Which is better-B&Q/Woodies/Atlantic

Sarah

Not sure if this is in the right place, if not please move to where is appropiate...anyway, which is better for choice and value, woodies, B&Q or atlantic homecare??
We have quite a few bits to pick up regarding garden and diy tools ect and wondering where is the best place to go?

Thanks

sarah

Re: Which is better

I think B&Q generally stock a wider range than either of the above, Woodies can be a little more expensive, but not consistently so. I don't tend to go to Atlantic as there are other more convenient options where I am. As ever, you need to shop around.

I find buying tools online is considerably cheaper than any of the above.
Leo

While B&Q may have larger stores, it is maddening to find so many of their shelves empty. The staff seem to have no idea when restocks will be arriving in.

I find that Atlantic is cheaper than B&Q - and Atlantic has improved in recent months (particularly stores near a B&Q).

I would suggest your local builders' suppliers.

I find the range available at B & Q is far larger than the others. Prices in all three are similar. I have found Atlantic Homecare to be frustrating as any time I go there for two or three normal type items they are out of stock or dont stock something at all.

I find them all very frustrating...if you need a member of staff to help you, there is never any around esp at late opening times. I usually have to ask other customers for help which is ridiculous. Was buying a lawnmower in Woodies and had to wait at least ten minutes just to get someone to lift the box to the cash register...it was in an awkward place otherwise I would have done it myself.

B&Q may have more stock but their shelves can be a disaster, depending on what you're looking for. Although that can be down to the general public too! Avoid Woodies, desparate ! Atlantic may not be too bad but they do a lot of householdy stuff too, dinner sets etc. so if you're going to Atlantic, go to a big store so it will have room to stock all the DIY stuff and the householdy stuff.

I agree with most of the previous-but my experience over the years is that they all at times have something to offer and it does pay to shop around.B+Q definitely have the widest selection-but Woodies do special offers and promotions from time to time and very often at Bank Holiday weekends have 10-20 per cent off most things-in fact they might well have this Aug weekend.BTW I would also throw Homebase into the mix.
I can tell you from close experience that a certain branch of Woodies is a little paranoid about B+Q and at least once a week send a staff member down to compare prices:)

I've even noticed a wider disparity in the selection of products available in different B&Q stores on a consistent basis.

The Liffey Valley store always has a better selection of products than the on in Airside - imho.

I can tell you from close experience that a certain branch of Woodies is a little paranoid about B+Q and at least once a week send a staff member down to compare prices

You can be pretty sure B&Q are doing the same.
The supermarkets all do that as well.

Atlantic and Woodies are both owned by Grafton so should be the same prices to be honest. Best bet is a builders providers (Chadwicks for eg)

smmb said:
Atlantic and Woodies are both owned by Grafton so should be the same prices to be honest.
I'd happily take the bet that there not! I'd even take the bet that prices differ (slightly) in different locations within a single chain.

Stating the obvious here but the only real answer is to hit where you can with your intended shopping list and see where the best value lies (especially with the common "specials" which come on offer now and again). Looking for a one stop stop (sorry, can't provide any info on which of them may be the best for that) will provide convienence if your short on time etc but will never provide the best deal.

if u kno exactly what u want then your local hardware/builders providers the best. Of the 3 ou asked about i find woodies the best.

The way B&Q etc catch you out is to offer a pallet load of cheap hedge trimmers (for example). The customer assumes that everything is cheap - big warehouse, everything stacked high, 'cheap' style ticketing etc.

In their false sense of security, the customer then idley throws the most expensive bag of screws in the country into their basket...

While B&Q may have larger stores, it is maddening to find so many of their shelves empty. The staff seem to have no idea when restocks will be arriving in.
So true! They are very bad at getting back to you and if you order something in, you don't know how long you'll be waiting. I go to Woodies - don't have an atlantic homewear near us.

I found B&Q more expensive than atlantic for some things i.e Light bulbs but I just assumed that I was paying for their bigger warehouse.With all 3 I've found the service and know how very poor,do they get any training on general DIY?Now I go to a smaller family run DIY store if I need help or I am not sure exactly what I need to do a particular job.

Atlantic and Woodies are both owned by Grafton so should be the same prices to be honest. Best bet is a builders providers (Chadwicks for eg)
While a builders providers is a better option, Chadwicks and most of the other independent looking builder providers are also owned by Grafton.

As expresseed by many of the above the local builder's merchant is the best bet for most common building materials and DIY sundries. For cement, timber (rough sawn, planed and sheet material), nails, screws and common hardware you'll always do better at your local builder's merchant. That said I've often bought off standard planed-timber, half sheets of material, special items of hardware etc from Woodies and the like. You might pay a bit more for a half sheet of melamine but if that's all you need for the job in hand the convenience can be worth it. Argos are worth checking out for some of their tools (especially cordless and mains drills/ drivers). I've only rarely bought hand tools from Woodies,and usually only during one of their sales.

Anybody tell me about the tile cutters in Argos? They have two advertised i think one is electric. From €47 to €52 for the electric...i think one of the models is called challenge.???

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah said:
Anybody tell me about the tile cutters in Argos? They have two advertised i think one is electric. From €47 to €52 for the electric...i think one of the models is called challenge.???

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah,

There's one review here and you may find some others .

I bought this tile cutter about 6 months ago for the money I think it's great.I tiled all my kitchen splash back plus some of the bathroom.I also loaned it to my brother for his kitchen and did my mothers hall...and it's still going strong....it's very handy for jobs where you need to pair down/grind a tile to get an exact fit....I used to hire them before this and that cost me 25 Euro a day.....

Back