ugly mug on TV, rather than actually running the country.

Maybe it just confirms that politicians really have nothing better than to get their ugly mug on TV, rather than actually running the country.
Sure they want to take credit for everything and responsibility for nothing.

The civil servants and Trapattoni's paymaster is running the country!

Enda is now in the US, the President is in South America along with Joe Costello and no doubt a bevy of advisers along with the advisers advisers.

I noted last night, while watching the RTE 9 o’clock news, that Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore and Simon Covney were all in attendance at the announcement of jobs at Kerry Group in Kildare

So what? SIPTU/ICTU used to run the country and now the Troika run it. ;)
Politicians are just there as front-men.

Just another photo op.

Enda Kenny is the king of the photo opp.

When hard decisions have to be made - they cut services rather than reform the system.

Yesterdays announcement of local government delivered zero reform in the way local government works.

It points to an acceptance that reform is off the agenda while cuttting services is ok.

Acceptance of the Croke Park deal and lack of govt reform illustrates that senior public servants and unions run the country.

Acceptance of the Croke Park deal and lack of govt reform illustrates that senior public servants and unions run the country.

Hear! Hear!

The PS unions, and thier underworked and overpaid membership, have destroyed any chance of recovery in this country.

Hear! Hear!

The PS unions, and thier underworked and overpaid membership, have destroyed any chance of recovery in this country.

I’m no fan of the PS unions, or unions in general, but that’s a silly post.
The people who destroyed this country were Bertie and his mates. They were in charge and did just about everything wrong that they could have done wrong. This government is picking up the pieces. The unions got everything they asked for and more from Bertie and Fianna Fail, what’s happening now is the government is trying to take back what’s already been given, what should never have been given in the first place. That’s a much more difficult task.

The Public Sector unions (and unions in general) are part of the problem and have been for decades but they are a vested interest group and will never act in the national interest. If Bertie gave them all they asked for then that’s not their fault, it’s his.

Even the cutbacks on home helps whilst at the same time not contemplating public sector reform is a disgrace.

Social Partnership did work in the earlier years.

Every Tom, Dick & Harry knew Benchmarking was a waste of money.

Even the cutbacks on home helps whilst at the same time not contemplating public sector reform is a disgrace.

Social Partnership did work in the earlier years.

Every Tom, Dick & Harry knew Benchmarking was a waste of money.

There is large scale public sector reform, just not enough in the context of the dire situation that Fianna Fail left us in.

There is large scale public sector reform, just not enough in the context of the dire situation that Fianna Fail left us in.

And with FG/Labour enacting the same fiscal austerity polices of FF there is zippo difference between FG/Labour (the new FF) "plus ca change"

Though I have to agree it is a new low by FG/Labour to see cutbacks targeted at the most vulnerable and weakest in society vis-a-vis carers hours etc.

it is a new low by FG/Labour to see cutbacks targeted at the most vulnerable and weakest in society vis-a-vis carers hours etc.

At the same time - a state agency paid the bones of 0.5million for a domain name.

There is no cutback in the salarys of the army of government advisors whose salarys breach govt. pay caps.

And with FG/Labour enacting the same fiscal austerity policies of FF there is zippo difference between FG/Labour (the new FF) "plus ca change"
The government can do little other than what they are doing. The people who pay the bills set the rules.

Though I have to agree it is a new low by FG/Labour to see cutbacks targeted at the most vulnerable and weakest in society vis-a-vis carers hours etc.
The tag “most vulnerable and weakest in society” seems to apply to most of the population these days.
Everyone will be on the receiving end of cuts and tax increases. Those that have most are being hit hardest (as has always been the case) but those who have least will still feel some pain.

@ cork,

Given that you continually slate the current government and are obviously pro FF, can I ask you to rate how well you think FF did when they were in power, in particular from the period 2002 to 2008? Perhaps, you may list the achievements that you think were great and not so great in this decade.

Until I see something like this I will find it very difficult to take your posts seriously.

Firefly.

At the same time - a state agency paid the bones of 0.5million for a domain name.
So what? Different departments spend the money that is allocated to them. We still fund the arts and clean the streets, should we not do that as long as we have waiting lists in hospitals?

There is no cutback in the salarys of the army of government advisors whose salarys breach govt. pay caps.
Are you sure? I know there are some high profile examples of breaches of pay caps but are you sure that there has been “no cutback in the salarys of the army of government advisors” or are you just referring to the small group “whose salarys breach govt. pay caps”?

Back