What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

15c for a strong plastic bag which will last months is hardly a rip-off.

Who said anything about 15 cents. The bags in Lidl which I posted where at the time 47 cents, before the increase in the Tax on the bags. The larger supermarkets sold and sell the reuseable bags at €1.

Originally Posted by mercman
However, last week when I was at Lidl, I forgot my bags and had to buy some. For a standard plastic bag I was charged 37 cents EACH. Kind of counter productive for cheaper shopping don't you think !!

You said 37c - 22c of which is tax - so Lidl is charging 15c which seems to be a lot cheaper that the cost in other supermarkets if your figure of EU1 is correct. There has been no increase in the tax on plastic bags since July 2007. The higher the better as far as I'm concerned. They're an environmental hazard. The whole point of the tax is to discourage people from buying them.

Lidl are advertising a glass electric kettle this week. I would advise customers not to buy it. I bought one about nine months ago and the lid gave trouble after eight weeks. To the manufacturers credit they replaced it immediately because I had the purchase receipt. However, after another few weeks the replacement packed in completely.

Don't buy the Noodle Box from Aldi. I am not a fussy eater but these were truly disgusting. The sauce tasted of pure chemicals. Are these products really tested for authenticity? Who checks to see that they actually do contain what they say and not some artificial substitute? I had to throw them away. I can still smell the stuff...really , really nasty. The sauce with the Crispy Duck Pancake Meal was similarly horrible although the pancakes and crispy duck itself was passable. I feel sick right now.

Lidl have blueberries at approx 1/2 the price of Superquinn €2 for a small punnet, about €15 per kilo. Grapes are good value too.

Actually yes -- Dunnes Stores last week for larger quantities and better quality. And I am no fan of Dunnes

Got a couple of punnets at Dunnes last week and the quality was poor. "Overripe" at the stem. Generally get ours from Aldi/Lidl and the quality is good, especially the Brazilian grape. At Tesco Merrion today we got a punnet of first class reds for €3.49. Perhaps a case of getting what you pay for.

We got grapes before in LIDL and after 2 weeks in the fridge they still looked perfect! So they went into the bin and I won't be buying those again! One thing I don't like about LIDL is that they don't put a best before date on any of their fruit and veg, makes me suspicious of what they're hiding, especially if fruit can last 2 weeks and still look like they've just been picked!

I love the Lidl cheese but have never had d guts to try the meat there.

Anyone able to recommend d best meat in LIDL or Aldi to me - Always use the butcher for meat. i wont even buy meat in Irish shops so it isnt the fact that it is a foreign shop.

I love the Lidl cheese but have never had d guts to try the meat there.

Anyone able to recommend d best meat in LIDL or Aldi to me - Always use the butcher for meat. i wont even buy meat in Irish shops so it isnt the fact that it is a foreign shop.

You're definitely better sticking with your local butcher. I've found that the quality of meat at Aldi/Lidl is not great. A couple of times I've bought their mince and pork chops and they smelt a bit off when I was cooking them (even though they were well within their expiry date) .

The Aldi Specially Selected mince & steak is superb - great price & excellent quality. I also buy loin of bacon in Aldi for €3.99 which is really good. Their cold meat & cheese is great. I'm not a fan of their creme fraiche as it's too tkick - almost like clotted cream & doesn't have a plastic lid to seal it.

There fresh Lamb chops / pork chops and loin of bacon and chickens are
are really nice!

The cherry bakewell tarts are lovely. If you're into hotdogs, the ones they have in the fridge section are nice aswell (provided you don't think about what is in them).

Back