Where to buy in Finglas? (south west end, Scribblestown Road)

M

mig

Does anyone have tips on where's ok and where to avoid in Finglas? I'm considering moving to Finglas. Am looking at the south west end, Scribblestown Road, which seems handy enough to town, and looks pleasant enough. There are also some nice new developments farther out, at the opposite end, like Hampton Wood. Considerations might be: - secondary schools in the area? - how easy/congenial is it to walk to/from the shops? - how reliable/regular is the bus service? - how well does property in the area hold it's value? Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Re: Where to buy in Finglas?

Is that not right beside where they were burning the cars out on St Patrick's Day?

according to the papers you should avoid the bus routes as they use em for target practice.

Hi Mig,
I live near finglas and to be honest I would live somehere near the village. Cardiffsbridge road is very problematic - alot of young guys hang around the entrance to virginia park and throw stones at busses.

The newer areas are not really serviced well by the busses and are quiet a walk away from any shops. Would you look around Mellows road, i know the houses are older - but that end of Finglas west is really well served with buses..
P..

Oh yes, I live not too far from there!!! It is lovely there but may be out of OPs reach if they are looking at south west. But yes hillcreast is very nice..

I live in Hampton Wood. There is an excellent new bus route the 140 that starts at Hampton Wood and goes to Leeson Street. There is a pretty good Spar at opposite the Deputy Mayor, that's a 10-15 walk away and the new Charlestown Shopping centre is quite easy to walk to (20 mins) also (provided you're not walking back with loads of heavy shopping). I have been told that one of the retail units on site here has been taken by a Spar/Centra etc..
Can't help you with regards the schools. The major drawback I can see with living here is a distinct lack of pubs/restaurants etc in the area.

Neighbours.ie has some pretty active forums for Hampton Wood/Cityside/Mayeston Hall/Creston etc. all the new developments up this way.
As regards prices from what I can see there are loads of unsold units in all these new developments and no shortage of for sale signs either.

The Deputy Mayor is where the guy had his hand chopped off with a sword a few months back.

Hi your better off sticking to Finglas east its the nicest area, avoid the south and the west.

Agree about Finglas East. The closer you are to Glasnevin, the better really.

Thanks for the tips, and giving your time to my questions. They do confirm my general impressions from wandering about the area. To answer aircobra, pinkyBear is on the button: we're working to a particular price range and Finglas has houses in that range which we like. We're looking mostly at new 3-beds, and are trying to find someplace without too long a commute to town, and where it's possible to do a bit of shopping with always relying on the car. It's hard to find a 3-bed with a reasonable layout. Most developments seem to cut several corners with 3-beds, presumably to cram more houses in. There might be only one food cupboard in the kitchen, or odd shaped rooms that no furniture will fit, or no storage, even for a hoover and so on. We're looking mostly at new, in the hope that builders are upping their build quality in time for 2009! The Hampton Wood general layout seems nice. There's even rear access for bicycle, bins, etc, though it seems there are communal bins or something? Dunno if lots of places being on sale is good, if they're secondhand... Hope that answers your curiosity anyway... gonna turn in now. (ρ_-)o

I agree about the room layout. Very poor on a lot of new build. Look different in the show house (which is the intention I assume) but a pain to live in

How long is the commute from Finglas?

I reckon the show houses give a good idea of the layout. You just have to try and imagine where a few sticks of furniture will go ... and check if the reason the bedside lamp is turned off is because there's no socket near it ... and open the "included" kitchen cupboards to see how much of the space they've managed to waste. And don't be silly enough to choose what house to look at based on the on-line or printed "plans"! E&OE and all that. grrr. I calculate it at 70 mins from Hampton Wood including the walk from the bus stop. I guess, like a lot of people, we keep an eye out for on the Dart Line as work is v.close to it, but places in our reach would be 20 mins walk or more from a station, which is not good if it's your only option and it's raining. Work commute at the mo is 45 mins door to door, but there's generally a severe premium on something that good! That's one thing that's attractive about SW Finglas location. Could cut 10-20 mins off the journey, and there's the option of the train on good days. If I'm not careful I'll talk myself into it again... Scribblestown Rd. seems nice enough itself, but cardiffsbridge rd is the nearest shop and bus stop :/

What train from Finglas? If it were me I'd consider making the commute shorter even if it means having a crock of bike you leave at the station. Commuting time is everything IMO.

I would not consider Cardiffsbridge Rd or the estates just off it. Would consider it one of the more troublesome parts of Finglas. I drive that way quite regularly and see a lot of anti social driving antics, idiots on motorbikes, idiots on horses (I kid you not)....Know a few people who live there and a few who moved out .... Wouldn't recommend it....
Mellowes Rd is quiet and nice with some local shops closeby....Have a look at for the newer developments in Finglas and you will get an idea of the good the bad and the ugly.

What train from Finglas? If it were me I'd consider making the commute shorter even if it means having a crock of bike you leave at the station. Commuting time is everything IMO.

train from finglas......not needed at all.
the 140 bus has you from st. margerets road beside hampton wood inot town in a little less than 30 mins, not much commuting there imo

I didn't understand the previous comment about trains. There are no trains to Finglas. Thats a good time. How consistent is that?

Back