What's Your Favourite Song Intro?

How could I also forget Sirius by Alan Parsons Project (intro to another song)... :) Yes, I'm an 80s fan!

I heard Baba O'Riley on the radio yesterday evening. What a great intro.

For Queen intro's "Hammer to Fall" has to rate up there with the best of them.

Oops Caveat! Missed your post. I remember what I was doing when I heard of his death. Drinking coffee before going to work in Quebec City about 25 years ago. The band was very popular among my age group out there.

Are we allowed to mention "Whiskey in the Jar"?

How about a sub thread dealing with best ever Irish song intros.

I agree that Whiskey in the Jar by Thin Lizzy is way up there.

Also agree with Dearg Doom by Horslips (an earlier suggestion on this thread) which still raises shivers on my spine (maybe partly because of Italia 90).

And I also think The Boys Are Back in Town is worthy of consideration.

There must be at least one Rory Gallagher intro that should be included.

Homer

..and nobody mentioned Bohemian Rhapsody...

daithi

Great song, but it goes straight into "Mama, just killed a man" without any intro. As this thread is about the best intro, it probably doesn't qualify.

+1 daithi

Homer, do you only listen to Queen when you're locked out of your brains on Duff? The intro to Bohemian Rhapsody before Freddie gets to "Mama, just killed a man" is nearly a minute long.

+1 daithi

Homer, do you only listen to Queen when you're locked out of your brains on Duff? The intro to Bohemian Rhapsody before Freddie gets to "Mama, just killed a man" is nearly a minute long.

Sorry, I got the words wrong. It starts with "Is this the real life, is this just fantasy". I guess you could consider that an intro, but it is sung rather than an instrumental intro. Unless, of course, the version I have on my iPod is missing an intro that normally appears before anyone sings.

I found this definition online: "a brief introductory passage to a piece of popular music", so maybe I was being too narrow in my thinking, although I imagine most people would define an intro as the music at the start of a song before anyone sings.

Definitely not worth falling out over.

Homer

Ah OK, you must have the Daniel O'Donnell version. The missing intro is below :-

"Is this the real life, Mammy?
Is this just fantasy, Mammy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality, Mammy.
Open up your wee eyes there Mammy
Look you up to the skies and see Mammy
I'm just a poor wee Donegal boy Mammy (Poor wee Donegal boy)
I need no sympathy, not at all, at all
Because I'm easy come, easy go
Little high, little low
Any way the wind blows
Doesn't really matter to me, Mammy, to me" :D

Back