Which database software should I use?

pat127

I've been trying to set up data in a Lotus Notes DB but am unable to figure out how to do so. Is there a better alternative? What about MySQL? Is it within the capability of someone with no real experience with DBs?

It really depends on the amount of data and how you want to use it.
Microsoft Access is handy for small databases. Pivot tables in excel do quite a good job of simple analysis. Once your data sets start getting bigger, something like Microsoft SQL Server may be the job.

It depends. What is the data, what is the volume, what sort of questions to you want to ask about the data?

MySQL and SQL Server on their own are probably too advanced and low-level for your situation.

What MugsGame said, Lotus Notes is not for the uninitated and not really suitable as a database (it's better at groupware-type stuff); you'd be better off with something like MS Access as you have no real experience with DBs. Access provides some good wizards to setup most of the basic/standard stuff that people need.

If you like to post some more details on what you're planning on doing, then we may be able to offer further advice

Thanks all.

I need to store and access information (name/address/phone/opening hours etc) about facilities and services in the South Dublin area, (churches, creches, schools, GPs, TDs, PCs, Active Retirement Groups, voluntary organisations, etc etc). The data is maintained currently on a set of cards and in a folder. Perhaps 200 hundred items in all.

I propose to set up and maintain the base myself (am computer-literate but have no experience with DBs). A number of people willl require to access the data so that the DB should be simple to use.

I'm pretty certain you could set up the info in a spreadsheet like excel, one row shows all the details of a particulat group with all the details spread out in columns. You could then use the data filter function to access the row(s) you require by function area etc.

asdfg and Beefy.

Many thanks for replies. Looks as though I have the basis for a solution.

First thing is to understand your data and fully work out what your requirements are. Learn how to design a database from from first principles using industry standards. For instance look up what is called designing to third normal form (3NF)... it means you will prevent repeating elements, identify unique keys etc.

Next choose a database suitable for the job. If you have multiple concurrent users then do not use Access as it has major problems where users lock each other out of tables. Most professional db developers have a healthy disregard for Access but for ease of use it probably won't be beaten if you are looking for a single user system or for a very small group of users. I understand the top free databases are mySQL or postgresSQL but Microsoft SQLServer express sounds interesting as well. I must admit I'm in the database side of development for years, but I've never heard of Filemaker or the other choice referenced.

Best of luck.

I must admit I'm in the database side of development for years, but I've never heard of Filemaker or the other choice referenced.

Filemaker was developed for the mac first- you may find it in mac houses like small print shops , galleries etc!
jd

Anything other than Excel is a massive overkill for a "database" with a single table of 200 records.

Anything other than Excel is a massive overkill for a "database" with a single table of 200 records.

I agree completely.

Databases are made for large amounts of information which need to be easily accessible (easy to find a particular row or field of information) and easy to index.

200~ records are easily manageable in excel...

Agree - a single table of c. 200 rows/records is unlikely to need more than something like MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc.

I'd tend to use a simple contact management system for that kind of data. Download.com even has some free ones.

Oops - It pays to read the whole post... I must admit I didn't see the bit about 200 records... Please ignore my post as yes a spreadsheet sounds perfectly suitable under the circumstances.

Try this;
[broken link removed]

It allows you to set up custom fields. (It's free)

No offence but a declaration of vested interest might be in order even if it is free (albeit associated with a commercial product).

There are absolutely no associations with our commercial products. It's a handy utility that we developed, and I just decided to make it available purely for altruistic reasons :D

[I am associated with Payback.ie, the site hosting the utility]

[I am associated with Payback.ie, the site hosting the utility]
That's all that I meant. Also - while the software may be free to download it is governed by the following click through license agreement which doesn't necessarily mean that it's truly free and some of the terms & conditions may not apply or be acceptable to some users.
License Agreement

1) Terms

The copyright of the software and documentation described in this License Agreement is the sole and exclusive property of Silveronion Software Ltd. ("The Licensor"), trading as Payback Payroll. The original and any copies of the licensed software which are made by the Licensee shall remain the property of the Licensor. The term "Software" shall include any modified versions, system upgrades and system updates, added features and modules supplied by the Licensor and or it's authorised agents.

2) "1-4 Employees" Evaluation Version of Software

The conditions in section 2) of this agreement apply to the version of the software intended to allow the entry of between 1 and 4 employee records (known as the 'evaluation version').

The license granted hereunder authorises the Licensee on a non-exclusive basis to use the licensed program in machine readable form on a single computer system. Sale, lease, hire or reassignment to or by a third party is expressly forbidden without the written consent of the Licensor.

3) "5 Employees Plus" Version(s) of Software

The conditions in section 3) of this agreement apply to the version of the software intended to allow the entry of 5 or more employee records.

The license granted hereunder authorises the Licensee on a non-exclusive basis to use the licensed program in machine readable form on a single computer system for a period of 365 days from the date of installation of the product. Sale, lease, hire or reassignment to or by a third party is expressly forbidden without the written consent of the Licensor. Use of the licensed program is restricted to the nominated user who has been issued with a License number by the Licensor. If the nominated user fails to pay for the software within 30 days of the software being issued to them, the nominated user expressly loses the authorisation to use this Software.

4) Conditions of Agreement

The licensee expressly agrees that the software or any part of the software cannot be accessed or referred to or otherwise used to create or modify any other payroll or personnel or business software system.The Licensor does not warrant the quality, fitness for purpose or performance of the Software or the associated documentation and all such warranties, whether implied, statutory or otherwise are hereby excluded.

The Licensor is not in any circumstances liable for loss or corruption of data or other Software nor for any lost business or profits or anticipated savings or other consequential loss caused by any defect in the software or any breach of its obligations under this agreement.

If either or both of the foregoing reasons shall for any reason be held to be invalid in whole or in part it is hereby agreed that the Licensor's liability to the customer for any loss or damage caused by any defect in the software or any breach of the suppliers obligation under the Agreement shall be limited to and shall not exceed the purchase price of the original software package, for any loss caused by the negligence of the supplier, its employees or its agents shall in any event be limited to the said sum.

It is hereby agreed that it shall be the responsibility of the customer to obtain an appropriate insurance for any defects in the software and any loss and damage that may be caused by any breach of the Licensor's obligations under this Agreement and in particular to obtain insurance against loss or corruption of data or other software.

By proceeding with this installation you signify that you have read and agree with the terms and conditions set out in this document.

Back