Whitecliff in Rathfarnham

SCooke

Hi,
I am considering buying a house in ths estate. Looking to move from Lucan for better schools, less travelling etc.etc.
Anyone got any views on this estate. It looks well maintained and quiet. I know it's not very well located for bus routes but that is not critcal for us.
Key for us is good schools locally and a quiet estate

White cliff is a grand aul spot alright. alot of good schools arount that area, very close to dundrum, a few minutes away from m50, never any trouble , generally all round nice place to live and raise a family and not bad prises for the houses in that estate either. on your door step u have the mountains , a straight route into towm, good schools, lots of golf courses and some nice bars ( thats the main thing to me)

go five hundred yards up the road - straight thru the crossroads at the golf course and onto the roundabout - red brick estate infront of you - called Grangebrook - ten years old - three bed semi 500k - four bed 580k

Hi,

I live in Willbrook, which is just beside Whitecliff. I've lived in the area all my life so know it very well. Don't know Whitecliff especially, but can vouch for the area in general, lovely place to grow up, not to far from town, but near the mountains and parks too. Just be aware that Whitechurch estate is close by and does have reports of trouble, but I think its far enough away not to be concerned. There is a new bus route to start from Stocking Lane to town which will go down Ballyboden Road.

Kimkim

As are Moyville, Glendower, boden park (it's own little halting site), heather lawn and most of Ballyboden - close to Whitechurch. While I am at it, Wilbrook is opposite Tara Hills (oops - oh dear - bonfires) and most of Marley is behind the Holy Lands - now there is an interesting place. So much snobbery - such a little place - don't mention the D14/D16 debate.

Back to Whitechurch - very ordinary early 80's council estate - mostly owner occupied now - the kids are reared and mostly gone - I have lived in Grangebrook for ten years now (very nice four bed detached for a FTB - thanks to that snobbery issue) and have never had a bother (no burglary, car jacking, graffitti-free zone or antisocial behaviour) - OH yeah - the whitechurch locals have fat-bore exhausts on their OWN cars (not stolen)

Now if I was to choose a spot for future trouble - then Stocking Lane is it - Social housing everywhere and a healthy dose of halting sites... hmmm

There is such a thing as oversensitivity you know...Whitechurch is well known as a dodgy area so naturally this is going to reflect badly on Grangebrook. It's not out of snobbery or malice that posters point these things out.

The snobbery was directed at the general D14/D16/D24 (Rathfarnham / Knocklyon / Firhouse) area - all pitching against each other in one-up manship - in fact, I made a lot of money out of snobbery - whitechurch semis sold for <€100k in the late nineties - went for >€400k before the great unmentionable started happening - very profitable time for one indeed.

The snobbery was directed at the general D14/D16/D24 (Rathfarnham / Knocklyon / Firhouse) area - all pitching against each other in one-up manship - in fact, I made a lot of money out of snobbery - whitechurch semis sold for <€100k in the late nineties - went for >€400k before the great unmentionable started happening - very profitable time for one indeed.

Is D14 not more Dundrum, D16 Rathfarnham and D24 Knocklyon/Firhouse/Tallaght?
How did you "make money out of snobbery"?

I have lived in the area most of my life and have no idea if I'm D14 or D16. What does it matter?

It matters because not knowing your own address probably delays your post!

Some people send it to D14 and some to D16. AFAIK I'm in D16 but I have never bothered to find out. Revenue think I'm in D14 but the rest of the organs of state (the ones that send me post) think I'm in D16, as does my local council.

Some people send it to D14 and some to D16. AFAIK I'm in D16 but I have never bothered to find out. Revenue think I'm in D14 but the rest of the organs of state (the ones that send me post) think I'm in D16, as does my local council.

Which delays your post by at least a day...some letters will go to the wrong sorting office first. Could be worth rectifying in case it costs you at some stage

Don't know this estate really well - but I have lived around area for years - there seems to be some good primary schools around the area including School of Divine Word, Scoil Naithi (Good Gael Scoil if you're in to that type of thing), one on Whitechurch Road .

You've also got great Parks including the well kept St Endas and Marley Park just up the road. Forest Walks at Tibradden, Kilmashogue and Ticknock and the mountains on the doorsteps as someone else pointed out.

I know someone that moved to area from Lucan and they much prefer just in terms of being more mature/settled plus just being closer to everything

Which delays your post by at least a day...some letters will go to the wrong sorting office first. Could be worth rectifying in case it costs you at some stage
Nopr, they all go through Edmonstown (which is D16), even the ones that are addressed to D14. Anyway, what can't wait an extra day? 90% of my post are bills anyway.
- there seems to be some good primary schools around the area including School of Divine Word, Scoil Naithi (Good Gael Scoil if you're in to that type of thing), one on Whitechurch Road .
Don't forget Whitechurch primary school and ballyroan boys and girls schools

Last edited:
..Whitechurch is well known as a dodgy area so naturally this is going to reflect badly on Grangebrook. .

Just to put this one to bed - perhaps Whitechurch in the eighties was a rough area - most of Dublin was a right kip at the time, mind you - but it is not a "dodgy" area as you speak - no drug dealing, murders, muggings, burglaries, car jacking etc - there is minimal garda presence needed in this area - I should know having lived there ten years - blue lights at night are noticeable on the whitechurch road - despite the obvious prejudice of "rathfarnham residents" - this is a quiet area with no anti-social activity.

yet more unsubstantiated rubbishing of an area - for gods sake - there is a drug problem in the whole of Ireland at the moment - what was that study recently that proved most bank notes in Ireland are contaminated by cocaine and that spamspamspam usage in under 18s was now widely known.

If people who live in Whitechurch directly tell me that they think there is a drug problem in the area, how can that be "unsubstantiated"? I've no reason to rubbish Whitechurch, I'm only stating what everone in the area knows.

Derryman you are way off the mark, yes there is a drug problem everywhere but some places alot more than others and whitechurch is one of those areas. I know alot of people in the area and you only have to walk into the local kip of a pub and they are snorting themselves happy in it, they are even smoking in the toilets without any pub supervision.

If you think this is a quiete area with no anit social behaviour you are kidding yourself.

Also the rubbish around the ground in the area is terrible. Alot of Taxi drivers will not drive into Whitechurch at night, so what does that tell you.

Back